Can anyone hit the #$%&! dang ball.....?

DocJJ

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

April is  bad but May will get better.    Adley, Stowers, Nevin, and maybe Jones could all be up.   Its really hit or get your playing time cut for some of these guys. Some will be gone or sent down.

I’d like to see the guys we expected to hit start hitting.   Sure it will be good when help arises, but we can’t have Mullins, Hays, Mountcastle and Mancini all with OPS’s in the .600s.   I expect all of them to come around, but in the meantime it’s pretty painful.   

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Well we all wanted to see improvement in the OBP department right?   How does 8th in the AL sound?   eh?  eh?

Not too shabby!

Minor detail that we are dead last in runs scored tho.................

Mostly due to being last in RISP hitting.  I remember the broadcasters said Oakland has 3 players who are hitting over .500 w/ RISP.  So Oakland is the opposite of the O's w/ RISP.  This will equal out some as the season goes on.  O's will probably still be near last though.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d like to see the guys we expected to hit start hitting.   Sure it will be good when help arises, but we can’t have Mullins, Hays, Mountcastle and Mancini all with OPS’s in the .600s.   I expect all of them to come around, but in the meantime it’s pretty painful.   

Internal competition make teams better.  Lengthing the good hitters in the lineup makes the team better.  Adding Adley over Chirinos, Nevin at 3B with Urias/Jones at 2B should makes the offense better.

If Stowers is hot and here and Santander, Hays, Mancini, or Mountcastle are batting .200 who plays most days.

If Urias/Jones are on the bench with one of the 4 outfielder the O's have better pinch hitters late in the game.  

I think have better players on the team in May could make the team hit better overall.

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Well we all wanted to see improvement in the OBP department right?   How does 8th in the AL sound?   eh?  eh?

Not too shabby!

Minor detail that we are dead last in runs scored tho.................

We are leading the league in both walks and strikeouts.  Last in homers and slugging, with a pathetic .086 ISO.  And, we are hitting .118/.252/.237 with RISP.  We actually have the third most RISP opportunities in the AL.  Just gotta start cashing them in.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Internal competition make teams better.  Lengthing the good hitters in the lineup makes the team better.  Adding Adley over Chirinos, Nevin at 3B with Urias/Jones at 2B should makes the offense better.

If Stowers is hot and here and Santander, Hays, Mancini, or Mountcastle are batting .200 who plays most days.

If Urias/Jones are on the bench with one of the 4 outfielder the O's have better pinch hitters late in the game.  

I think have better players on the team in May could make the team hit better overall.

I’m not denying that adding these guys may improve the team.  I’m just saying we have some reasonably well established players who aren’t playing up to their capabilities yet.   They can and will do much better, I believe, regardless of who else joins the team.  

It’s also possible that some of our minor leaguers won’t do that well in the majors, especially at first.   I hope not, but we’ll see, when the time comes.   

6 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

In back-to-back games we've had Ryan McKenna and Roughned Odor batting 5th.

Hey, if Sig's compute spits that out, you just go with it.

Maybe Sig forgot to update it with "Trying to win" instead of "trying to lose" over the last three years? :D

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

April is  bad but May will get better.    Adley, Stowers, Nevin, and maybe Jones could all be up.   Its really hit or get your playing time cut for some of these guys. Some will be gone or sent down.

April showers bring Adley, GRod, and Stowers? Sorry, I’ll show myself out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We are leading the league in both walks and strikeouts.  Last in homers and slugging, with a pathetic .086 ISO.  And, we are hitting .118/.252/.237 with RISP.  We actually have the third most RISP opportunities in the AL.  Just gotta start cashing them in.  

I wonder if this is players adjusting to the "swing decisions" approach at the major league level? The lack of power from this team is striking, even from the actual power hitters. This team has hit 4 home runs in 10 games. Now maybe they're all off to slow starts, but at some point you have to question is this part of the process? 

They say offense is always behind pitching to start the season and that seems to be true this year.  Posnanski's article about homers decreasing is some evidence of that.  

But this offense is what it's always been for the past few years...low OBP.  Impatient hitters.  Boom or bust.  They'll explode for a few runs one night, get shut out the next.   

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They say offense is always behind pitching to start the season and that seems to be true this year.  Posnanski's article about homers decreasing is some evidence of that.  

But this offense is what it's always been for the past few years...low OBP.  Impatient hitters.  Boom or bust.  They'll explode for a few runs one night, get shut out the next.   

The O's are 1st in the AL in walks.  The low OBP is because they are just not hitting to begin the season.