Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Talk about a guy who was ahead of his time.  He'd be making a ton if he played today.

Phillips was the new Gil McDougald.  And McDougald was an echo of the players from the early days of small rosters when King Kelly and Buck Ewing were big stars who'd play six or seven different positions.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am cognizant of child labor laws.

So maybe you can explain something to me.  Last week DC United started a guy named Matai Akinmboni, who was born in October 2006, a few months before my oldest kid who's a sophomore in high school.  He's 15 and he's signed to a fully professional contract.  Freddy Adu did something similar in 2004 when he was 14.

I guess it's just a CBA rule or gentleman's agreement with MLB that they won't sign anyone under 16 or 18, depending on where they're born?

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So maybe you can explain something to me.  Last week DC United started a guy named Matai Akinmboni, who was born in October 2006, a few months before my oldest kid who's a sophomore in high school.  He's 15 and he's signed to a fully professional contract.  Freddy Adu did something similar in 2004 when he was 14.

I guess it's just a CBA rule or gentleman's agreement with MLB that they won't sign anyone under 16 or 18, depending on where they're born?

To be fair, no one cares about soccer in this country, so it’s kind of whatever.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

19 games left and he has 54 PA.

They are likely going to need to sit him a few games to insure he doesn’t go over the threshold.

The cutoff is 130 at-bats, not plate appearances. He has 50 at-bats so he would need to average 4.21 at-bats per game to reach 130.

Cedric Mullins is averaging 4.3 at-bats per game this season batting leadoff, so there is pretty much no way that Henderson would need to sit more than one game, if that, to exceed 80 more at-bats.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well for one that’s not true.  

And I love soccer.  AFC Richmond is the best and Roy Kent is one of the greatest players ever.

He's here, he's there, he's every ___ing where.

An average Premier League match on NBC's platforms gets about 500k viewers.  The average O's or Nats game on MASN gets less than 50k.  I'm going to guess that if MASN was available all over the country like NBC those numbers would go up by several dozen.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You take a random shot at me, I respond with a joke and you decide to fact check my joke?

OK!

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The cutoff is 130 at-bats, not plate appearances. He has 50 at-bats so he would need to average 4.21 at-bats per game to reach 130.

Cedric Mullins is averaging 4.3 at-bats per game this season batting leadoff, so there is pretty much no way that Henderson would need to sit more than one game, if that, to exceed 80 more at-bats.

I wouldn’t say no way. A lot of things can play into that.  Do the Os have some high scoring games where guys get to the plate 5 or 6 times?  Any extra innings games?

IIrC, the Os don’t have a day off the rest of the year, so he’s going to sit out if necessity, so I think this is moot anyway.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's here, he's there, he's every ___ing where.

An average Premier League match on NBC's platforms gets about 500k viewers.  The average O's or Nats game on MASN gets less than 50k.  I'm going to guess that if MASN was available all over the country like NBC those numbers would go up by several dozen.

500k isn’t a ton of people and how many of them were born elsewhere and are now living here?

Soccer is very very far down the list for Americans.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

500k isn’t a ton of people and how many of them were born elsewhere and are now living here?

Soccer is very very far down the list for Americans.

If you look at the under 50 demographic that's more true for baseball than soccer. And baseball is doing fine. For now. But the trend lines are going in opposite directions.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If you look at the under 50 demographic that's more true for baseball than soccer. And baseball is doing fine. For now. But the trend lines are going in opposite directions.

That speaks more about baseball than it does soccer.  But sure, soccer is more popular now than it was 10-20 years ago.  Otoh, it could only go up from where it was.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Mine was a joke, too!  I'm genuinely curious, and you seem to know stuff.

With baseball I'm pretty sure it's in the CBA.

Why child athletes are allowed to circumvent child labor laws in the US I have no idea.

Michelle Wie for instance was a pro at 15.

I suppose I could research the issue but I don't have much interest in it.

• Upvote 1