Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Use your head.  It's the same ball against the same kind of bats, usually made out of maple, maybe hickory.  If ballplayers are swinging at the same speed, it's going to make the same sound.

The variables here are the ballparks, specifically how many people are in the ballpark.  Human beings packed close together absorb sound.  That's why Gunnar's homer sounded so loud last night, it ricocheted off the seats in Fenway.  That's why spring training homers sound so loud, those little stadiums are rarely full and the sound bounces off the seats which are metal and/or plastic.

The other variable is the microphone placement for the TV crews and where they're located.  No one here heard Gunnar's shot last night with their own ears unless you were at the stadium, you heard it through a TV microphone somewhere in Fenway and out through your TV speakers.  The closer that microphone is to the batter's box, the louder it'll be.

I'm sure a guy like Henderson sounds different than Phillips on average because he's bigger and stronger, but no one can tell me that a 110 EV from Stanton and a 110 EV from Phillips hit with the same type of bat on a pitch at the same velocity sounds drastically different.  

That's why Buck O'Neil said what he said about Bo Jackson.  He heard Bo hitting in batting practice, in an empty Royals stadium, the sound rifling off empty seats.  I'm gonna do a @DrungoHazewoodand be a baseball romantic killjoy,  but do we trust a man in his 70s and his memory of what Babe Ruth's bat and Josh Gibson's bat sounded like 50 or 60 years prior?  

No. 

But it makes a great story, it gets people right in their feelers.  Babe Ruth.  Josh Gibson.  Bo Jackson.  Wow.  

But I'm sure if Phil Rizzuto really got a hold of one at one point, it'd sound similar.

An acoustic bat could probably be designed so that even if Brett Phillips is hitting the ball at 90 EV it would sound way louder and better than say Stanton hitting the ball at 110.  That would blow the minds of the old timers. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

And is the force vector in the same direction of the rotation of the earth or opposite, or something in between

Perhaps a West bound HR, sounds different than an East bound HR.

Also since sound it propagated by air, the direction of the wind relative to the observer (fan) needs to be accounted for.

Are you taking the Coriolis effect into account?

20 hours ago, Aglets said:

Force does indeed equal mass * acceleration.  Now assume you have two batted balls with equal exit velocities.  Is it your contention that one might spend a longer time in contact with the wood than the other which would lead to a significant difference in acceleration?

I guess the initial velocity from the pitch coming in is another variable actually. 

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the contact times are so close on same exit velocities as to be irrelevant.

16 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

An acoustic bat could probably be designed so that even if Brett Phillips is hitting the ball at 90 EV it would sound way louder and better than say Stanton hitting the ball at 110.  That would blow the minds of the old timers. 

If I were the Rays in their dome I'd totally replace normal air with some other mixture that includes inert(ish) gases like argon or helium or sulfur hexaflouride that have different acoustic properties to make the sound off the bat really wild.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If I were the Rays in their dome I'd totally replace normal air with some other mixture that includes inert(ish) gases like argon or helium or sulfur hexaflouride that have different acoustic properties to make the sound off the bat really wild.

Ah, but do dead men swing bats?

• Haha 1