Despite losing 7-6, there were some things to like last night

InsideCoroner

Tough loss yesterday to the Halos, but there were some encouraging signs in there on a game that looked like a lost cause early on. 

First, giving up six runs in the first inning made it look like this could easily be the sort of day where Bemboom winds up on the mound to mop things up. Starer Chris Ellis didn't retire a batter in the first (3 walks, HBP, single), but said afterwards he had shoulder discomfort. Although Lakins inherited the bases full with no out and gave up a grand slam to Adell, the pen held them in check from the 2nd inning onwards, and we finally saw some offense from Mancini and Hayes, who each hit homers, while Mullins got on base four times (a double, bunt single and two walks). The O's managed to tie the score before giving up a run in the bottom of the 7th. Baumann loaded the bases with two outs in the 7th, and Bautista was brought in to try and escape the jam, but he walked Taylor Ward on a full-count pitch. Ward said after the game he had a feeling he wouldn't get a strike there so he was taking even if the pitch was right down the middle, and unfortunately he was right. 

Once again pretty solid defense from the regulars, Chirinos is still a breath of fresh air blocking balls behind the plate in the aftermath of Severino (and Chirinos threw out the only runner that tried to steal, which was Ohtani), and the bullpen did their job. Let's see if the bats can continue to thaw in New York this week.

• Upvote 1

Yeah if you listen to Hyde's post game he was pretty upbeat about things, and he's usually not like that after a loss. But the team pitched well outside of Ellis, who was clearly injured, Lakins and Akin covered a huge 5 innings of 1 or 2-run ball. Trey and Hays got off the homer schnide. Mountcastle knocked in some runs. Santander continues to get on base. Good base running. 

Won the series. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Baumann got tagged with the loss but had a great inning in the 6th throwing 98. He put two runners on with 1 out in the 7th but Bautista walked in the go ahead run that got charged to Baumann.

To be clear, Baumann loaded the bases with one out.   Single, walk, HBP.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, Baumann loaded the bases with one out.   Single, walk, HBP.

Yes, Baumann did not have much command yesterday.  I would not be surprise to see him be one of the pitchers optioned next  week if he doesn't do better this week.

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yes, Baumann did not have much command yesterday.  I would not be surprise to see him be one of the pitchers optioned next  week if he doesn't do better this week.

I certainly hope not. Just keep running him out there, we have to figure out if he can figure it out up here. To me it looks like he just needs the reps. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I certainly hope not. Just keep running him out there, we have to figure out if he can figure it out up here. To me it looks like he just needs the reps. 

I think we should be patient with him.  I’m not as high on Baumann as some people, but I don’t want to see him yo-yoing.

Ist batters for relievers always end up pissing me off.  Lakins gives up the slam.  Bautista walks in a run.  That can't happen.  Tough situations.  Both guys coming in with bases loaded.  I get it.  But total failure in both cases.  Can't enter a game and throw gas on the fire.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ellis's spot is the 5th starter and the O's need one of those.

That spot comes up on Saturday, so they could make a move Sunday and then another one when they need a fifth starter.   I really don’t like to guess what they’ll do, because there are so many permutations.