Tyler Nevin 2022

Yardball85

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

After all Trout is slumping right now the O’s would be taking a big risk trading for him. 

Honestly, trading for a guy who’s got $334 mm remaining on his contract at ages 30-38 is pretty risky, no matter how good that player has been to date.   If anyone’s worth that risk, he is, but let’s not pretend it’s not risky.   

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Instead of trading Hays for pitching, convert him to a pitcher.  Hays was clocked at 106 on throw to plate.  Must have been problem with radar gun. 

Or, he had a couple of steps of forward momentum when he let it fly.  Make the catch running in and then let loose.  

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While 106 is the hardest I've seen I saw a 105.5 last year and numbers over 100 aren't that rare.

Yeah, just looked this up.  There’s a few over 100 every year.  If Hays really did 106 that might break the record.  

Almost a hundred AB’s and an OPS under. 600 & .1 WAR. The defense is not stellar.  I’m glad they gave him his shot to perform, but his ABs are not inspiring.  How much longer do you think the tryout continues?  100 ABs?  150 ABs?  Would be a nice story, but I just don’t see him making the next step.  

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, trading for a guy who’s got $334 mm remaining on his contract at ages 30-38 is pretty risky, no matter how good that player has been to date.   If anyone’s worth that risk, he is, but let’s not pretend it’s not risky.   

Well, of course the Angels would have to retain most of his salary. 🙂

While I'm going from stale memory of my reading about this stuff, I think Trout is the kind of multi-talented superstar who will be valuable well into his 30s. If the Angels don't look like they're turning things around by, say, next season, I can see Trout going to the Mets, NYYs or his hometown Phillies.

57 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Well, of course the Angels would have to retain most of his salary. 🙂

While I'm going from stale memory of my reading about this stuff, I think Trout is the kind of multi-talented superstar who will be valuable well into his 30s. If the Angels don't look like they're turning things around by, say, next season, I can see Trout going to the Mets, NYYs or his hometown Phillies.

Oh, I expect Trout to remain very valuable, if he can remain healthy, which has been an issue for him the last 4-5 years.   I can envision scenarios where he outperforms his contract.   We’re talking about a guy whose typical healthy season has been worth $65 - 75 mm (by Fangraphs’ methodology), and who’s on pace for that this year.  He’s got room to step down from his historical performance and still outperform his deal.  But the health risk is real, and we’ve certainly seen other fantastic players who dropped off more than expected in their 30’s.   So, he’s still risky, though with good upside, too.

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Oh, I expect Trout to remain very valuable, if he can remain healthy, which has been an issue for him the last 4-5 years.   I can envision scenarios where he outperforms his contract.   We’re talking about a guy whose typical healthy season has been worth $65 - 75 mm (by Fangraphs’ methodology), and who’s on pace for that this year.  He’s got room to step down from his historical performance and still outperform his deal.  But the health risk is real, and we’ve certainly seen other fantastic players who dropped off more than expected in their 30’s.   So, he’s still risky, though with good upside, too.

And I'm guessing that at some point the Angels will reluctantly part with that risk if they don't see much benefit to the upside by dealing Trout and his contract to a team that can afford the risk and sees a World Series as the upside. 

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

And I'm guessing that at some point the Angels will reluctantly part with that risk if they don't see much benefit to the upside by dealing Trout and his contract to a team that can afford the risk and sees a World Series as the upside. 

He’s certainly being wasted with the Angels.   But they’d really tick off their fan base if they traded him.  Not sure they have the guts to do it.