The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

5:21pm: There's a report from Channel 5 in Boston saying John Henry and Theo Epstein will meet with Scott Boras tonight and "hope to have an agreement with the free-agent first baseman sometime tonight or tomorrow morning."

MLBTR

Thank goodness its over. Now lets hit Manny and Dunn with some WOW offers and get on with getting some starters.:clap3::clap3::clap3:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still hoping they are using this to try and get more out of the O's. The fact the O's have a shot says a lot. I still have hope this will work out.

Besides, if he does sign with the Sox, we are no worse off then we are now or were last year.

Actually at this point we are worse off than last year.

We lost DCab who at this point would be our #2 starter.

Boston also is a better team because of Tex.

So we have less pitching and one of our division opponents has increased their offense greatly. And lets not forget what the Yanks have done this offseason to improve.

I think it is likely a deal would get done but you just don't know...Maybe Boston is saying, lets meet and see if we can have any movement on this?

I don't really know...I don't think it is a guarantee unless the money is there and no other team is saying they will beat it.

Unless Tex really doesn't want to play for Baltimore, I just can't see how Angelos can let Tex go to a team the Orioles face for the next 8 seasons...

Can't blame JTrea. If AM has decided to put garbage out on the field, why should we just lap it up?

So Markakis, Huff, Wieters, Jones, Roberts, Wieters, et al are garbage unless we land one guy who is going to be paid entirely too much money?

Get a grip on reality, and realize that $20MM contracts don't get passed out like Halloween candy by teams, there's got to be a really good reason, and I don't think think Teixiera is as worth it as some of you obviously do, it's not like he's Albert Pujols or Alex Rodriguez or even Cal Ripken, he's a power hitting first basemen, of which there are an abundance, and of which we have one on our team, he's just been stuck in the purgatory of being a DH for the past couple years...

And if the Red Sox want to pay him his outrageous salary, let them, we'll get over it with a quickness, well, if we aren't blithering idiots, anyway.

That's pretty much bad news.

I guess we'll prepare to hate Tex for the next 8 years...

Mark Teixeira will be #1 on Baltimore's most hated list.

As he should be. He has a chance to make a ton of money and play for the team he supposedly wanted to play for, and spurned us.

I'm beginning to think that was all BS all along. I wouldn't be shocked if Boras wasn't planning this out and had Tex say he wanted to be an Oriole, to get Bos and NY to go all out.

Hmmm, I'm just wondering if the holdup was to hold up a Tex to Boston announcement until Tex could get out of Baltimore for his family visit.

Either way, Tex will feel right at home when he comes to OPACY anyhow. Kinda hard to hear Boos when you have 40,000 of Red Sox nations finest cheering him on.

I actually fell for it again. That we had hope. This one isn't on Angelos or AM. We were played. And to make it worse, he's going to the one place that stings most, other then NY. And to be honest, I hate the Red Sox worse. Well, good luck Tex in 5 or 6 years when Boston is done with you. Ask Nomar, Schilling, and Damon. Papi and Lowell are about to find out.

This could all be just a Boras rumor too to see if any of the other teams flinch.

The only person reporting this is a local Boston sports reporter who could have been fed a line.

The really odd part is the Boston owner going down to Texas too. It seems kindof odd that he would be that personally involved if they were just hammering out details.

I want Tex as much as the next guy, but simply put the best offer on the table and let it go. If Tex doesn't like it, move on. It's one battle in a long war. There are other trades to be made and players to sign. Sure, none probably as good as Tex, but really don't think the WS was going to be won next year with him.

And, yes, I understand the importance to us as fans and the city of Baltimore for Tex to sign with the O's. But maybe this failure will finally push Angelos out of the Warehouse for a new owner. (I have to find a silver lining in this cloud somehow or I will lose my mind.) :(

Unless Tex really doesn't want to play for Baltimore, I just can't see how Angelos can let Tex go to a team the Orioles face for the next 8 seasons...

I agree. I don't think he's going to. We're just a seriously impatient bunch of fatalists round here. For good reason of course.

Why does everyone automaticly think that they are finishing up a deal if the Big Boys are down in Texas?

My take is almost the opposite.

If they were about to sign him Tex would be in Boston. The fact that they are in Texas smells of desperation to me.

I do think it is almost over.

I think that he wants to take our offer but Boras says "You want him? I'm in Texas so get on down here and prove it or he is going to be an Oriole.?

Hopefully.

Archived