The Delmarva Shorebird Report (Hitters)

RZNJ

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

July 1 update, on a day where if 95 South is not an impossible wall I am hoping to get down to Fred Nats tonight, and surely jinx Kjerstad's consecutive multi-hit game streak.

There is no amount of money you could pay me to attempt to drive between the DC Beltway and Fredericksburg on the Friday of a holiday weekend.   Good luck!

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Anyone notice that Delmarva has been hitting the snot out of the ball of late?  80 runs scored in their last 13 games dating back to July 14, 50 runs in the last 7 games.

I noticed they were doing better, but didn't realize they were doing THAT much better! I like what Bencosme is doing. Hope they keep it up.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Anyone notice that Delmarva has been hitting the snot out of the ball of late?  80 runs scored in their last 13 games dating back to July 14, 50 runs in the last 7 games.

Didn't know the exact numbers but definitely noticed an increase. Isaac Deleon, Valdez, and Deson have been doing better and Bencosme has started to deliver some extra base power lately.  Trendon Craig also picking it up lately. 

It looks like Isaac de Leon clubbed a 108 MPH HR yesterday - slashing .299/.372/.494 in the last month.  He also is sporting the 4th best walk rate in the Carolina League ~17%.

But he looks to have sacrificed some of his patience for power, with his K rate over 32% the last month versus the full season rate of 29%.  His walk rate has also been 8% the last month, but he is substituting it with hard contact at least.

It will be interesting to watch his K rate to see if this is more than just a hot streak.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

It looks like Isaac de Leon clubbed a 108 MPH HR yesterday - slashing .299/.372/.494 in the last month.  He also is sporting the 4th best walk rate in the Carolina League ~17%.

But he looks to have sacrificed some of his patience for power, with his K rate over 32% the last month versus the full season rate of 29%.  His walk rate has also been 8% the last month, but he is substituting it with hard contact at least.

It will be interesting to watch his K rate to see if this is more than just a hot streak.

De Leon is an interesting guy because of his raw power that he's still learning how to bring into games. He really struggles on changeups and sliders though and he reminds me a bit of a right-handed Isaac Bellony. Bellony found High-A pitching overwhelming and I feat De Leon will have the same issue if he can't learn to hit or stay off out of the zone offspeed pitches.

He can murder some fastballs though. Defensively he's got the arm for third base, but doesn't have the hands or range to really play there effectively. He's destined for 1B but if his power can develop, he could potentially end up a prospect there.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

De Leon is an interesting guy because of his raw power that he's still learning how to bring into games. He really struggles on changeups and sliders though and he reminds me a bit of a right-handed Isaac Bellony. Bellony found High-A pitching overwhelming and I feat De Leon will have the same issue if he can't learn to hit or stay off out of the zone offspeed pitches.

He can murder some fastballs though. Defensively he's got the arm for third base, but doesn't have the hands or range to really play there effectively. He's destined for 1B but if his power can develop, he could potentially end up a prospect there.

Thanks for the nice insights Tony! So basically it sounds he basically has to start crushing the ball to become a dude down the line.  Do you think he has the footspeed to convert to RF?

2 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

Thanks for the nice insights Tony! So basically it sounds he basically has to start crushing the ball to become a dude down the line.  Do you think he has the footspeed to convert to RF?

Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to his footspeed but will look at it a little closer now. Considering they still play him at SS occasionally, I'd probably guess yes he could play RF, but I'll need to watch for that aspect of him before saying so.

• Upvote 1

The Orioles jumped most of their 2021 college draftees to Aberdeen which makes me think they’ll do the same with the 2022 group.   Deson, Acevedo, will be 20 to start next year. Willems will be 19.   Deleon will be 21. Prado and Romero will be 21.   I suspect most of these guys repeat and Basallo, Holliday, and Delosantos get added.   And my sleeper, Angel Tejada.  Lol

Most of the pitching staff returns with the possible exception of Juan Delosantos.

Next years team might be interesting.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles jumped most of their 2021 college draftees to Aberdeen which makes me think they’ll do the same with the 2022 group.   Deson, Acevedo, will be 20 to start next year. Willems will be 19.   Deleon will be 21. Prado and Romero will be 21.   I suspect most of these guys repeat and Basallo, Holliday, and Delosantos get added.   And my sleeper, Angel Tejada.  Lol

Most of the pitching staff returns with the possible exception of Juan Delosantos.

Next years team might be interesting.

I'm being lazy here, but are there two players named Delosantos nearly at the same level in our system?

28 minutes ago, justD said:

I'm being lazy here, but are there two players named Delosantos nearly at the same level in our system?

Juan, the RHP is 20, listed at 6’3 250 has been at Delmarva all year.  Pretty good. Reportedly mid 90’s and it looks it in video.

Anderson is 18, around 5’11, plays 3B in the FCL.  He’s highly regarded even though he’s hitting about .200 right now.  Good power. Good plate discipline.

• Thanks 1