Guess who’s in last place in the AL East (hint: it’s not us, again!)

Frobby

I’m just taking a moment to savor the fact that it’s May 7 and we are not in last place in the AL East, thanks to the LAST PLACE RED SOX!

You have to enjoy these things while you can…

(Shout out to @OriolesMagic83for pointing this out in another thread.)

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m just taking a moment to savor the fact that it’s May 7 and we are not in last place in the AL East, thanks to the LAST PLACE RED SOX!

You have to enjoy these things while you can…

(Shout out to @OriolesMagic83for pointing this out in another thread.)

We obviously don't know how things will play out, but there's definitely some reasons for optimism. 

The journey is long but I can't wait to see some of the youngsters get their chances.

39 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

BTW we are also out of the 2023 draft lottery as six MLB teams currently have worse winning percentages!

Good. Let the Reds be the whipping boy. It’ll be nice to be removed from that conversation about tanking. 

• Upvote 1

Their 2021 dead cat bounce made it seem silly, but a part of me has preferred the Orioles decade to theirs since the moment of the great Mookie insult to championship-caliber teams.

Part of the downballot list of covid frustrations is when they were about as bad as us (as I feel they really are now, but would not have been over 162 in 2020) in a small sample size the result gifted them Marcelo Mayer and his Moose Milligan trademark punchable face.  Mayer feels like he should rightfully be ours, and then he would be a good-looking guy.

The stalwart Eovaldi season really carried them last year, but him, his two Tommy Johns and that heavy workload are maybe starting to look a little frayed around the edges.   Not anyone I'd be super excited about buying 4 years of even if he keeps it together the rest of 2022.

12 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

BTW we are also out of the 2023 draft lottery as six MLB teams currently have worse winning percentages!

Actually we're still in the lottery and could get the top pick. It's just that our chances are lower now.

"The first six picks in each year’s draft will be awarded via lottery beginning in 2023. The 18 teams that do not qualify for the postseason will be eligible for the lottery, with odds assigned in reverse order of winning percentage."

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/guide-to-the-new-cba-draft-lottery-expanded-playoffs-and-more/

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, hutchead said:

Actually we're still in the lottery and could get the top pick. It's just that our chances are lower now.

"The first six picks in each year’s draft will be awarded via lottery beginning in 2023. The 18 teams that do not qualify for the postseason will be eligible for the lottery, with odds assigned in reverse order of winning percentage."

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/guide-to-the-new-cba-draft-lottery-expanded-playoffs-and-more/

Thanks for that.  That’s quite the formula to try to control tanking.  

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If I read that right, the 18 teams that miss the playoffs are in the lottery, so a team that barely misses the playoffs could get very lucky and pick 1st. 

That is correct. But they would have to be lucky indeed. The first team to miss out on the playoffs only has a 0.23% chance of obtaining the first pick.

Edited by hutchead

4 minutes ago, hutchead said:

That is correct. But they would have to be lucky indeed. The first team to miss out on the playoffs only has a 0.23% chance of obtaining the first pick.

And the team w/ the worst record could choose 18th, if I read it right.  I know the NBA has the top slots by lottery (3 or 4 picks?)  then it goes in reverse order of record.  If the team w/ the worst record doesn't get a top 3 pick, I believe it will get the 4th pick.  This doesn't seem to be the case for MLB.