Guess who’s in last place in the AL East (hint: it’s not us, again!)

Frobby

For the drawing process, 14 ping pong balls numbered 1-14 are placed into a machine. The balls are mixed around in the machine with four being drawn one by one in 10-second intervals to make up a four-digit combination. Whichever team owns the four-digit combination that comes up first is awarded the No. 1 pick. That process is then repeated for the second, third and fourth picks. The rest of the lottery, pick Nos. 5-14, falls into place by inverse order of the regular-season standings.

https://sports.yahoo.com/know-2022-nba-draft-lottery-140025099.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall

It is a lottery for the top 4 teams, and the picks 5-14 are in reverse order of record.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

And the team w/ the worst record could choose 18th, if I read it right.  I know the NBA has the top slots by lottery (3 or 4 picks?)  then it goes in reverse order of record.  If the team w/ the worst record doesn't get a top 3 pick, I believe it will get the 4th pick.  This doesn't seem to be the case for MLB.

I've not seen that specifically addressed but I would assume that after the first six picks it would be like the NBA and picks 7-18 would go by reverse order. In which case the team with the worst record would pick seventh at the worst if they didn't win any of the top six picks.

32 minutes ago, Greenpastures23 said:

Why is Alex Cora trying to look ancient on purpose. He looks older than my 75 year old dad

Hey hey hey - I resemble that remark!  I actually thought the same.  I had a grey beard many years back and lost ten years by shaving.  Perhaps he's waiting for that "shaving moment" to start a winning streak?  Channeling @Just Regular

29 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Hey hey hey - I resemble that remark!  I actually thought the same.  I had a grey beard many years back and lost ten years by shaving.  Perhaps he's waiting for that "shaving moment" to start a winning streak?  Channeling @Just Regular

Bob, to you 75 is a young whippersnapper!   But you think young and golf young, so those whippersnappers got nothing on you!   The next time I shoot in the 80’s will be my first.   

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2022 at 12:53 PM, Just Regular said:

Their 2021 dead cat bounce made it seem silly, but a part of me has preferred the Orioles decade to theirs since the moment of the great Mookie insult to championship-caliber teams.

Part of the downballot list of covid frustrations is when they were about as bad as us (as I feel they really are now, but would not have been over 162 in 2020) in a small sample size the result gifted them Marcelo Mayer and his Moose Milligan trademark punchable face.  Mayer feels like he should rightfully be ours, and then he would be a good-looking guy.

The stalwart Eovaldi season really carried them last year, but him, his two Tommy Johns and that heavy workload are maybe starting to look a little frayed around the edges.   Not anyone I'd be super excited about buying 4 years of even if he keeps it together the rest of 2022.

Are you trolling. The Orioles haven't even made a World Series since I was 3. I'm now 41

On 5/7/2022 at 12:53 PM, Just Regular said:

Their 2021 dead cat bounce made it seem silly, but a part of me has preferred the Orioles decade to theirs since the moment of the great Mookie insult to championship-caliber teams.

Part of the downballot list of covid frustrations is when they were about as bad as us (as I feel they really are now, but would not have been over 162 in 2020) in a small sample size the result gifted them Marcelo Mayer and his Moose Milligan trademark punchable face.  Mayer feels like he should rightfully be ours, and then he would be a good-looking guy.

The stalwart Eovaldi season really carried them last year, but him, his two Tommy Johns and that heavy workload are maybe starting to look a little frayed around the edges.   Not anyone I'd be super excited about buying 4 years of even if he keeps it together the rest of 2022.

Are you trolling. The Orioles haven't even made a World Series since I was 3. I'm now 41

• Frobby changed the title to Guess who’s in last place in the AL East? (Hint: it’s us again!)
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, our respite from last place lasted 9 days.   Will we see fourth place again?  

Really missing Mountcastle and Hays

and speaking of Hays I realize how I didn't do my annual rant on why I would (if king of the Orioles) impose a ban from top to bottom on headfirst slides. Yet another hand injury from sliding head first, this time even more ridiculous because it was a slide into first base.

13 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Really missing Mountcastle and Hays

and speaking of Hays I realize how I didn't do my annual rant on why I would (if king of the Orioles) impose a ban from top to bottom on headfirst slides. Yet another hand injury from sliding head first, this time even more ridiculous because it was a slide into first base.

This team has no depth (thought we had some OF in AAA) so when injuries happen they really hurt bad.