The 2022 Aberdeen Ironbirds

Frobby

The 2022 Ironbirds are off to a roaring 19-6 start, leading the High A Sally League.   Many of the key players on this team were drafted in 2021 and played with an excellent Delmarva team down the stretch last year.   

Offensively, the team is averaging 5.84 runs per game, 4th/12 in the league.  They lead the league in OPS at .818 and are second in BA, OBP and SLG.  They are second in walks and dead last in strikeouts.  They’ve been great on the basepaths, 48 steals (3rd in the league) while only being caught six times, good for an 89% success rate.   To top it off, the average age of the hitters is 22.3, fourth youngest in the league.   

The pitching has some interesting attributes as well.   The staff is 5th/12 in ERA at 3.99 and runs allowed per game at 4.32.   They have the lowest WHIP in the league at 1.187.   The are second in K/9 at 11.6, best in BB/9 at 2.9, and best in K/BB at 3.96.   That 3.96 mark would be excellent for just about any pitcher, let alone an entire team.   About the only negative on the pitching staff is they are slightly older than league average, 23.5 vs. 23.2.  

Individually, the Ironbirds have six regulars boasting an .800+ OPS — Prieto (currently injured), Rhodes, Mayo, Williams, Norby and Burns.   1st rounder Colton Cowser is slightly under at .786, but is still featuring a .388 OBP even though he really hasn’t gotten his bat going yet.   Overall, this is an incredibly patient, pass the baton kind of offense that can do damage anywhere in the lineup. 

The rotation regularly features Justin Armbruester (2021 12 rounder), Jean Pinto (international player), Houston Roth (2019 overslot 29th rounder) and Carlos Tavera (2021 5th rounder).   The fifth spot is spread around.  There are six pitchers who’ve thrown at least 10 innings and are averaging at least 11 K/9, led by long reliever Ignacio Feliz with 31 strikeouts in 15.2 innings.

The 12th rounder Armbruester is interesting to me, as he’s been solid in every category: 3.10 ERA, 1.131 WHIP, 11.1 K/9, 1.8 BB/9, 6.25 K/BB.  None of the pitchers have been pushed yet, with Roth leading the starters with 21.0 innings in 5 starts.

Anyway, Aberdeen is a fun team to follow night in and night out.   

• Upvote 3

IIRC, Aberdeen has recently been a fairly extreme pitchers park (forgive me, I don't know where to look up that data and I know it's been hashed out on here before).  That could create even more optimism among some of the offensive numbers we're seeing there, while also giving some pause to some of the pitching performances.

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I want to come back to Armbruester.   Six strong innings tonight, 2 runs (both on solo homers), 8 K’s.   He only threw 79 pitches.   Wondering if @Tony-OHhas seen him pitch and what we have here.   

I didn't see tonight. Heard the velocity has updticked to 92-94, t 96 which makes him interesting. I havent got a good enough look to give too accurate a report. When I saw him he was mostly a fastball-slider guy with a straght change that was not very good.

I-Birds win again tonight.  Winning pitcher Connor Gillispie entered the game in the fourth inning and pitched 6 scoreless innings, only allowing one hit, walking nobody while striking out 8.   He’s had three very good outings in a row.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I-Birds win again tonight.  Winning pitcher Connor Gillispie entered the game in the fourth inning and pitched 6 scoreless innings, only allowing one hit, walking nobody while striking out 8.   He’s had three very good outings in a row.  

All those K's likely because Aberdeen is a pitcher's park?  😉

Edit -  nvm.  They are on the road.  I'll recycle this joke at a later date.  Please ignore.

12-team Sally league, after Tavera's good control again last night, looks like four of their starters among the league's Top 20 in YTD K-BB%

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=14&stats=pit&qual=20&type=1&team=all&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

Armbruester 4th, Gillispie 8th, Pinto 13th, Tavera 16th

Armbruester 100K in 2021 draft (New Mexico college like Bradish-Ortiz - just the state, don't believe same school)

Gillisipie 125K in 2019 draft from VCU

Pinto an Angels trade

Tavera 375K in 2021 draft from Texas-Arlington.   

On 5/13/2022 at 10:07 PM, Frobby said:

They need to move him up. Bowie is struggling on the pitching end, with 1/2 their starters out on injury. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Frobby said:

Fun article on the Ironbirds’ base stealing: https://www.masnsports.com/blog/one-surprising-area-on-stat-sheet-where-aberdeen-is-strong

One thing I didn’t know is that minor leaguers are now limited to two pickoff attempts per batter.  If they make a third one snd don’t mail the runner, it’s an automatic ball.  

Aberdeen is in one of the test conferences for some of the rules changes. Pitch clock, pick off attempts, base sizes too I think.  It’s not all MiLB.  Half is a control group.

• 3 weeks later...