Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

It should be interesting to see if he finally signs here what guys like Olney will say. Especially if what he signs for here will not be the hometown discount. They will probably spin it that we overpaid, and that is the only reason that we got him.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the way I am thinking. I don't believe he is going to the Angels due to the fact he wants to play on the East Coast. I think the Sox are really out of it. That comes down to the Nats and us. With Tex saying before he cares about winning, I think that takes the Nats out of the picture. That brings it back to us. Tex has stated he wants to be here. I think he is an Oriole as early as today, no later then Sunday. That's my opinion. Of course it doesn't hurt, that I have been hearing positive things all along. Again, guarded optimism due to being burned before. However everything that has happened so far has been pretty much in line with the information that I have heard. We'll see........

I have been monitoring the media all morning and posting links up here for you guys...

My question is this... of all the media I've found on this matter, nothing is coming out of Baltimore. Why is it so quiet? Is there no chatter from the Warehouse?

Loose lips sink battleships

I forgot about this until now. I had a dream about the Tex derby last night. I dreamt that I got a text from an "insider" saying that we had signed Tex to a seven year, $224 million contract. I was thinking, I want the guy just as much as anyone else, but $32 million a year? That's insane.

Then about 90% asleep, I grabbed the remote to turn it on ESPNNews, because surely they would have something on about this historic contract. As soon as I turned the TV on, I realized that it was just a dream and that I was an idiot.

I love that in all of this, the only thing we've heard from Andy MacPhail is that the FO owes it to the fans to explore Tex, that he'd be disappointed if we didn't land Tex, and that his offer to Tex was flexible. That's it. No BS. No bluff e-mails. No O's players saying anything about the negotiations (Hunter), no big media reports of people on flights going to Texas, no media manipulation. Andy knows what he's doing, and he's doing it quietly, under the radar, so far out of the reach of ESPN that the Orioles are barely mentioned, even now, in regards to the negotiations. I love it.

I will love it if we get our man. If not, it's going to be widely viewed as not trying, and is going to piss off the casual Oriole fan.

If the price is as significant as it sounds. i think i would defintitely pass. Offense is no nearly the problem that pitching is, and taking on a contract this big is going to significantly hamper our flexibility in other areas. I dont think we are still in it. I think he is going to end up a Nat, and I think that contract will cripple them. Tex is good, but he ain't Mariners A-Rod good... Just my thoughts.

We have pitching in the minors that will be ML ready in 2010. You don't take the 20 or so million earmarked for Tex and go buy pitching with it. It's too high of a risk to just be throwing money away. You develop pitching with depth and redundancy, you pay for the bats.

Because we are playing the "Angels-Vlad" role in this and are going to come out of nowhere and land him...

MacPhail would announce that we are out if we were out.

No he wouldn't he would say in regardelss to make sure other teams keep their price up. I have read a lot of posts like this and i find it silly to believe the Orioles FO is operating in a dark room saying "how can we piss off Olney and Gammons today?" MUAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. No. I also find it a little hard to believe why people believe Olney is making it up.

If the price is as significant as it sounds. i think i would defintitely pass. Offense is no nearly the problem that pitching is, and taking on a contract this big is going to significantly hamper our flexibility in other areas. I dont think we are still in it. I think he is going to end up a Nat, and I think that contract will cripple them. Tex is good, but he ain't Mariners A-Rod good... Just my thoughts.

Who is this weiters character? The nucleus. Is he related at all to Matt Wieters?

Here is the way I am thinking. I don't believe he is going to the Angels due to the fact he wants to play on the East Coast. I think the Sox are really out of it. That comes down to the Nats and us. With Tex saying before he cares about winning, I think that takes the Nats out of the picture. That brings it back to us. Tex has stated he wants to be here. I think he is an Oriole as early as today no later then Sunday. That's my opinion. Of course it doesn't hurt that I have been hearing positive things all along. Again, guarded optimism due to be burned before. However, so far everything that has happened so far has been pretty much in line with the information that I have heard. We'll see........

Thank you sir...

Thats only because ESPN considers our offer so low that he wont accept it and we wont raise it so by sheer fact of them just making crap up and not reporting on the story from AM that we are flexible in our offer. We dont matter to ESPN... and for some unknown reason the Nats do.

Nats... DC.... new President-elect

Theo Epstein (quoted in November)

"In baseball, if you convince yourself you need a certain player, you’ve already lost. One player doesn’t have that much impact. It’s about building organizations. It’s not about adding players.

“There’s no player you can have to make up for an inherent weakness in the organization—a foundational weakness. You need to build the foundation up where you don’t need that one player. Yeah, you can pursue that player. He may be a great fit. But if it doesn’t work out or if the money gets ridiculous, you can turn to another player.”

http://www.weei.com/For-Red-Sox-and-Teixeira--Sound-and-Fury-Signify-B/3523486

I hate the Sox, but I would love to have this guy running the Orioles.

We have pitching in the minors that will be ML ready in 2010. You don't take the 20 or so million earmarked for Tex and go buy pitching with it. It's too high of a risk to just be throwing money away. You develop pitching with depth and redundancy, you pay for the bats.

While I guess I agree with that, it is a stretch to assume that all three will be settled in and ready. They might pitch due to a lack of options but that is not necesarrily a good thing. I would say the odds of all of them being successful at 30%, the chance of one of them being successful at 85% and the likelihood of two at 56%. Also success isnt defined by a year. Mark Prior was pretty good and then sucked after year two.

Archived