Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what if this was the plan all along?

I believe Sonny and Belkast both said they heard figures that may be 9/200, and Sonny said that might be a little low.

So, Tex tells Boras he wants to be an Oriole. So, Boras keeps the O's "WoW" offer hush hush. That way, if it gets topped, they can ask the O's to make a final bid, and if it isn't, then Tex doesn't have to explain or face taking less money to go to the Orioles.

That could explain what MacPhail said, and explain why he hasn't heard back from Boras yet on a final answe.

Am I reaching here?

This actually makes a lot of sense to me. Let's hope so!

Roy Halladay

C.C. Sabathia

John Lackey

Josh Beckett

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Jon Lester

Cliff Lee

Scott Kazmir

Matt Garza

James Shields

David Price

John Danks

Zack Grienke

Ervin Santana

Francisco Liriano

Justin Verlander

Joakim Soria (if he's converted to a starter)

Felix Hernandez

Are all SIGNIFICANTLY better pitchers than Burnett.

I think Duchscherer, Guthrie, Slowey, and Baker all could be better than him as well. If Sheets signs with an AL team, you add him to the list above.

Sorry, you're way wrong.

You're gonna be saying sorry later, for taking on Baltimoron like this. You're in way over your head, no offense.

As if we all aren't sick and tired of the guessing game and speculation already. Just ignore this post if you don't wanna make a guess, but if you feel like it, how many of you, after tonight's complete and utter mess think this is resolved one way or another tomorrow? If I had to guess I would say SOMETHING is going to finally give tomorrow. One can only hope, I'm going on no sleep! :skeletor:

Some thoughts on what was reported and what may have occurred.

From the Yahoo article: “The Boston ownership was kind enough to request and travel to meet with Mark Teixeira,” Boras said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. “While it was a very positive meeting, Mark was candid and advised he is in the process of making a decision and is now attempting to eliminate teams.”

So Boston has been eliminated but why were things reported the way they were? Boston put media pressure and a full court press on in person expecting to sign Tex or move on. They assumed that Tex could not say no to them in person given who they are and their significant offer...which is what all of the media assumed.

From a negotiating standpoint whichever team held off to deliver their "Wow" offer once they heard Boston crew was on their way really played this well...it sounds like Boras was counting on that. Sox announced that they have moved on as they were probably told that team x or teams x and y have made an acceptable offer and Tex either wants to play near his family or stay with the Angels.

Now without trying to read too much into things the way Henry phrased things and said “We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him,” Henry said. “After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor.” ... it just doesn't feel like a quote you would make if he said ..."Hey the Steinbrenners called and our dream has always been to live in NY and play for the Yankees" or "I have a better chance to win on the Angels than in Boston and don't feel like dealing with the Boston media" It sounds like Washington or Baltimore with the " Hey the money's there and want to spend the rest of my career close to where my family is etc." Hard to understand how he would defend the chance to win position as really no way to make that point with the Nationals and tough to tell the Red Sox that the O's will be better, but clearly he had already made up his mind and is down to his final (2?) teams.

Finally what is particularly interesting is that the Red Sox had been pegged as the team in the lead and most likely to sign Tex. For Boston to go from that to out of the process means that everyone (media, GM's, etc) completely misread this and there is a team that no has heard from nor anyone expected to step up.

As if we all aren't sick and tired of the guessing game and speculation already. Just ignore this post if you don't wanna make a guess, but if you feel like it, how many of you, after tonight's complete and utter mess think this is resolved one way or another tomorrow? If I had to guess I would say SOMETHING is going to finally give tomorrow. One can only hope, I'm going on no sleep! :skeletor:

Tomorrow sounds right. If he eliminated a strong team, he might just need to sleep on it before picking out of the remaining 2 teams. I doubt he wants to play on the left coast, so I rule them out.

For Boston to go from that to out of the process means that everyone (media, GM's, etc) completely misread this and there is a team that no has heard from nor anyone expected to step up.

And that team will be proven to be the Orioles IMO, who nobody thought had increased their official offer...

Roy Halladay

C.C. Sabathia

John Lackey

Josh Beckett

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Jon Lester

Cliff Lee

Scott Kazmir

Matt Garza

James Shields

David Price

John Danks

Zack Grienke

Ervin Santana

Francisco Liriano

Justin Verlander

Felix Hernandez

I think Duchscherer, Guthrie, Slowey, and Baker all could be better than him as well. If Sheets signs with an AL team, you add him to the list above.

Sorry, you're way wrong.

Ok, I realize I only have about 850-ish posts so I don't have a lot of room to talk. But you're going to have to learn who to pick your battles with around here. Just saying...careful.

I agree with you, this seems like it is getting very close all of a sudden. If the Henry report is true this changes everything and I would have to think heavily in our favor.

Roy Halladay

C.C. Sabathia

John Lackey

Josh Beckett

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Jon Lester

Cliff Lee

Scott Kazmir

Matt Garza

James Shields

David Price

John Danks

Zack Grienke

Ervin Santana

Francisco Liriano

Justin Verlander

Felix Hernandez

Sorry, you're way wrong.

What are you basing this on?? Before this past season many of us would have put Bedard on this list and now he is no where to be found? All these knee jerk reactions are a bit much. Burnett has GREAT stuff, i'm not sure where he ranks on the list of best pitchers but please don't act like your the know all and be all of great pitchers. It changes every year (Cliff Lee was in the minors this time last year by they way).

Archived