Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despite losing a lot this year, and players declining, the Yankees still have one of the top lineups in baseball ESPECIALLY if they add a thirsty Manny to the order. But an average lineup is ok for the Yanks since they have the best pitching rotation in baseball (when healthy).

Neither of these statements is true, IMO.

They do not have a great lineup anymore. Jeter fell off a cliff, Posada followed him. Swisher hit .214 last season. Cano? Please. Nady had a career year. Damon is a huge question mark. Who plays CF? Melky?? They have no idea what theyre getting from these guys this year, they werent that great last year and they are pretty much all huge question marks in terms of health AND performance.

As for the pitching - well, AJ Burnett's best season by ERA+ is 122. Last year his OPS+ was 105. This guy isnt an Ace, he just throws as hard as one. CC? He's a stud. Joba? Very talented, but if we look at that starting pitcher slot (Lets say #3 starter) and divy up the 220-240 IP we expect from that role... well, that's ~130-140 of Joba quality pitching(going by what we can expect Joba to pitch per Verducci rule) and 100 IP of what exactly...? Ian Kennedy? Sidney Ponson? Then we have Wang - who is a massively overrated pitcher. He's above average. A 2-3 starter, but not front of the rotation stuff. He's also hurt by the Yanks' terrible, terrible defense (Which is another major reason they arent all that great). Hughes? No idea what youre getting there and he cant stay healthy. I actually HOPE they bring Pettitte back they way he's been performing!

I urge everyone to take another look at Burnett, though. Overrated. Not durable. Just got massively overpaid. Nice arm to have around, but he's not really front of the rotation - that requires durability and better performance than he's regularly shown us... except of course, if they get to the playoffs. THAT is where Cashman has really changed this team. Two hard throwing strikeout pitchers add a lot in October... if theyre healthy. As for the regular season? I think the Rays and Sox both have better rotations than the Yanks. The Yankees are more hype than substance.

They do not have a great lineup anymore. Jeter fell off a cliff, Posada followed him. Swisher hit .214 last season. Cano? Please. Nady had a career year. Damon is a huge question mark. Who plays CF? Melky?? They have no idea what theyre getting from these guys this year, they werent that great last year and they are pretty much all huge question marks in terms of health AND performance.

As for the pitching - well, AJ Burnett's best season by ERA+ is 122. Last year his OPS+ was 105. This guy isnt an Ace, he just throws as hard as one. CC? He's a stud. Joba? Very talented, but if we look at that starting pitcher slot (Lets say #3 starter) and divy up the 220-240 IP we expect from that role... well, that's ~130-140 of Joba quality pitching(going by what we can expect Joba to pitch per Verducci rule) and 100 IP of what exactly...? Ian Kennedy? Sidney Ponson? Then we have Wang - who is a massively overrated pitcher. He's above average. A 2-3 starter, but not front of the rotation stuff. He's also hurt by the Yanks' terrible, terrible defense (Which is another major reason they arent all that great). Hughes? No idea what youre getting there and he cant stay healthy. I actually HOPE they bring Pettitte back they way he's been performing!

I urge everyone to take another look at Burnett, though. Overrated. Not durable. Just got massively overpaid. Nice arm to have around, but he's not really front of the rotation - that requires durability and better performance than he's regularly shown us... except of course, if they get to the playoffs. THAT is where Cashman has really changed this team. Two hard throwing strikeout pitchers add a lot in October... if theyre healthy. As for the regular season? I think the Rays and Sox both have better rotations than the Yanks. The Yankees are more hype than substance.

I agree. Yankees rotation doesn't even touch that of the Cubs or Diamondbacks. Those are just a couple off the top of my head. Probably agree with you about Rays and Sox too. So Yanks have third best rotation in their division; no way tops in baseball.

Plus they lost Mussina, who was probably their best pitcher last year.

I agree. Yankees rotation doesn't even touch that of the Cubs or Diamondbacks. Those are just a couple off the top of my head. Probably agree with you about Rays and Sox too. So Yanks have third best rotation in their division; no way tops in baseball.

Thats the thing - Mussina put up 200 IP of 3.37 ERA (132 OPS+) last season. The Yanks really needed CC just to tread water...

If you guys think the Yanks are done buying, you haven't been paying attention. They will still get Sheets/Lowe, Manny, and be in the Tex derby too.

You gotta remember,,,around here if we talk about signing a (GASP!) 30 yr old, he is quickly dismissed as TOO OLD:D

And for good reason.

For a team that is a couple years of contention it doesnt make sense to sign 30 year olds who will, by definition, be entering their decline when the team is ready to compete...

Thats the thing - Mussina put up 200 IP of 3.37 ERA (132 OPS+) last season. The Yanks really needed CC just to tread water...

Exactly. Mussina won them 20 games last year. Replacing him with CC doesn't improve them as much as everyone seems to think. CC will eat up more innings, so he can rest the bullpen some. But, he probably won't win many more games than Mussina did.

Another Teixeira thread, move if you feel necessary.

Has anyone noticed a shocking lack of rumors coming out today regarding Tex? Whenever this happens, I see a signing looming. We know its coming up anyway, but something tells me Tex is hashing out details with some team right now because otherwise more rumors would be flying around while Boras plays games with all the involved teams. Hope its us.

Archived