Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

Tex is a money-grubber, or he'd have signed already. Nothing wrong with that. It's business. And its usage in this context was far less pejorative than you are implying.

Here's how the Baltimore media does it:

Time is running short for Mark Teixeira. If he doesn't sign a new contract by Christmas, he won't be able to buy his wife that small Caribbean country he promised her or bail out the automakers.

Pardon the sarcasm - which isn't directed personally at the young man at the focus of this year's biggest free-agent free-for-all - but the situation has been so blown out of proportion that it's impossible to know what to believe at this point.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the following post is true, I believe that Tex is looking at signing with the Yankees or Sox...

11:01pm: Michael S. Schmidt at the New York Times writes:

"The Yankees are interested in signing Teixeira, according to two people in baseball with knowledge of the matter, but for the moment are unwilling to pay him more than $160 million over eight years, one of them said." MLBTR

Apparently, Boras contacted NY, some speculate he is trying to drive up the price, but perhaps Tex is targeting a winning franchise. I hope he signs with Os but it does not look that great to me.

If the following post is true, I believe that Tex is looking at signing with the Yankees or Sox...

11:01pm: Michael S. Schmidt at the New York Times writes:

"The Yankees are interested in signing Teixeira, according to two people in baseball with knowledge of the matter, but for the moment are unwilling to pay him more than $160 million over eight years, one of them said." MLBTR

Apparently, Boras contacted NY, some speculate he is trying to drive up the price, but perhaps Tex is targeting a winning franchise. I hope he signs with Os but it does not look that great to me.

How do you get looking at signing with the Yankees or Sox from THAT quote?

Figured it was time to start this thread.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081220&content_id=3724474&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

New article...Tex should hopefully be deciding in a few days.

Recapping the way this is looking:

Orioles haven't upped offer because they are waiting until the largest contract is out...Once that occurs, the Orioles will then up their offer and then Tex must decide.

Offers we know of:

Boston: 8 years, 165-170

DC: 8/160

Ana: 8/160

O's: 7/150

It all depends on how much truth is to the rumors that.

- Teixeira really wants to play for the O's

- The O's will get a chance to up their offer, if need be

- The O's are willing and ready to up their offer when/if the chance presents

itself

we shall see...

Good morning fellow Orioles fans and Mark Teixeira obsessives, I'll be off to church in just a few moments and I was wondering if any news had broken other than Roch on the O's offering the highest average yearly salary...hopefully, I'll come home to some good news.

Good morning fellow Orioles fans and Mark Teixeira obsessives, I'll be off to church in just a few moments and I was wondering if any news had broken other than Roch on the O's offering the highest average yearly salary...hopefully, I'll come home to some good news.

Make sure you Pray For Tex in church. ;)

Archived