Heston Kjerstad 2022

joelala

Similar to my feelings about Servideo in another post, this guys is another very good SEC college player who was robbed of development time by injuries and COVID. 2023 is going to be a huge year for him. If he hits 30+ HR at Bowie and Norfolk and stays healthy I could see a significant bump in his prospect status. The power is likely real. Can he defend the strike zone and get on base? We know he's gonna strike out.

I am interested in how scouts view his unorthodox swing mechanics. Tony I hope you address that a bit in your right up, if I might be so bold as to make a suggestion.

Edited by Jim'sKid26
Spelling

I actually watched the AFL home run derby last night.  Kjerstad came in 2nd.  He tied for 2nd in the first round with 11 (2 1/2 minutes), was tied for the lead after the 2nd round (90 seconds) with a total of 21.  Then he and Robert Perez faced off in the final round of 90 seconds.  Kjerstad chose to go second.  I believe Perez hit 11.  Kjerstad started off with about 4-5 homers on 4-5 consecutive swings. Then the pitcher threw two bad pitches he had to take and it seemed to take him out of his rhythm.  He finished with 10 and lost by one.  Not too meaningful but it was fun to watch and he was impressive.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I actually watched the AFL home run derby last night.  Kjerstad came in 2nd.  He tied for 2nd in the first round with 11 (2 1/2 minutes), was tied for the lead after the 2nd round (90 seconds) with a total of 21.  Then he and Robert Perez faced off in the final round of 90 seconds.  Kjerstad chose to go second.  I believe Perez hit 11.  Kjerstad started off with about 4-5 homers on 4-5 consecutive swings. Then the pitcher threw two bad pitches he had to take and it seemed to take him out of his rhythm.  He finished with 10 and lost by one.  Not too meaningful but it was fun to watch and he was impressive.

I’m very excited about the power Kjerstad has shown in the AFL, and the various third-party comments I’ve read about his power while he’s been out there.   He didn’t show it much during the regular season but we knew that was his reputation in college.  He’s my early pick for our MiL organizational HR leader next year.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m very excited about the power Kjerstad has shown in the AFL, and the various third-party comments I’ve read about his power while he’s been out there.   He didn’t show it much during the regular season but we knew that was his reputation in college.  He’s my early pick for our MiL organizational HR leader next year.   

It wouldn’t surprise me.   That might be a fun exercise.  Who is likely to stay in the minors all season, or most of it, and lead the organization in home runs.  Handicap it.

Norby

Kjerstad

Neustrom

Fabian

Beavers

Wagner

Hernaiz

Haskins

There’s no way Cowser leads in home runs because he would be called up. It might be the same for Norby but less so.

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It wouldn’t surprise me.   That might be a fun exercise.  Who is likely to stay in the minors all season, or most of it, and lead the organization in home runs.  Handicap it.

Norby

Kjerstad

Neustrom

Fabian

Beavers

Wagner

Hernaiz

Haskins

There’s no way Cowser leads in home runs because he would be called up. It might be the same for Norby but less so.

Fabian would be my second pick.  As to Norby, I don’t think he spends all year in the minors unless he takes a step backwards, so he won’t lead the org in homers either way.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fabian would be my second pick.  As to Norby, I don’t think he spends all year in the minors unless he takes a step backwards, so he won’t lead the org in homers either way.  

And Max Wagner had 27 homers in 58 games at Clemson and is a year younger than Fabian.  And Beavers, I believe, is suppose to have more raw power than both.  Should be fun.

Saw a bit of the Fall Stars game.  Kjerstad struck out on three pitches in the top of the first, then made an error in the bottom half of the inning while playing the hop on a hard single hit in front of him, that led to an unearned run later in the inning off Denoyer.   Next time up he walked on a 3-2 pitch, then after I stopped watching he had an RBI ground single, a foul pop fly to LF, and a fly out to LF.

Denoyer started the game and pitched an inning.   He walked Veen after a pitch that was probably strike three was called a ball on a 2-2 count.   Next guy hit a hard single to right that Kjerstad misplayed so that there were runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out.  Next hitter hit a ball to the LF warning track that scored Veen.  The next guy hit a long fly to Kjerstad that allowed the runner on 2B to tag and go to third.  Kjerstad tried to throw him out but it wasn’t close and not a smart throw IMO. The inning ended on a lazy fly to short LF.  Overall, not that impressive an outing by Denoyer, but he was hurt by the missed strike three and Kjerstad’s error.   

• Upvote 2

Has AFL Kjerstad done enough to leapfrog anyone in this section of Tony's end of year Power Rankings?      Last Guy In for the upcoming Top 10 has some good competition.

10 Joey Ortiz SS 14 UP Nor (AAA)  
11 Cade Povich LHP 15 UP BOW (AA)  
12 Darnell Hernaiz INF 12   BOW (AA)  
13 Samuel Basallo C 13   FCL  
14 Dylan Beavers OF 18 UP Del (A)  
15 Heston Kjerstad OF 10 DOWN

ABN (A+)

21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Has AFL Kjerstad done enough to leapfrog anyone in this section of Tony's end of year Power Rankings?      Last Guy In for the upcoming Top 10 has some good competition.

ABN (A+)

15 hours ago, Just Regular said:

ABN (A+)

Povich's placement and write-up could be really interesting. It's results versus projection. If his projection aligns with his results, he'll fall. OTOH, you could argue for one of those Keith Law-Joey Ortiz placements based on what we think he will be versus what he was in the 2nd half of 2022 where he goes top 10.