Report - Teixera signs with Yankees

Skipjack33

That puts the nail in my oriole fan and tex fan coffin. And in my baseball fan coffin. I'm done. Fu*k angelos, the orioles, and tex. I hate the yankees more than anything on god's green earth. Tex is a mt. St. Joe grad and i am too. But now, as far as im concerned, tex never went to st. Joe. He dont exsist in my schools history.

you aren't alone... i am totally devastated

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, I saw the news on here that Tex signed with the MFY's and was fuming. Moments later I get the text message from MLB saying TEx was a MFY and got so pissed off I chucked my cell phone across the room and it went crashing into a wall.

Thanks to Mark Teixeira, I have a completely non-functioning cell phone.

Who wouldn't want to play for the Yankees, you get paid hundreds of millions of dollars to play with other guys who get paid hundreds of millions of dollars while working for an organization that makes billions and billions of dollars yearly. It must be nice to completely dominate a sport financially.

MWEB...Curious about your opinions on these 2 quotes/things.

AM offered 7/140-150. So he's saying that 3 more million would hinder him. How do you explain that? Do you think he already thought it would hinder him a bit at the offer but wanted to try to go the extra mile? If he did feel that those numbers hinder him, what does that say for him and his GM skills? What does that say about PA and his budget?

Secondly...AM said he deviated from his plan, indicating that Tex didn't fit right into his plan. Where else is he going to find a 1B of Tex's caliber for 2010-2011 when by all accounts we should be contending by then, for only money (2-3 million a year more than we were offering)? Before you mention how much it changes this franchise from today forward as far as interest from both fans and players, as well as attendance, revenue, etc.

Joey Votto? I guess it's not too realistic but it seems he's available.

MWEB...Curious about your opinions on these 2 quotes/things.

AM offered 7/140-150. So he's saying that 3 more million would hinder him. How do you explain that? Do you think he already thought it would hinder him a bit at the offer but wanted to try to go the extra mile? If he did feel that those numbers hinder him, what does that say for him and his GM skills? What does that say about PA and his budget?

I'm not mwebb but I'll point out the obvious. It says he puts a value on a player and has the discipline to walk away when the pricetag goes past what he things makes sense. Admirable traits for a GM to have and it will serve the Baltimore Orioles well. I think most fans will agree once they've had time to cool off, mourn the loss of Teix and start thinking objectively about what transipired.

Well, I've stayed off the boards for a few days since my semester ended, so I'm a bit more insulated emotionally. I also have a pretty forgiving view of people in authority, but my take is as follows:

1) MacPhail knows what he's doing. Some people have been crying about a "front-office failure," but I'm pretty sure MacPhail had a price he was willing to pay, a clear concept of Teixeira's value, and an unwillingness to be played in the negotiations. The only way to do that is to know your price and not be bullied. We can see that effect in SG's posts that were quoted earlier (not to pick on him in particular, many people did this) where over the course of the negotiations his subjective upper limit changed. This is exactly what teams have to avoid; especially if you start to count on a player. If you pencil in Mark Teixeira as countless posters did, unconsciously, in their projected 2009 rosters, you become willing to pay more. Lots of offseason scenarios went like "sign Teix, trade Scott for pitching, move Huff to DH, etc." or something similar, and since "sign Teix" is the foundation of that, people become willing to rationalize paying whatever it costs to get him. This is how Boras makes his money, and smart GMs have to avoid this trap even if it means not getting the player.

2) Nobody here knows anything worthwhile about the state of the Orioles' finances. Nobody knows if Teix will pay for himself in tickets, what the Orioles can afford, what payroll is justified, whether Angelos is cheap. People make generalizations to support their own arguments, but seriously. Most of the posts regarding finances have been both completely unfounded and stated as fact. You know who does know every detail of the Orioles' finances? The Orioles. I'm going to trust them on this one.

3. It sucks that he went to the Yankees. It's not just that they're the Yankees and I hate them, they're also the team least vulnerable to being hurt by contracts. They don't even really have the risk that we would have assumed, since apparently they have an unlimited payroll :(

4. People need to apologize to the national media. There's a thread on this already but people need to face it. There have been shameful, baseless and frequently personal attacks on the media whenever people heard something they didn't like. There may be a media bias, but people's reactions were incredibly disproportionate. Maybe this bias exists because the sport really does focus around the Yankees? This offseason sure did. I will gain immense respect for posters who take responsibility for their own statement.

5. I want to hear an explanation from Belkast. This has also been said, and some people think it's unfair to ask. I don't. I can overlook the unflagging optimism, and even the information. I'm not even actually upset. I just feel like there was a real disconnect between what we heard, and reality. There are statements Belkast made that are impossible to explain, such as the presence of a "wow" offer that was apparently presented. I don't really expect an apology or think I deserve one somehow, and I actually hope Belkast stays away for a few days for his own sake as some people are getting bitter. I just really want to know what went down. If insiders get routinely misled to this degree I think the board might want to consider tightening its vetting policy.

6. We will survive. Teixeira would have meant meaningless marginal wins in 2009, and he's not so good that he was a must-sign. There will be other first basemen, and other free agents. There's been doom and gloom about how the free agent class will never be this strong, or how it's a "perfect storm" (my new most hated phrase due to its overuse here in the past few weeks :D) for Teixeira. But, honestly, if MacPhail and Angelos decided that they couldn't justify the salary, I don't mind.

The way I would build a team is what MacPhail seems to be doing, and what hard-core rebuilders should ascribe to, if they're willing to bite the bullet: junk 2009 and 2010. All our current veterans will be gone. Jones, Markakis and Wieters will be established or not; at least, we'll have more information. We will have three top-tier pitching prospects beating down the doors to the majors after progressing at their own pace (Arrieta in 2009? Quoi?!). We will be in a better position than we are now even if we sign nobody. THEN we can do this drama. THEN the marginal wins will be worth more. Signing Teixeira now would have just added another card to the house we're building; another gamble, another decision that would have to pay off to accelerate the rebuild. Obviously it's not the likely case, but think how great having Barry Zito would be right now. I know we could just jump the payroll to $130M because Baltimore is a big city and Angelos lives in a house made of hundred dollar bills, but still. Even the die-hard Teixeira supporters must see that there was risk, right?

And MacPhail, with the authority Angelos gave him and that we pleaded for him to have, made an informed and intelligent baseball decision and decided that the risk was not worth the return at this stage of the rebuild. That is all I want, it is everything I want, and it is why I am actually happy with the result.

I have to take issue with number 2.

Not with the current payroll and revenues, they have been slashing and slashing.

Their 2007 payroll:$93 million

2007 revenues:$166 million

2007 operating income: $7.7 million

You can expect their 2008 revenues to remain around that level, same with income, and their payroll for 2008:$67 million.

So, objectively, we can afford to sign Teixeira.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz_baseball08_Baltimore-Orioles_336064.htmll

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/teamresults.aspx?team=2

I have to take issue with number 2.

Not with the current payroll and revenues, they have been slashing and slashing.

Their 2007 payroll:$93 million

2007 revenues:$166 million

2007 operating income: $7.7 million

You can expect their 2008 revenues to remain around that level, same with income, and their payroll for 2008:$67 million.

So, objectively, we can afford to sign Teixeira.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz_baseball08_Baltimore-Orioles_336064.htmll

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/teamresults.aspx?team=2

Maybe for 2009...what about the other seven to nine years of a Teixeira contract?

Archived