Report - Teixera signs with Yankees

Skipjack33

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schmuck was pointing out that Jeter, CC, ARod and Tex are 4 of the games 5 highest paid players(before Manny signs)...Those 4 will make 91 million next year, which was higher than most of the teams in MLB this past season...20+ million more than the Orioles.

I can't believe that MLB doesn't see a problem with this...

How so?

Your silly threats are just that silly and getting old.

He got the money he should have gotten.

Just because the orioles front office is a joke don't take it out on Tex.

At least Tex gave us a chance to sign him.

That is crap Shawn, Tex never wanted to come here and it's evident now.

We offered him 150 or 140 over 7 years, either way that is 20 million dollars a year. If Tex was indded a Baltimore fan then passing up that offer for 2 million a year more is foolish. He has all the moeny he will ever need.

Tex is just another greedy player who plays the game for money.

I tell you what I know I'm purchasing my first base line tickets for when the Skans come to town. A whole lot of booing will be going down.

In the end, I think AM should have stepped his offer up, but I still think it was a fair one. Does anyone one know if that was infact our only offer?

Honestly, we never saw the writing on the wall - the guy's favorite player was Don Mattingly. He probably wasn't that big of an O's fan growing up, otherwise why would he love a Yankee?

Regardless, somehow we have to stay positive, Angelos isn't going to sell the team and the O's are going to struggle for at least two more years. All we can hope for now is to be lucky enough to become the Twins and not the Royals...

In the end, I think AM should have stepped his offer up, but I still think it was a fair one. Does anyone one know if that was infact our only offer?

Apparently Boras did not come back to us. Boston is reporting that he did not come back to them to let them counter the Yanks offer. When the Yanks offered, Tex went immediately. It's fairly clear what Boras was doing now.

Apparently Boras did not come back to us. Boston is reporting that he did not come back to them to let them counter the Yanks offer. When the Yanks offered, Tex went immediately. It's fairly clear what Boras was doing now.

An article in the Boston Herald say that Boras went back to the Sox, and they upped the offer to 170mil. and they gave him a deadline to take it or leave it. Boras said that they weren't going to force Tex to sign, and like hours later , he was a Yank.

MLB is broke. I can no longer support it. I will never root for another team other than the O's but I just can't throw my hard earned money at this mess any longer. As Os fans what do we have to look forward to? Hope that draft picks turn into MLB players and if they are stars watch them become Yankees and Red Sox when they reach their prime. I can't take it anymore.

I'm not mwebb but I'll point out the obvious. It says he puts a value on a player and has the discipline to walk away when the pricetag goes past what he things makes sense. Admirable traits for a GM to have and it will serve the Baltimore Orioles well. I think most fans will agree once they've had time to cool off, mourn the loss of Teix and start thinking objectively about what transipired.

Exactly.

3M more a year plus an extra year is not nothing to sneeze at. And as I've argued with Stoner many times, everyone must have a limit, you can disagree with the limit, but I don't see how one can disagree with the concept of a limit. But many seem to be.

If all the owners/GM's had this thought process that so many are advocating on here, the bidding would never end for the elite talents, and of course all but one team would lose out anyway.

For all those saying if they can offer 7/140, they should have been willing to offer 8/180(because apparently adding 1 year and 40 million is insignificant), you guys could have then applied the same logic if the Yanks upped their offer to 8/200. It would have been well if you can afford 8/180, you can afford to match or beat 8/200. There's just no end with that logic.

I also find it odd that this now very popular opinion wasn't in rage before the Tex hysteria(even when discussing Tex) or in past off seasons when dealing with other top free agents.

MWEB...Curious about your opinions on these 2 quotes/things.

AM offered 7/140-150. So he's saying that 3 more million would hinder him. How do you explain that? Do you think he already thought it would hinder him a bit at the offer but wanted to try to go the extra mile? If he did feel that those numbers hinder him, what does that say for him and his GM skills? What does that say about PA and his budget?

Secondly...AM said he deviated from his plan, indicating that Tex didn't fit right into his plan. Where else is he going to find a 1B of Tex's caliber for 2010-2011 when by all accounts we should be contending by then, for only money (2-3 million a year more than we were offering)? Before you mention how much it changes this franchise from today forward as far as interest from both fans and players, as well as attendance, revenue, etc.

I already basically addressed some of this in my last post, but I'll respond to some of these specific questions/points.

First off, it's not just 3 million more a year, it's an extra year, and it may have taken more money. As I've said many times, we could have went to 8/184, then the Yanks could have upped their offer, then you and others would say well if you can offer 8/184, you should be able to offer 8/200, with the only end in sight being other teams restraint since they don't follow the same logic.

Yes, I do think he likely felt 7/140 was already pushing it as is. I don't think that is negative at all concerning his GM skills. 8/180 is too much for Tex imo, especially on a team without a huge budget. Not sure what if anything this says about PA's budget.

Regarding where else he can find a 1B like Tex, well Adrian Gonzalez, Fielder, and Howard are possibilities. But obviously a team doesn't need an elite first baseman to contend. There will be some elite free agents available whenever we are on the verge of contending, or actually contending. If we get a 30 or under top free agent at that time, it would actually make more sense in terms of having the players prime better match up with our best years.

Tex is just another greedy player who plays the game for money.

Of course he plays for the money. I give you the worst kept secret in sports, 100% of the athletes play for the money, plain and simple. But I also believe he wanted to play for an East Coast team and a team that will be considered a World Serie contender every year. With all due respect, are the O's considered a "World Series contender?"

Like most, I'm not upset that the Yanks signed Tex, I am upset at the fact that in the nation's current economical situation, the Yankees have committed nearly $400 mill in total contracts to three players this offseason. To me, the only people that are even going to be able to afford to watch Yankees games at their new stadium are rich people. That is why I am upset. This offseason for the Yanks, they've shown they can't be fiscal responsible and that even George's sons are impulsive. And the sad thing is, even after signing CC/AJ/and Tex the Yanks are still are not the best team in the division.

Archived