Brenan Hanifee 2022

Frobby

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hanifee made his full season affiliate debut tonight for Aberdeen, allowing 1 run in 2.2 IP on 3 hits and a walk.  He threw 50 pitches, 31 for strikes.  Glad to see him on the comeback trail. 

Trouble in the first inning and control issues in the 3rd, but a good second with 2k’s and a ground out. Still holding out hope for this guy, give me a heavy sinker out of the BP.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:25 AM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Forgot about him honestly. He was a third rounder I think. I wonder if he has a successful comeback this year where he would fill into our top prospects?

He wouldn’t at this point. I’d argue he has top 15 upside based on his old profile, but I think that’s very low probability, especially this year. 

Really nice outing.  First inning clean, 1-2-3.  Second marred by some sloppy defense behind him, giving up one run.  Third inning was three-up, three-down with the first two batters striking out on three pitches each, the third out on a called strike three.

3.0IP 3H 1ER 1BB 6K 

48 pitches, 31 for strikes  

No pitch velocities called by the broadcaster Matt Sabados, but there was a decent mix of fastballs and breaking balls used to get those Ks. 

(Sidebar - Cowser is like this immense presence in CF, even if long and lanky. Yikes)

• Thanks 1

From the Baysox:

Making his second start with Bowie, Brenan Hanifee tossed another three innings, but allowed an early game-tying run when Armani smith singled in a run. Following the single, Hanifee retired the final seven batters faced to close his brief start.

He didn't look very sharp in that first inning, but had some good swings-and-misses on his breaking balls low and away to right-handers. The single that scored the run was a 2-out, 2-strike comebacker that was probably 35 mph exit velocity (just kidding sortof) that I feel he should've fielded to get himself out of the jam he'd gotten into with the walk and single to lead off (deep breath since that was really long-winded), but he didn't react well. 

To redeem himself, he fielded cleanly another slow comebacker to end the 2nd. 

His fastball was 91-93, and it looked like he had reasonable command of all of his pitches, just not a lot of "zing" to any of them. Still, nice and smooth for those last 7 batters he faced. 

Final line 3IP, 2H, 1ER, 1BB, 3K

Was good to be reminded, as we're all aware, that coming into last night's game he'd only thrown 8-2/3 innings this season, his first innings pitched since the end of 2019 in Frederick. 

1 hour ago, justD said:

From the Baysox:

He didn't look very sharp in that first inning, but had some good swings-and-misses on his breaking balls low and away to right-handers. The single that scored the run was a 2-out, 2-strike comebacker that was probably 35 mph exit velocity (just kidding sortof) that I feel he should've fielded to get himself out of the jam he'd gotten into with the walk and single to lead off (deep breath since that was really long-winded), but he didn't react well. 

To redeem himself, he fielded cleanly another slow comebacker to end the 2nd. 

His fastball was 91-93, and it looked like he had reasonable command of all of his pitches, just not a lot of "zing" to any of them. Still, nice and smooth for those last 7 batters he faced. 

Final line 3IP, 2H, 1ER, 1BB, 3K

Was good to be reminded, as we're all aware, that coming into last night's game he'd only thrown 8-2/3 innings this season, his first innings pitched since the end of 2019 in Frederick. 

Guess he’s still viewed as a starter, which why not until he can’t. There was chatter around here about him turning into a reliever a couple years back. Would be nice to have another Akin type if nothing else.

Overall, I’m pleased how his recovery is progressing.  He doesn’t look perfect but who would after that long a layoff plus surgery?   Hopefully he can build up to 90 pitches or whatever and finish out the season.  One thing I liked about Hanifee before his injury is he was very pitch-efficient, often getting to the 6th or 7th inning.  Not sure they’ll let him do that this year.

• 1 month later...

Hanifee had a solid outing yesterday, 5 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 1 BB, 4 K’s.  That’s three good outings in a row for him.  Nice to see him bouncing back well from TJ surgery.  He’s also back to being very pitch efficient, throwing only about 14 pitches per inning in his last three starts.  I think if he finishes the year well he’ll start in Norfolk next year.  

• Upvote 1