Who are the agents for the top 2022 draftees?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Blame the NCAA.

Sure.   The whole system just gets more and more farcical.   

I had a case back in the 80’s involving an NBA player who went to Italy, was earning $80 - 100k plus free apartment and auto, and was deemed an “amateur” under the international rules at the time.  This crap has been going on forever.  

38 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I’d rather have Dylan Lesko 1:1 than some other Elias Coupon Corner options like Berry. Jones being a Boras guy likely eliminates him as 1:1 for the O’s, guaranteed. Best hope for us is Holiday or Lee. 

I don’t think Berry is in the equation at all.   Not worried about that.  I don’t think Boras has much to do with it.  The O’s will have a good idea of what it costs to sign Jones, and the other candidates.   If the O’s like Jones best by a clear margin, they’ll pick him.  If it’s muddy, financial considerations could be a factor.  

My impression of Elias’ process is that he doesn’t decide until the last minute and he sets up a healthy debate among the various scouts and analysts.  He’s got his number crunchers, his eyes on the ground, his financial gurus, etc.   He’s got a model for weighing it all, but at the end of the day, it’s his call.   And he doesn’t make the call until hearing everyone out, and he doesn’t hear everyone out until right before the draft.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Berry is in the equation at all.   Not worried about that.  I don’t think Boras has much to do with it.  The O’s will have a good idea of what it costs to sign Jones, and the other candidates.   If the O’s like Jones best by a clear margin, they’ll pick him.  If it’s muddy, financial considerations could be a factor.  

My impression of Elias’ process is that he doesn’t decide until the last minute and he sets up a healthy debate among the various scouts and analysts.  He’s got his number crunchers, his eyes on the ground, his financial gurus, etc.   He’s got a model for weighing it all, but at the end of the day, it’s his call.   And he doesn’t make the call until hearing everyone out, and he doesn’t hear everyone out until right before the draft.  

Berry was linked to Os earlier on, then it was Collier then Johnson. 

I like the healthy debate of ideas approach but most of the board is likely more supportive of a dictator approach I bet:)  Not sure I buy that is his approach honestly.

Where are you getting this info from specifically? Do you have personal knowledge? Please explain how you know his intimate approach in selecting a candidate? 

Who do you think they take Frobby? I am highly doubtful it will be Jones. I think Holiday/Lee/Parada are best options after Jones. Green would be with a bit too much risk for my liking but would appreciate the thinking if they think they can fix his holes. Collier, given his age, seems intriguing but not sure at 1:1.
If Elias does, what I am sure he will do, it won’t be Jones, I’d rather him trade someone for another comp balance pick and far exceed to draft slots and pay the penalty. Os have had a putrid payroll and can certainty afford the penalty but highly unlikely that will happen either. I don’t think most understand you CAN spend over the slots. Over 5% more comes with penalty but I bet the Mets go hog wild this year with overslot/pay penalty and it’s something we should do. In that scenario, or any really, you should take BPA. But hey, it’s Elias, so highly unlikely it happens and everyone will normalize the misguided aporoach. You don’t need to “save” anything if you just pay a penalty, so this whole absurd conversation about under/over slot is nonsense. Os have had a bottom payroll tier payroll forever, spend the money. Take BPA. 

5 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Who do you think they take Frobby? 

Honestly I have no idea.  My gut tells me it will be Jones, Holliday or Johnson.  I think this isn’t the year to go with a college guy.   We already have 16 of our 17 top prospects at Bowie or higher, so no need for a guy who can be in the majors in 2024.   They can afford to be patient.   We know Johnson had a workout at OPACY and that the O’s visited Holliday, so it seems they’re both in the running.  You have to assume Jones is on the list.   But really it’s anyone’s guess.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly I have no idea.  My gut tells me it will be Jones, Holliday or Johnson.  I think this isn’t the year to go with a college guy.   We already have 16 of our 17 top prospects at Bowie or higher, so no need for a guy who can be in the majors in 2024.   They can afford to be patient.   We know Johnson had a workout at OPACY and that the O’s visited Holliday, so it seems they’re both in the running.  You have to assume Jones is on the list.   But really it’s anyone’s guess.  

I have no idea why Johnson would be in serious consideration so that’s probably the guy lol.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Of course I don’t have any insider knowledge.   My supposition is based on (1) things I read in Astroball describing the draft process when Elias was with the Astros, and (2) various things Elias has said publicly.  There’s no guarantee that the O’s draft process works exactly like the Astros, and there’s no guarantee that everything Elias has said publicly is accurate.  

“I think we’re going to roll that all the way into the meetings,” Elias said, “just so we’re prepared for anything and prepared for the debates.”  
https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-explains-timing-of-latest-prospect-promotions

“Our scouting process, particularly in the draft — Brad Ciolek runs it — does a really good job of involving the player development coaches in evaluations of the players prior to the draft. I think that helps give them a sense of ownership of the guy when we do take him. They know what the pros and cons are with the player going in. It’s nice for everyone involved to be incorporated in the front end of the selection process.”

Elias: “I think we concentrate on perfecting the quality of the information that we put into our draft preparation as best as possible, and then weight that the smartest way we can. That’s really our philosophy. And it’s an ongoing tailoring process all the time. Obviously, those components can change quite a bit.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-conversation-with-orioles-general-manager-mike-elias/

Mike Elias said that the organization has narrowed its focus to “five, maybe six” names for the first overall pick in the MLB Draft on July 17.

Elias offered a laugh in elaborating that he will not publicly show his hand. But he and the Orioles’ brain trust will “carry that group all the way into the Draft meetings,” fully absorbing all information from the Combine and “a lot of information that comes in late.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-elias-orioles-narrowing-top-pick-to-five-six-players

Also, have a look at this short interview from the combine.  Elias says there that the decision usually comes down to the day of the draft and that they have a system for weighting analytical data with scouting opinions “so that it’s not just me listening to the loudest voice in the room.”

https://m.facebook.com/MLBNetwork/videos/mike-elias-at-mlb-draft-combine/407909297890306/

There’s been other things he’s said, but these are pretty representative.   

I don't believe that Elias doesn't know who he will pick #1 until the day of the draft.  I do agree he's not telling anyone.  It sounds likely that everyone on the O's draft board for at least the first few rounds has been scouted and analyzed from multiple viewpoints.  It doesn't sound like there are any prospects who are a scouts' guy who basically make a one man choice that I believe happened under previous Orioles regimes.