Early Game Alert: and on Peacock

Keygans

I have Peacock because much of what used to be on NBC Sports (mostly Premier League soccer) is now on there.  But I forgot the O's were on early until too late.

I'm still annoyed that MASN isn't on Hulu or as a stand-alone thing, but I'll continue my work around until such time as the Orioles let me pay them in a reasonable way for their content.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I have Peacock because much of what used to be on NBC Sports (mostly Premier League soccer) is now on there.  But I forgot the O's were on early until too late.

I'm still annoyed that MASN isn't on Hulu or as a stand-alone thing, but I'll continue my work around until such time as the Orioles let me pay them in a reasonable way for their content.

It’s absurd that MASN didn’t have the game 

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I suppose, but not as absurd as the fact that the only legal way to stream MASN without a cable/satellite subscription is through DirectTV/ATT's $100 a month plan.

I have Comcast so I don’t have those problems. But, MASN is owned by the Orioles yet they don’t televise every game. Beyond stupid…..And they certainly charge the tv providers enough per viewer

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I have Comcast so I don’t have those problems. But, MASN is owned by the Orioles yet they don’t televise every game. Beyond stupid…..And they certainly charge the tv providers enough per viewer

MLB sold exclusive rights to a Sunday noon game.  This was outside the Orioles control and blaming them is ridiculous.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, NCRaven said:

MLB sold exclusive rights to a Sunday noon game.  This was outside the Orioles control and blaming them is ridiculous.

Ok ….So the MLB main office are a bunch of buffoons. Sell a game that would have national interest. When it was done the Orioles were expected to be in the basement. MLB shouldn’t be able to “sell” the rights to a game under a teams RSN. As I mentioned, if they wanted to sell it outside of Baltimore and Anaheim fine. But, it’s just stupid to force fans to buy various streaming services. I have Disney, Netflix, and regular peacock in addition to my cable bill. Buying TV is just getting ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Ok ….So the MLB main office are a bunch of buffoons. Sell a game that would have national interest. When it was done the Orioles were expected to be in the basement. MLB shouldn’t be able to “sell” the rights to a game under a teams RSN. As I mentioned, if they wanted to sell it outside of Baltimore and Anaheim fine. But, it’s just stupid to force fans to buy various streaming services. I have Disney, Netflix, and regular peacock in addition to my cable bill. Buying TV is just getting ridiculous.

I think the larger problem with MLB television rights is hyper-localization.  We have these ridiculous blackout rules and streaming restrictions because MLB and the individual teams do not want to even slightly trample on the local RSN's rights and revenues. We have gargantuan revenue differences between teams mostly because each team gets to negotiate their own deals. I would much rather have a centrally-controlled broadcast system.  Then we might have a setup where I can just pay MLB $X and I get to watch any game I want.

You could also look at it this way... the game on Peacock was the only game, perhaps all year, that someone in the DC/Baltimore territory without cable/satellite can legally stream without buying a $100/month AT&T package.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree.  Just wanted to be clear that this isn’t an Orioles issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1