Come so far but still a long way to go

vab

33 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It's been a great season for growth so far and we're on schedule with the rebuild. Add at SP and BP and then call it an offseason. We'll see where Holliday is come start of next year and see if he gets fast tracked, and for god's sake put Henderson at 3B. Outside of that I like how everything is coming up. We'll be actually competing for a playoff spot next year and a WS in 2024 barring actual disaster. 

Holliday will not be fast tracked he is still just 18 the earliest we see him is 2025.

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

My point is that this team needs more than just a balanced lineup with a majority of 700-800 OPS batters 

I’d like to know why.  League average OPS is .704.   I’d say a team with a balanced lineup with a majority of .700-.800 OPS  hitters would be pretty effective.   However, the guys who are not in that category can’t be terrible.  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d like to know why.  League average OPS is .704.   I’d say a team with a balanced lineup with a majority of .700-.800 OPS  hitters would be pretty effective.   However, the guys who are not in that category can’t be terrible.  

I guess I just want the team to score more runs and have a higher run differential. Doesn't that win more games?

29 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I guess I just want the team to score more runs and have a higher run differential. Doesn't that win more games?

If you're saying that you want to take a balanced lineup with nine guys who all have .700-.800 OPSes, and remove several of them and replace them with .850 and .950 OPS hitters, sure.  Who wouldn't do that?

But I think Frobby's point was that a team with an OPS of .750 will score about the same number of runs no matter the distribution of individual players.  A team with a shortstop with a 1.000 OPS and a 2B with a .500 will score about as many runs as a team with a SS/2B who each OPS .750.

On 7/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, Jagwar said:

The O's have no big bat that other teams fear. They have no ace. When is the last time a playoff team had no one in the lineup OPSing above 800?

This is an encouraging year for many reasons. The team has turned a corner IMO, at least the first corner towards competitiveness.  I'm most optimistic about the position prospects in the minors. Can't wait to see GRod and Hall, but we need much more pitching before we are a playoff team.

I agree with this, but...as the Orioles have progressed this season...their OPS collectively and individually have risen.  IF the Orioles were to somehow scrape into the playoffs, I have no doubt that by the end of the season they would have at least one bat would be OPSing above .800.

I do not believe the Orioles will land in the playoffs, but I am willing to believe that they have at least one player strong enough down the stretch to OPS .800.