Time for Nevin and Odor to go

Brooks The Great

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nevin has around a .750 OPS since July 1st. He has a .722 OPS vs LHP this season. He can play 3B just enough. Nevin has come on. He’s fulfilling his role. 

Odor should be the one replaced by Vavra, but Odor still has a bench spot. Vavra to 2B. Stowers to OF. 

Mullins is the one that is really struggling. 

Mullins is slashing .296/.365/.432 his last 14 days.  He looked really good in Texas.  He hasn't really gone on one of his classic Mullins hot streaks this year.  I'm hoping maybe he's about to.

• Upvote 3

The 11/182 deal Franco signed seems pretty good right. 

We cleared Mancini’s salary off the books. We cleared Lopez’s future and current arb salaries. Santander is probably dealt in the offseason. 

I think we can afford Gunnar at 3B on the Franco deal for the stretch run. 

But what we’ll probably do is just hold Gunnar out until the first 15 days or so of next year and get him for 7/arbitration process. 

On 8/2/2022 at 10:43 AM, O-The-Memories said:

Voth is the guy that I was a little unsure of,  I think his previous track record is more likely to show his true talent, and at 30 years old he isn't going to develop a lot more. I do think that you guys are correct in the fact that there probably aren't a lot of guys who they could call up. I doubt a guy like Hall is coming up to replace him. 

For a guy that is not going to develop a lot more Voth has sure improved a lot since the O's acquired him.

Not only are the O's keeping Odor, they added Phillips.  The emphasis is on making the core of the team players who are bad at baseball but truly loved.  The rest of the team has to perform superhuman feats to keep winning while pulling the equivalent of a massive lead weighr.  Trying to make some sense of keeping them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Not only are the O's keeping Odor, they added Phillips.  The emphasis is on making the core of the team players who are bad at baseball but truly loved.  The rest of the team has to perform superhuman feats to keep winning while pulling the equivalent of a massive lead weighr.  Trying to make some sense of keeping them.

So if the point is to hold Stowers and Henderson back until 15 days into next season that explains why they keep Odor and add Phillips. Don’t have to like it but it makes sense.

It's ludicrous that Odor continues to get starts. Batting average down to .193. 

At least Vavra is playing great and forcing Hyde's hand to give Vavra more playing time. Vavra should be playing every day until Stowers is promoted.

I'm hoping Odor goes hitless over his next 20-30 at bats so that Elias just DFA's him. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

So if the point is to hold Stowers and Henderson back until 15 days into next season that explains why they keep Odor and add Phillips. Don’t have to like it but it makes sense.

With all this veteranosity and inspirational leadership, I expect either a conga line or flash mob to happen randomly at any time.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

It's ludicrous that Odor continues to get starts. Batting average down to .193. 

At least Vavra is playing great and forcing Hyde's hand to give Vavra more playing time. Vavra should be playing every day until Stowers is promoted.

I'm hoping Odor goes hitless over his next 20-30 at bats so that Elias just DFA's him. 

In the last 28 days Odor has batted .167 with a .465 OPS. Enough.

I can't believe Vavra's defense at 2B is so bad that the Orioles feel compelled to keep trotting Odor out there everyday at 2B. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

In the last 28 days Odor has batted .167 with a .465 OPS. Enough.

I can't believe Vavra's defense at 2B is so bad that the Orioles feel compelled to keep trotting Odor out there everyday at 2B. 

It can't be that bad, though. Vavra's defensive metrics were fine in the minors, and there's a possibility he's just as good or better than Odor in the field.  Worst case, he might be slightly worse than Odor in the field, but he absolutely must be given playing time over Odor at 2B due to the offensive skills Vavra's shown with the bat in the minors (and in a limited sample size in the majors thus far).

The bottom line is that Odor is one of the very worst regular hitters in MLB. He'd need to play gold glove-quality defense to justify playing him. But his defense is below average. Hyde just overvalues Odor's veteran "leadership". 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

It can't be that bad, though. Vavra's defensive metrics were fine in the minors, and there's a possibility he's just as good or better than Odor in the field.  Worst case, he might be slightly worse than Odor in the field, but he absolutely must be given playing time over Odor at 2B due to the offensive skills Vavra's shown with the bat in the minors (and in a limited sample size in the majors thus far).

The bottom line is that Odor is one of the very worst regular hitters in MLB. He'd need to play gold glove-quality defense to justify playing him. But his defense is below average. Hyde just overvalues Odor's veteran "leadership". 

Agree on Hyde overvaluing Odor's veteranosity instead of letting a rookie just called up play 2B. Odor got the team to do the "Fornite Goggles"  and has been good in the clubhouse. Odor can still do those things while while mostly sitting on the bench.