Is Hyde The Manager Moving Forward?

ORIOLE33

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think if you look at the rebuilding managers who get fired, the firing usually occurs before there’s been a big jump in the standings.  For example, Houston fired Bo Porter after two years of 51 and 59 wins and then the Astros won 86 games under Hinch the next year.  The Cubs hired Dale Sveum for two years at 61 and 66 wins, then Rick Renteria for a year of 73 wins before switching to Joe Maddon when the opportunity arose.  

There’s obviously no way Hyde gets replaced after this season.  The question is whether the O’s will stick with him if the team doesn’t take another step forward next year.  My guess is that the O’s will be in no hurry to change managers.   Hyde has seemed to be on the same page as Elias at all times and Elias has been extremely supportive of him.   The players clearly like him and play hard for him and never wavered during the hard times.   

This… exactly.  I like Brandon Hyde.  I think he is a very good manager and I would like him to be the long term Oriole skipper.  A la John Harbaugh. 

9 hours ago, Just Regular said:

The hourlong MASN program on OPACY's 30th Anniversary included a Sutcliffe anecdote about his FA recruitment.

It was basically that Johnny Oates asked him to, plus he walked him to where the mound was in the middle of the construction site.     Sutcliffe told the story that Oates was with him as a player when he was Rookie of the Year for the '79 Dodgers (age 33 Oates had a 4 OPS+ making Anthony Bemboom look like Buster Posey), and with him as a bullpen coach when he was Cy Young for the '84 Cubs.

So I figure Mike Elias pretty much just needs to ASK Carlos Correa to come, and its mostly done.

Can he ask Verlander to come instead, because that's who I think the O's need.

Has the bullpen been great because Hyde has been making great decisions on how to deploy them, or are Hyde’s decisions looking great because the pitchers are doing a great job?

A little of both, I’m sure, but I think you have to give Hyde a ton of credit for how he’s managed the bullpen.   He’s pretty much gone with the philosophy that he’d rather pull a pitcher a batter too early than a batter too late, and that’s worked brilliantly.  Yet, he hasn’t been shy about using his closer for 4, 5, 6 outs when the situation calls for it, regardless of whether Lopez or Bautista was the closer.   

The O’s are 44-4 when leading after 5 innings, 48-1 when leading after 6, 50-2 when leading after 7, 55-2 when leading after 8.   When it comes to the bullpen, Hyde has pushed all the right buttons.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Has the bullpen been great because Hyde has been making great decisions on how to deploy them, or are Hyde’s decisions looking great because the pitchers are doing a great job?

A little of both, I’m sure, but I think you have to give Hyde a ton of credit for how he’s managed the bullpen.   He’s pretty much gone with the philosophy that he’d rather pull a pitcher a batter too early than a batter too late, and that’s worked brilliantly.  Yet, he hasn’t been shy about using his closer for 4, 5, 6 outs when the situation calls for it, regardless of whether Lopez or Bautista was the closer.   

The O’s are 44-4 when leading after 5 innings, 48-1 when leading after 6, 50-2 when leading after 7, 55-2 when leading after 8.   When it comes to the bullpen, Hyde has pushed all the right buttons.  

And he's on the same page with Elias and Co. The managers throughout the system have been excellent at executing the Front Office vision. 

On 8/27/2022 at 8:07 AM, Frobby said:

What are the league averages in those situations?  Halfway kidding...

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What are the league averages in those situations?  Halfway kidding...

Fair question.  MLB average (O’s in parentheses).

Leading after 5: .857 (.917)

Leading after 6: .885 (.980)

Leading after 7: .915 (.962)

Leadind after 8: .952 (.965)

• Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fair question.  MLB average (O’s in parentheses).

Leading after 5: .857 (.917)

Leading after 6: .885 (.980)

Leading after 7: .915 (.962)

Leadind after 8: .952 (.965)

Is there a convenient way to get the W/L record or percentages when  trailing after 5...n innings?

12 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Is there a convenient way to get the W/L record or percentages when  trailing after 5...n innings?

Sure.  Same format as above:

Trailing after 5: .142 (.214)

Trailing after 6: .114 (.177)

Trailing after 7: .085 (.119)

Trailing after 8: .048 (.055)

MLB source

Orioles source

Look in the section titled “inning by inning W-L.”

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure.  Same format as above:

Trailing after 5: .142 (.214)

Trailing after 6: .114 (.177)

Trailing after 7: .085 (.119)

Trailing after 8: .048 (.055)

MLB source

Orioles source

Look in the section titled “inning by inning W-L.”

Hmm, that's interesting. Does it not belie the team's rep for comebacks and late-inning snatching of victories from the gloves of defeat?