This is my favorite Oriole team ever

DocJJ

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

Yes we alL know this. Because it has been documented on this board hundreds of times at this point. Hence my point. It doesn’t need to be brought up every damn time. 

this very thread is about fav orioles teams of all time, and somehow the Odor hate has overtaken it. It’s just silly now. 

It was brought up within the context of this thread.

I can see how his presence diminishes the team in some ways.  

The bigger issue isn’t Odor though..it’s not his fault they keep playing him.

Its more his presence in the lineup, how they have not brought up younger players quicker, are not playing guys more, etc…that’s bothersome.

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If only we could be paying Paul DeJong 6M or some portion of that to be our SS (and 9M next year) with Mateo as a bench player, this team would have a much better vibe.  Oh well!

Oh, I believe the position at the time was Mateo didn't even deserve a roster spot.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pickles said:

Oh, I believe the position at the time was Mateo didn't even deserve a roster spot.

Per usual, you are wrong.  I was fine with him as the super UTI guy and I was even fine with him as the starting SS over some of the vet options mentioned on here, like a Galvis type guy.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Per usual, you are wrong.  I was fine with him as he upset UTI guy and I was even fine with him as the starting SS over some of the vet options mentioned on here, like a Galvis type guy.

Actually you were wrong.  You were vociferously against him getting an everyday chance at SS.  It was part of your DeJong fetish.

That would have been a colossal mistake.  Per usual.  Worse and more expensive.  The Sports Guy special.

• Haha 1

Just now, Pickles said:

Actually you were wrong.  You were vociferously against him getting an everyday chance at SS.  It was part of your DeJong fetish.

That would have been a colossal mistake.  Per usual.  Worse and more expensive.  The Sports Guy special.

Yep.  The player who had been a complete nothing for most of his career, I was against playing everyday.

Im fine to die on that sword every single time.  He got me this year.  9 times out of 10, I will be right to not want that. 

This time it hit.  Sh!t happens.  Im good with that.  I don’t regret the thought process one bit and will always be for going after guys who have had good careers in positions of need signed to team friendly deals who are still young…just as I was with Hardy. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  The player who had been a complete nothing for most of his career, I was against playing everyday.

Im fine to die on that sword every single time.  He got me this year.  9 times out of 10, I will be right to not want that. 

This time it hit.  Sh!t happens.  Im good with that.  I don’t regret the thought process one bit and will always be for going after guys who have had good careers in positions of need signed to team friendly deals who are still young…just as I was with Hardy. 

But these are the kind of decisions that make a rebuild.  I said it at the time of the discussions: It's great to sign Manny Machados, but the only real way the Orioles are going to compete is to find Justin Turners.  If you don't take advantage of the opportunity cost of letting unproven guys play, you're hindering your turn around.  And yes, 9 out of 10 times it doesn't work, or is negligible, but the other 10% of the time is where you butter your bread.

I was for signing Correa as his market began to soften.  But other than that Mateo deserved a chance imo.  He looked good last year to my eye.  I didn't expect a 3-4 win season for sure, but a guy with above average defense with some offensive upside, I saw that.

Anyway we're derailing the thread more than it was.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

But these are the kind of decisions that make a rebuild.  I said it at the time of the discussions: It's great to sign Manny Machados, but the only real way the Orioles are going to compete is to find Justin Turners.  If you don't take advantage of the opportunity cost of letting unproven guys play, you're hindering your turn around.  And yes, 9 out of 10 times it doesn't work, or is negligible, but the other 10% of the time is where you butter your bread.

I was for signing Correa as his market began to soften.  But other than that Mateo deserved a chance imo.  He looked good last year to my eye.  I didn't expect a 3-4 win season for sure, but a guy with above average defense with some offensive upside, I saw that.

Anyway we're derailing the thread more than it was.

No, they don’t make a rebuild.  That’s a fallacy.

But having players like this performing well making no money is always great.

Bur generally speaking, you don’t win games in pro sports with players who have been a big zero in their pro careers and already past 25 years old.

Thats not a player that you normally win with.  You want to keep betting on guys like that?  Be my guest.  

I never doubted Mateo’s talent.  I never doubted his skill set.  But if you want to troll me and have some obsession that I wasn’t sold on a guy with his pro resume to the point I didn’t want to give him 500+ at bats and wanted the team to do more to win, I’m ok with that.   

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, they don’t make a rebuild.  That’s a fallacy.

But having players like this performing well making no money is always great.

Bur generally speaking, you don’t win games in pro sports with players who have been a big zero in their pro careers and already past 25 years old.

Thats not a player that you normally win with.  You want to keep betting on guys like that?  Be my guest.  

I never doubted Mateo’s talent.  I never doubted his skill set.  But if you want to troll me and have some obsession that I wasn’t sold on a guy with his pro resume to the point I didn’t want to give him 500+ at bats and wanted the team to do more to win, I’m ok with that.   

This is a discussion for another place and time, but, don't worry, we'll get another chance to go over it, because I am going to keep "trolling" you about all the dumb stuff you kept claiming we had to do last offseason, and how the rebuild was a failure, three seconds before all of that dumb stuff would have blown up in your face and the rebuild was about to become a rousing success.

• Haha 1

For the record, so I can feel as if I am contributing to the thread the OP wished to have, if this team makes the playoffs it might eke past the 2012 team for me.  But you're only 8 once, so I don't think the 89 team can ever be topped for me.  And if this team can't do it, I don't think it is possible.

22 minutes ago, Pickles said:

This is a discussion for another place and time, but, don't worry, we'll get another chance to go over it, because I am going to keep "trolling" you about all the dumb stuff you kept claiming we had to do last offseason, and how the rebuild was a failure, three seconds before all of that dumb stuff would have blown up in your face and the rebuild was about to become a rousing success.

Never even remotely said the rebuild was a failure.  I have consistently said they should and would contend in 2023.  At no point does that point to any kind of a failure of Elias is doing.  I have also said that Elias is one of the best things to ever happen to this organization, so obviously I have confidence in him as well.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I think we were supposed to trade for Dejong so we'd be out a couple prospects as well.

Yeah, but because J.J. Hardy type deals work out 1 out of 10 times apparently instead of the 1 in 10 chance the Mateos work out, that is something to die on your sword for.  How chivalrous!