Orioles arm strength by Statcast

Tony-OH

I am no scout but (and here comes my uncle Rico moment) I did play ball at some very high levels from 2003 - 2010..

I see nothing (and I mean nooooooooothing) from Cedric Mullins and his arm talent that remotely suggests to me that his max velocity throw this year was 95mph. These eyeballs of mine have seen a lot but specifically they've seen both Mountcastle and Mullins let it fly and their arm strength looked as close to one another as any two position players on the roster this year. 

I just simply cannot subscribe to something that spits out those kind of numbers and there be that much of a gap for those two players. Everything that I heard or read of Mullins throwing work during last offseason was to reduce the amount of time that he held the ball. There is only so much that a human can improve in arm strength. He didn't gun-down anyone this year. His assisted outs from the OF were because he was quick with the ball and made a strong enough and accurate throw to nab someone stretching for extra bases. 

I would bet a good amount of money that Hays could outthrow Mullins from the seat of his pants. I love me some Cedric Mullins but seeing that number next to his name reminds me of Jon Voigt in Varsity Blues - Oopty F'ing Oop?! 

I'm over here like 9f'ing5?!

47 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I see nothing (and I mean nooooooooothing) from Cedric Mullins and his arm talent that remotely suggests to me that his max velocity throw this year was 95mph. These eyeballs of mine have seen a lot but specifically they've seen both Mountcastle and Mullins let it fly and their arm strength looked as close to one another as any two position players on the roster this year. 

Even if their arm strength is similar, the types of throws an outfielder makes are very different than those made by a 1B.  The OF is  fully stepping into his throws this his full body and going for distance, the 1B is usually making a snap throw where a quick release is at a premium.   So, I’d expect almost any OF to throw with more velocity than a 1B.

Per Statcast, the average CF throw is 90.0 mph, the average 1B throw is 78.2.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1