What Free Agent would you sign?

DocJJ

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, every team drafts overslot guys every draft.

And yes, you can get a guy like Gunnar.  You always see guys drafted in later rounds that turn out to be very good.

And you can still save money in the draft, no matter where you draft.  There are tons of ways to do it and it happens all the time.

Right but you can't save as much, you can't pick as early and you have less to spend overall.

It's a lot more difficult to hit on over slots when you are picking 15th instead of first.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a lot easier to coax value out of later round picks when you can save a million or two with your first round pick.

That's harder when you are picking in the middle of the round.

I don't think we should be expecting another Gunnar any time soon.

Well, I never really expect a second round pick to become the No. 1 prospect in MLB.   And you are right that our draft position and smaller allotment will make it harder to find signable gems in the second round.   Despite all that, I still have confidence in Elias’ drafting acumen.  Losing two picks is pretty costly.  I assume we also lose the cash allotment that goes with those picks, which reduces our flexibility on when we go overslot/underslot and by how much.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right but you can't save as much, you can't pick as early and you have less to spend overall.

It's a lot more difficult to hit on over slots when you are picking 15th instead of first.

You absolutely can save.  You can punt picks in other rounds.

Where the Os are likely to pick, they will have a draft budget of around 9.5-10M.

Their first round pick will have a budget of around 4M.  They can easily save if they want and punt picks later. It may be harder but it’s still easily done.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You absolutely can save.  You can punt picks in other rounds.

Where the Os are likely to pick, they will have a draft budget of around 9.5-10M.

Their first round pick will have a budget of around 4M.  They can easily save if they want and punt picks later. It may be harder but it’s still easily done.

All that anyone is saying is that it’s harder to get guys who will be successful when you are picking lower and have less money to spend.  Nobody’s saying it’s impossible.  The statement is obviously true.  I don’t even know why we’re discussing it.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

All that anyone is saying is that it’s harder to get guys who will be successful when you are picking lower and have less money to spend.  Nobody’s saying it’s impossible.  The statement is obviously true.  I don’t even know why we’re discussing it.  

Harder yes..but still can and is and will be done.  That’s just obvious as it being harder to do so.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well it is.  What’s so difficult about going way under slot for several picks if there is a layer you really want that falls?

Why is that hard?

Because 29 other front offices are trying to do the same thing.

Next thing you know you've got pool money to burn and the only guy left on your overslot list is an overweight catcher (theoretically).

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a lot easier to coax value out of later round picks when you can save a million or two with your first round pick.

That's harder when you are picking in the middle of the round.

I don't think we should be expecting another Gunnar any time soon.

Gunnar was a 2nd round pick.  If the O's were picking 15th, they could have taken him then and paid slot.

11 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Gunnar was a 2nd round pick.  If the O's were picking 15th, they could have taken him then and paid slot.

Sure, they could have.

Would they have?

No idea.

Doesn't change the fact that they couldn't have made a Gunnar style pick in the second round without seriously impacting the rest of their draft.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So it's easy for all 30 teams?

That would explain why teams have such a great track record with draft picks. 

If they are all doing something easy.

No one said it’s easy for the picks to work out. I’m talking about getting overslot guys.  And yes, that’s easily done.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No one said it’s easy for the picks to work out. I’m talking about getting overslot guys.  And yes, that’s easily done.  

Sure, absolutely.

You are 100% right.

I could pick a mime off the street and get him to randomly go overslot in the MLB draft.  Hey KOKI, just look at this BA prospect list, pick a guy way early and offer him less than slot and then pick a guy in a later round and offer him more than slot.  No, KOKI, you don't actually have to talk to them, you can text.

I think everyone other than you is talking about doing it successfully.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, absolutely.

You are 100% right.

I could pick a mime off the street and get him to randomly go overslot in the MLB draft.  Hey KOKI, just look at this BA prospect list, pick a guy way early and offer him less than slot and then pick a guy in a later round and offer him more than slot.  No, KOKI, you don't actually have to talk to them, you can text.

I think everyone other than you is talking about doing it successfully.

Well, it’s hard to do it successfully anyway, at any pick and in any round. It’s  a complete crapshoot.  

I don’t care how much money you have, it’s still hard but you can always set yourself up to get guys you like who have fallen.  Keep giving yourself chances.

You are basically saying the only guys who are worth doing this for or will be successful are ones who get a big deal. I’m guessing that’s completely false.