The General Managers thread

Just Regular

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This may not technically belong here, but Billy Beane announced last week that he’s taking a “senior advisor” role and will no longer be involved in day to day operations of the A’s.  
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35054451/billy-beane-moves-advisory-role-david-forst-stays-gm?platform=amp

For me that one was a clue A's ownership is making progress on Las Vegas.    Beane was so good so long on Tampa-Cleveland type $$$ I feel like he earned not having to stand the post while the next few seasons of heartache occur.

• 2 weeks later...

A little short on job title, but as a grateful longtime reader from back in the day, noticed this in Szymborski's chat today.

SEA is one of those teams gotta fight past for AL top 6 in the shorter term.

1:06
Josh R: Noticed this in a transactions list :                                      Mariners Named Dave Cameron senior director, player procurement,                                                 Is this the former FanGraphs Dave Cameron?

Avatar Dan Szymborski: (Sorry, was making sure he made it official or I couldn’t say anything)

I should probably mention this now that it’s official. I get to do some really cool stuff for the @Mariners going forward. Quite a journey from @ussmariner (or asbs-m for us extra old people) to now. I couldn’t be more excited. Sincere thank you to all.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

6 of the 15 AL Clubs - Cot's has an expiration date for the GM's present contract, BAL Elias in the majority that are unlisted.

Through 2023: OAK Forst    (here feels like Las Vegas just a matter of time, nothing else matters)

Through 2024: MIN Falvey and LAA Minasian       (changes may be a comin' round the bend)

Through 2025: TOR Shapiro         (dovetailing about with Vlad and Bassitt free agency)

Through 2026: NYY Cashman and TB Neander

Also unlisted: BOS Bloom, CHW Williams, CLE Antonetti, SEA DiPoto

Unlisted and also rather fresh hires: DET Harris, KCR Picollo, TEX Young

HOU Jim Crane....TBD.

• 4 weeks later...

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Astros have interviewed at least three candidates to fill their general manager vacancy. 

Astros owner James Click has yet to name a successor after firing general manager James Click, who helped guide the club to a World Series title last year, more than two months ago. Rosenthal adds that former Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill, Braves vice president of scouting Dana Brown and former Giants general manager Bobby Evans have interviewed with the club for the vacancy. 

51 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Astros have interviewed at least three candidates to fill their general manager vacancy. 

Astros owner James Click has yet to name a successor after firing general manager James Click, who helped guide the club to a World Series title last year, more than two months ago. Rosenthal adds that former Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill, Braves vice president of scouting Dana Brown and former Giants general manager Bobby Evans have interviewed with the club for the vacancy. 

I guess if Michael Hill could deal with a boss as meddlesome and sabotaging as Jeffrey Loria for all those years with the Marlins, he could stand to put up with Click. 

23 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Are the Astro owner and former GM really both named James Click?  😀

Quite the coincidence.

Edited by SteveA
  • Haha 1