The General Managers thread

Just Regular

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

So they’ll just toss Eppler aside after improving 24 games in one season?  Pretty harsh.  

Eppler is the GM.

Sandy Alderson is club president but he has already announced he is stepping down from that job as soon as a replacement is found.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/27/david-stearns-steps-down-as-brewers-president-in-potential-mets-boon/

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Eppler is the GM.

Sandy Alderson is club president but he has already announced he is stepping down from that job as soon as a replacement is found.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/27/david-stearns-steps-down-as-brewers-president-in-potential-mets-boon/

Thanks, saw that later.  Still, I have a feeling that Eppler was calling the shots on player acquisition last year, and won’t be if Stearns becomes the President.  But I could be wrong.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thanks, saw that later.  Still, I have a feeling that Eppler was calling the shots on player acquisition last year, and won’t be if Stearns becomes the President.  But I could be wrong.  

Who knows what to believe from Cohen, but he is saying they are not pursuing Stearns: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/steve-cohen-says-mets-arent-pursuing-david-stearns.html

Maybe Stearns is just burnt out and needs a break from MLB.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting detail in Passan's long piece celebrating Dusty Baker and the Astros championship, he reports Crane vetoed an Urquidy for Willson Contreras rental Click had agreed to:

AS THE AUG. 2 trade deadline approached this year, Astros general manager James Click -- who was hired shortly after Baker and replaced Jeff Luhnow, the polarizing figure who oversaw the construction of the group that has reached the ALCS six consecutive seasons -- was canvassing the landscape in search of a bat. Since taking over in 2020, Click hadn't pulled off the sort of headline-grabbing deal Luhnow made annually toward the end of his tenure. But now was the time.

The Astros and Chicago Cubs were in agreement on a trade to send star catcher Willson Contreras to the Astros for starter Jose Urquidy, four sources familiar with the deal told ESPN. The straight-up trade was agreed upon, pending owner approval. That approval never came.

20 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Interesting detail in Passan's long piece celebrating Dusty Baker and the Astros championship, he reports Crane vetoed an Urquidy for Willson Contreras rental Click had agreed to:

Houston Astros have questions about future in front office (calltothepen.com)

Apparently Jim Crane, the owner, and James Click, the GM, don't like each other much.  On top of that, Dusty and Click are not always on the same sheet of music:

"Meanwhile, Click and Baker disagree on how much analytics should be used during in game situations." It doesn't look like Click is long for the Houston job.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And now it turns out Click has rejected the Astros one year contract extension offer and is out as GM.  Just a couple days after it was announced he and Dusty were both coming back for 2023.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Astros go after Elias.

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

On second thought...maybe they don't go after Elias.  Click didn't click with Dusty and Jim Crane because he was too analytical...Elias is just as deep into the analytics as Click.  No way Dusty would listen to Elias.

In fact, although I don't know the extent of the relationship Click has with Elias as they were not in Houston at the same time, it would not shock me to see Click in some capacity in the front office in Baltimore. 

14 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

In fact, although I don't know the extent of the relationship Click has with Elias as they were not in Houston at the same time, it would not shock me to see Click in some capacity in the front office in Baltimore. 

All hail the triumvirate of Elias-Sig-Click!

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

And now it turns out Click has rejected the Astros one year contract extension offer and is out as GM.  Just a couple days after it was announced he and Dusty were both coming back for 2023.

Not a particularly shocking development, but the Astros fired the AGM that Click hired on as well. So much for that World Series honeymoon period.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/astros-fire-assistant-general-manager-scott-powers.html