Adley, Gunnar, …………..

RZNJ

In 2021 at the age of 23 Adley played AA and AAA and combined for an .899 OPS

In 2022 Kyle Stowers at the age of 24 put up an .884 OPS in AAA

In 2022 Coltin Cowser at the age of 22 put up an .874 OPS between A+, AA and AAA

In 2022 Connor Norby at the age of 21/22 put up an OPS of .886 between A+, A, and AAA

In 2022 Jordan Westburg, at the age of 23, put up an .852 OPS between AA and AAA

In 2022 Gunnar Henderson at the age of 20/21 put up a .946 OPS between AA and AAA

In 2022 Joey Ortiz at the age of 23/24 put up an OPS of .826 between AA and AAA.

First point. That’s an impressive group.  Point two.  Similar OPS and age guarantee nothing.   Point three.   Gunnar stands alone. 

Whose future do you like best and why?

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

First point. That’s an impressive group.  Point two.  Similar OPS and age guarantee nothing.   Point three.   Gunnar stands alone. 

Whose future do you like best and why?

I'll take this as a pot shot at me for my Mayo ranking and some of the reasoning behind his high ranking still. I never said it guarantees anything. In fact, minor league performance GAURANTEES NOTHING.

They are nothing but indicators to go off of but so are age, size, EVs, and raw power. All of which are in Mayo's corner. 

So what's your point then besides trying and failing to say I indicated something I NEVER wrote.

Besides, this post is so silly because there are so many factors, including COVID season as to why players were where they were, including Adley.

Adley and Gunnar are head and shoulders above the others.  

Whose future I like best depends on the time horizon.  Adley is highly likely to have the shorter career by several years.  So, if I’m talking about their whole career, I think Gunnar has the best future.  But if we’re talking about the 5-6 years of team control, I like Adley better because great two-way catchers are harder to find.   

In the “everybody else” category, I really could go lots of different ways.  I’ll say Westburg because of his defensive versatility combined with his strong defense.   I’d probably put Stowers at the bottom, but that’s not to say I don’t like Stowers. I could envision any of these guys having 10-year careers.  

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll take this as a pot shot at me for my Mayo ranking and some of the reasoning behind his high ranking still. I never said it guarantees anything. In fact, minor league performance GAURANTEES NOTHING.

They are nothing but indicators to go off of but so are age, size, EVs, and raw power. All of which are in Mayo's corner. 

So what's your point then besides trying and failing to say I indicated something I NEVER wrote.

Besides, this post is so silly because there are so many factors, including COVID season as to why players were where they were, including Adley.

Seems awfully defensive, Tony.  I read the post and it never occurred to me that it had anything to do with anything you wrote.  Every guy listed is in AAA or the majors.  

Edited by Frobby

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems awfully defensive, Tony.  I read the post and it never occurred to me that it had anything to do with anything you wrote.  Every guy listed is in AAA or the majors.  

That's because you didn't have yourself and several others try to come after me for making that comparison between Mayo and Henderson at the same age, level, and team/stadium. 

You guys are really getting bored because for some reason, because I'm beginning to be the punching bag for comments that are either taken out of context or misconstrued totally.

If you don't care about my comparisons, that's your right. It's wildcard's right too, but when you make an entire thread to bring this fact up, I'm going to call the poster on it.

To say using these comparisons mean nothing is ridiculous. Do they guarantee anything? Nope, but neither does any prior performance including major league. But what are we suppose to do, just keep saying nothing guarantees nothing? 

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's because you didn't have yourself and several others try to come after me for making that comparison between Mayo and Henderson at the same age, level, and team/stadium. 

You guys are really getting bored because for some reason, because I'm beginning to be the punching bag for comments that are either taken out of context or misconstrued totally.

If you don't care about my comparisons, that's your right. It's wildcard's right too, but when you make an entire thread to bring this fact up, I'm going to call the poster on it.

To say using these comparisons mean nothing is ridiculous. Do they guarantee anything? Nope, but neither does any prior performance including major league. But what are we suppose to do, just keep saying nothing guarantees nothing? 

Sometimes... during the rut.... A young buck who knows he has no business kicking dirt at a 12 point will do it just because he can. I've seen some of those big bucks just shake their head and walk away. Not sure if deer can actually laugh... but I'd wager there's a laugh in there somewhere.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, this post had 0% to do with you or Mayo.  When I said similar age and OPS guarantee nothing I was thinking of Adley vs. Westburg/Stowers/Norby.  Mayo never entered my mind.

I just realized how many prospects had played at the same levels as Rutschman with similar OPS numbers.  

Also, in my defense, this is my post in the #5 Mayo thread.

"Exactly.  If you look at Henderson's 2021 numbers he had nearly a 30% strikeout rate in A and 10 strikeouts in 17 PA in Bowie.   Again, that doesn't mean Mayo will figure it out but the age Mayo was 2 years younger than Westburg in his first taste of AA.  It's a big factor in the ranking."

That's hardly coming at you, Tony.  I supported your reasoning for Mayo at #5 even though I, respectfully, might have had him lower.

I may be guilty of needling you in the past but this is not one of those times.  

Hey, I'm perfect in the poll so far!  

• Upvote 1

Even if they are exuberantly out over skis, I like the Gunnar-Mayo comps year over year.

Its overwhelmingly likely Gunnar's high-90's percentile supernova 2022 was mostly lightning in a bottle, and Mayo won't play that spectacularly.

Its just fun if like the Dodgers making Tyler Anderson, the Orioles making Gunnar Henderson is a repeatable result, and demographically Mayo is the next prep up.    Making guys like that would be even a better trick than the Rays making a 23% K-BB reliever out of anybody and leading the league in run prevention.

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Where did I come after you for making that comparison?   Are you talking about this post?  If so, I’d hardly call that “coming after you.”   I’ve got no problem at all with you comparing how two guys did at the same level at the same age.  I’ve done it myself.

19 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Its just fun if like the Dodgers making Tyler Anderson, the Orioles making Gunnar Henderson is a repeatable result, and demographically Mayo is the next prep up.    Making guys like that would be even a better trick than the Rays making a 23% K-BB reliever out of anybody and leading the league in run prevention.

Mike Elias:Meme: "Challenge Accepted" - All Templates - Meme-arsenal.com