“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

Based on some of the calculations of other users here, the Orioles have about $50mm in obligations currently. How much payroll can the club realistically add this off-season? I'm going to guess about a $40mm up to approximately $90mm.

Would fans be happy spending it on...
Bassitt -- 3yr/66mm
Quintana -- 2yr/30mm
FA Catcher -- 1yr/2-3mm

Just now, Es4M11 said:

Based on some of the calculations of other users here, the Orioles have about $50mm in obligations currently. How much payroll can the club realistically add this off-season? I'm going to guess about a $40mm up to approximately $90mm.

Bassitt -- 3yr/66mm
Quintana -- 2yr/30mm
FA Catcher -- 1yr/2-3mm

Angelos is a billionaire, MASN, revenue sharing, etc..  Realistically they could spend whatever they want and they'd still make a profit every year that most people won't make in their life.

Just now, Es4M11 said:

Bassitt -- 3yr/66mm
Quintana -- 2yr/30mm
FA Catcher -- 1yr/2-3mm

Realistically they could have a $200+ million payroll. The new tv deal starts and revenue sharing would cover that much. Not counting the Disney payout and the 52% of the pie that isn’t shared. 

Bassit would be ok….Quintana no, I cringe at what you can get for 2-3 million ( the bottom of the dumpster)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Why? The Orioles payroll is really low and if they can't compete in free agency  now with a low payroll ,then they will never be able to get in the ballgame.

I don't disagree.  We just don't know the budget that Elias has been given, and there are things happening behind the scenes, like the fighting among the owners family, that already had some questioning just how much Elias was going to be allowed to increase payroll.  If, hypothetically speaking, he was giving the green light to increase the payroll by 40 million (just making up a number, who knows) the fact that folks are signing for more than was expected means that 40M isn't going to go as far as he was expecting/hoping.  If I have $100 for groceries and when I get to the store I find that everything is 25% more than I expected, then the amount of food I come home with is going to be less than I was planning.  

Now maybe he wasn't given a hard number or any major constraints placed upon him...we just don't know.  But if he was given a cap or the allowance to increase payroll by a set amount of dollars, it doesn't appear those dollars are going to buy as much as may have been anticipated.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't actually know if prices are going higher than Elias expected.  Hopefully he had a good read on the market.

But on the bright side I'm not less hopeful.

That's true, maybe he had a better read on the market.  Most of the 'experts' were predicting lower numbers than we've seen so far, but maybe Elias had a better feel for what was going to happen and this isn't surprising him.  I hope you are right, and that my being less hopeful is wrong.  We MUST add to our team, and not just with more Jordan Lyles types.  

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No Do!

110 million in revenue sharing 

100 million nation tv deal

30 million Disney 1 time payout

75 million estimated 52% of non shared team revenue 

Saying the O's have the money and saying that Elias has it to spend are too very different things unfortunately.  I'm fairly confident that ownership didn't just say we have 30M extra coming in, go blow it however you want.  

• Upvote 1

MLB Mark Feinsand on their Ballpark Dimensions podcast said at the GM Meetings Elias gave him an "I feel relevant again" quote.

Podcast had the tidbits Orioles have not given a multi-year contract since Cobb/Cashner before Elias, and that at the last in-person Winter Meetings in 2019, Boras clients Strasburg, Cole and Rendon all went boom-boom-boom during the event.

830pm Tuesday looks like when they'll put out whatever kind of Draft Lottery program they are putting out.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

We have plenty to spend

In theory, sure.

Whether the organization will actually be willing to spend at the prices the market is currently operating at is another matter though. I previously considered the idea of them going the cheap route and re-signing Lyles to be completely out of the question, but it doesn't seem so far-fetched after seeing the Eflin and Boyd contracts.

12 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The Orioles will get a pitcher either thru trade or free agency. There are enough second and third tier pitchers in free agency and some teams have already picked up there free agent pitcher or are not going to sign a pitcher in the upper tiers. 

"Welcome to Birdland, Kyle Gibson!"

I kid, I kid...

...I hope 😐

3 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

In theory, sure.

Whether the organization will actually be willing to spend at the prices the market is currently operating at is another matter though. I previously considered the idea of them going the cheap route and re-signing Lyles to be completely out of the question, but it doesn't seem so far-fetched after seeing the Eflin and Boyd contracts.

Not in theory ….For real. If Mike is truly in charge he’s been given a budget. 

Does this convince you?