2022-23 free agent signings tracker

Frobby

20 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Do trades go here too? Anyway, the Twins traded for Michael A Taylor. Decent OF depth piece. They've now had quite the busy offseason. 

• Christian Vazquez 3 year deal 
  • Joey Gallo 1 year deal
  • Carlos Correa 6 year deal
  • Trade for Kyle Farmer from CIN
  • Trade Gio Urshela to LAA
  • Trade Luis Arraez to MIA for Pablo Lopez +
  • Trade for Michael A Taylor from KC

Twins Hangout must be so busy they don't even have time to get mad about signing Chance Sisco to a minor league contract. 

When real contenders have a real offseason with real major league impact acquisitions, they usually don't need 30 page threads on DFA signings.

But this is the Orioles and we are Orioles fans. That's not in the cards for us.

My biggest concern over the Orioles offseason is it told me the situation is one of these:

A) Angelos gave Elias a budget that was way under what he was expecting after he gave the liftoff statement

B) Elias was caught by surprised by the market, overwhelmed and outmaneuvered by franchises fresh with MLB TV money who were able to use that to add impact talent.

C) Elias is so risk adverse that he's unwilling to go over two-year contracts and is unwilling to add potential impact players unless they come with limited risk (rare).

Oh, it also tells me his major league scouts and talent advisors felt it made more sense to spend on Frazier and Gibson rather than Bassitt and Westburg/Ortiz.

Not really sure any of these make me feel good about the Orioles taking the next step without doing it almost solely by drafting a developing impact players from the farm system.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 10:11 PM, Spy Fox said:

Do trades go here too? Anyway, the Twins traded for Michael A Taylor. Decent OF depth piece. They've now had quite the busy offseason. 

• Christian Vazquez 3 year deal 
  • Joey Gallo 1 year deal
  • Carlos Correa 6 year deal
  • Trade for Kyle Farmer from CIN
  • Trade Gio Urshela to LAA
  • Trade Luis Arraez to MIA for Pablo Lopez +
  • Trade for Michael A Taylor from KC

Twins Hangout must be so busy they don't even have time to get mad about signing Chance Sisco to a minor league contract. 

Honestly the Frazier deal doesn't look so bad compared to the Twins off-season.

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In a survey of 29 major league execs, the Twins finished 6th for most improved team in the AL.

That seems odd to me, unless they are somehow counting Correa as an addition.  Did they count Judge as an addition for the Yankees?  Just wondering what criteria they are looking at.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In a survey of 29 major league execs, the Twins finished 6th for most improved team in the AL.

We'll see. I think it hinges on what you think of Correa. No doubt they are improved in the short term but "worst ankle I have ever seen" scares me. Very high risk with not much reward relative to the money spent, so I hate that deal. I also don't like the Lopez deal for what they gave up.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

That seems odd to me, unless they are somehow counting Correa as an addition.  Did they count Judge as an addition for the Yankees?  Just wondering what criteria they are looking at.

Didn’t say, but I assume they liked the Arraez/Lopez trade.  Schoenfield gave the Twins a B+ for their offseason. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Didn’t say, but I assume they liked the Arraez/Lopez trade.  Schoenfield gave the Twins a B+ for their offseason. 

I can see a B+ for the off-season, as the retention of Correa would count for me in that evaluation, but when considering "improvement," I wouldn't count Correa, since he was on the 2022 team.  After all, isn't the 2022 team what the 2023 team is being compared to when measuring improvement?  As I said, seems odd to me.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I can see a B+ for the off-season, as the retention of Correa would count for me in that evaluation, but when considering "improvement," I wouldn't count Correa, since he was on the 2022 team.  After all, isn't the 2022 team what the 2023 team is being compared to when measuring improvement?  As I said, seems odd to me.

I agree with your point about there being a difference between grading an offseason and grading improvement.  That’s why I said I assume the GM’s liked the Lopez trade.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with your point about there being a difference between grading an offseason and grading improvement.  That’s why I said I assume the GM’s liked the Lopez trade.   

Interesting.  Pretty even trade, if you ask me, with both players coming off career years.  I do believe that I like the Twins side of it a bit better, but it doesn't put them in the top 6 most-improved teams for me.  Whatever, it was an opinion poll, but I do wonder if some of the GMs voting inadvertently considered Correa as an addition.

15 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I didn’t see the Wacha deal anywhere.  The contract is weird with different kinds of options both club and player but this article sums it up as a 4 year 26 million deal 

way too much for us thank goodness 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/padres-sign-michael-wacha.html

To be honest, I stopped updating this thread towards the end of 2022 when all the second-tier guys were off the board.   Probably time to un-pin it.  

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I didn’t see the Wacha deal anywhere.  The contract is weird with different kinds of options both club and player but this article sums it up as a 4 year 26 million deal 

way too much for us thank goodness 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/padres-sign-michael-wacha.html

I think it will probably end up being a 1-year deal.  Padres were creative with player and team options to make it count for cap purposes as a 4/$26 in order to stay under the next salary tax level with a $6.5 annual average.  The $7.5 they are paying him this year would have put them over otherwise.  Neither the player nor the team options are likely to be exercised, IMO.  The team options almost surely will not be exercised.  Wacha may exercise his options if he has a downturn in performance and believes that $6 or $6.5 is the best he can do in the market.  If Wacha does exercise the player options, the grand total would be the 4/$26.

• Upvote 2