Is it possible that we (the Hangout fans) are just not patient enough??

Sanity Check

56 minutes ago, Winter said:

You're welcome, I'm going to remember all this pouting about not spending big this offseason when Bassit and the rest of these overpaid barely average pitchers can't pitch without the shift they've always had the comfort of relying on their entire MLB careers and can't hold base runners with the new rules lmao. 

Orioles

21: 52-110 - 29th payroll

22: 83-79 - 30th payroll

Astros

13: 51-111 - 30th payroll

14: 70-92 - 30th payroll

*Compared to Astros process the Orioles are here today*

15: 86-76 (Wild Card) - 29th payroll

16: 84-78 - 24th payroll

17: 101-61 (World Series) - 18th payroll

18: 103-59 - High payroll from here on out

19: 107-55  

20: COVID YEAR

21: 95-67 

22: 106-56  

So yes im okay with a slow process that works rather be like the Blue Jays and have a couple good players and go nuts trying to buy it too soon and fail. 

Bassitt, Verlander, and DeGrom are hardly "barely average" pitchers, and none of them will struggle with the new rules.

1 hour ago, Winter said:

Sorry this team isn't going to win the world series even if we added Rodon, Bassit and Nimmo unless our young players not just Rutsch/Gunnar talking Cowser/Westburg/Rodriguez etc. ALL take a massive step forward to fill other gaps between us and the competition and if they do GOOD then we can go in on big FAs / Trade deadline deals. 

Actually, I think if we had added Rodon, Bassit and Nimmo we'd have an excellent chance of winning the World Series.  That would be a hell of a team.   I think if we added just one player of that quality, we would have an excellent chance of at least making the playoffs.  

4 hours ago, turtlebowl said:

I'm still not convinced the Elias doesn't have some kind of man crush on Correa and we are in a holding pattern until that sorts itself out.  I was not for this plan but if he is putting all his eggs in that basket that opens the door for him to be ultra aggressive in the trade market to get pitching.  

Maybe he views Correa as that guy that would take a lot of the pressure off Adley and Gunner as he would initially become the face of the franchise.  I realize this could be way off but until he is signed I just think this is still possible.

This might be the only way left for Elias to redeem this offseason.  If you sign Correa then you are free to move players like Ortiz, Westburg and Mateo, or dare I say even Holliday for starting pitching.  It's not how I would go about building a team, but adding Correa and a front-line starter would certainly make the O's a legitimate contender in 2023.  

1 hour ago, Winter said:

13: 51-111 - 30th payroll

14: 70-92 - 30th payroll

*Compared to Astros process the Orioles are here today*

15: 86-76 (Wild Card) - 29th payroll

Uh, how exactly are we more like the Astros team that won 70 games (13 less than the 2022 Orioles) than the 86 win Astros team (3 more games than the 2022 Orioles)?

Three is a lot less than thirteen last time I checked.

52 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I understand where you are coming from, but personally my expectations for this offseason had nothing to do with what Elias said, and everything to do with where the O's are in their rebuilding cycle. 

It's clear that the team has turned the corner competitively and has a young, cost-controlled core of good players that can support a contending team.   That's the time when a well-run franchise should start spending money on quality free agents that will put them over the top.    And for all my complaints about ownership over the years, they have been willing to spend on free agents in the past when the team had a chance to contend.  

I don’t disagree that it would be logical.  That’s why I still think it will happen.  

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t disagree that it would be logical.  That’s why I still think it will happen.  

Frobby, does that mean that you expect this to be a Carlos Christmas? or one of them, followed by trade(s)? I don’t know if I see that happening for either Correa or Rodon, but it is an interesting take. 

1 minute ago, theobird said:

Frobby, does that mean that you expect this to be a Carlos Christmas? or one of them, followed by trade(s)? I don’t know if I see that happening for either Correa or Rodon, but it is an interesting take. 

I’d bet against either of them.   Correa really doesn’t make sense for us, and I just doubt we will go as far as other teams for Rodon.  But I think they’ll find a way to augment the team in some significant way.  I have no idea how or what exactly.  

2 hours ago, deward said:

Bassitt, Verlander, and DeGrom are hardly "barely average" pitchers, and none of them will struggle with the new rules.

DeGrom can't even keep himself on the field. Verlander was never coming here, do you have a inside source on Verlander that showed he had any interest in Baltimore? All major insiders all say his list was Dodgers, Astros, Yankees, Mets and Bassitt yes the greatest pitcher of all time, the one that got away that would of lead us to a world series. Maybe Elias can sway Rodon to come here over the Yankees by giving him 8 years so he can give us 2 good years then spend the last 6 years shacking up with Chris Davis. 

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Uh, how exactly are we more like the Astros team that won 70 games (13 less than the 2022 Orioles) than the 86 win Astros team (3 more games than the 2022 Orioles)?

Three is a lot less than thirteen last time I checked.

Oh sorry i assumed you followed the MLB during that time frame, as i mean the way the teams were built &  payroll partnered with the teams big 1st turnaround as the Astros win gain was +19, they brought up Springer, then had Correa lurking for 2015. Yes the Orioles are off their 1st big turnaround year. SO yes after their 2014 season. 

Just now, Winter said:

Oh sorry i assumed you followed the MLB during that time frame, as i mean the way the teams were built &  payroll partnered with the teams big 1st turnaround as the Astros win gain was +19, they brought up Springer, then had Correa lurking for 2015. Yes the Orioles are off their 1st big turnaround year. SO yes after their 2014 season. 

No actual argument, huh?

Cool, concession accepted.

29 minutes ago, Winter said:

DeGrom can't even keep himself on the field. Verlander was never coming here, do you have a inside source on Verlander that showed he had any interest in Baltimore? All major insiders all say his list was Dodgers, Astros, Yankees, Mets and Bassitt yes the greatest pitcher of all time, the one that got away that would of lead us to a world series. Maybe Elias can sway Rodon to come here over the Yankees by giving him 8 years so he can give us 2 good years then spend the last 6 years shacking up with Chris Davis. 

DeGrom is the best pitcher alive when he's on the field, sign me up for that any day. We don't know if Verlander was never coming here, because Elias didn't make him an offer. Couldn't have hurt to try. Bassitt is an above average pitcher, which is exactly what this team needs. 

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

This might be the only way left for Elias to redeem this offseason.  If you sign Correa then you are free to move players like Ortiz, Westburg and Mateo, or dare I say even Holliday for starting pitching.  It's not how I would go about building a team, but adding Correa and a front-line starter would certainly make the O's a legitimate contender in 2023.  

Call me crazy, but I'd rather take the upside of Westburg, Ortiz, and Mateo over a bloated 350mm contract that won't age well.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Call me crazy, but I'd rather take the upside of Westburg, Ortiz, and Mateo over a bloated 350mm contract that won't age well.  

Likewise, we have much bigger needs than a SS right now.

And if we want to upgrade offense at the position, we could always just start Gunnar there with Urias at 3B and Westburg at 2B, and use Mateo as the UIF.

2 hours ago, deward said:

DeGrom is the best pitcher alive when he's on the field, sign me up for that any day. We don't know if Verlander was never coming here, because Elias didn't make him an offer. Couldn't have hurt to try. Bassitt is an above average pitcher, which is exactly what this team needs. 

How do you know that Elias didn't make Verlander an offer?