Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

Mullins is very valuable to the Orioles right now. Losing him would be a significant blow to the team on a day-to-day basis. You need good outfielders more than ever now with our outfield dimensions. This team is built on speed and defense and Mullins is the central key to that. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I laughed it off initially too. I thought this was his walk year, but it looks like he has two years left. So, yeah, back to laughing at my offer. We have the depth, and we need a guy to flip the switch as a #1. Lopez doesn’t do that for me. Maybe include Bradish or Kremer and some A ball prospect. Their system is not deep at all. Just a thought, not a likely one.

If they put Fried on the market, they are getting 2-3 top 100 guys for him and likely other stuff.

And if the Braves are trading a guy like that, I worry that there is a bigger reason for it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they put Fried on the market, they are getting 2-3 top 100 guys for him and likely other stuff.

And if the Braves are trading a guy like that, I worry that there is a bigger reason for it.

The Orioles should be somewhere between Tampa and Atlanta in terms of how they run their business/baseball model. 

Fried isn’t going anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The Orioles, obviously. Not even close.

There is no way in hell that the Marlins would agree to this deal.

If Elias asks and the Marlins say yes, I'll pick up Cedric and drive him to the airport so he doesn't miss his flight. I like Mullins, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for that package. 

14 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Mullins is very valuable to the Orioles right now. Losing him would be a significant blow to the team on a day-to-day basis. You need good outfielders more than ever now with our outfield dimensions. This team is built on speed and defense and Mullins is the central key to that. 

Not that I have anything against speed and defense, but this team was built on players who didn't offer a whole lot more than speed and defense...  until just last season. Because either that's all they had, or that's all they were willing to buy.

I think as time goes on and we promote (and acquire) more balanced players, some natural tradeoffs will emerge.

I'd consider Mullins a pretty well balanced player. And I don't know whether the real Mullins is the 2021 or the 2022 flavor. I'm going to guess it's closer to the 2022 flavor. And he's going to get progressively more expensive as time goes on, even if he holds the status quo on performance.

So objectively, you have to ask yourself when do you achieve peak trade value for Mullins? And is he someone we're ultimately going to spend 100 million building around? If not, then maybe you deal him now and consider Cowser or McKenna, or Hays as stopgaps until you graduate some of the coming crop of outfielders. It's all give and take.

Edited by owknows

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

Not that I have anything against speed and defense, but this team was built on players who didn't offer a whole lot more than speed and defense...  until just last season. Because either that's all they had, or that's all they were willing to buy.

I think as time goes on and we promote (and acquire) more balanced players, some natural tradeoffs will emerge.

I'd consider Mullins a pretty well balanced player. And I don't know whether the real Mullins is the 2021 or the 2022 flavor. I'm going to guess it's closer to the 2022 flavor. And he's going to get progressively more expensive as time goes on, even if he holds the status quo on performance.

So objectively, you have to ask yourself when do you achieve peak trade value for Mullins? And is he someone we're ultimately going to spend 100 million building around? If not, then maybe you deal him now and consider Cowser or McKenna, or Hays as stopgaps until you graduate some of the coming crop of outfielders. It's all give and take.

Well, I think the Orioles intend to compete this year. To compete without Mullins would be very challenging, and I'm talking about the 2022 version. The ballpark configuration and the pitching need really good outfield defense. Moving Hays to center just robs Peter to pay Paul, since left field defense is also important. You could make McKenna an everyday player but he hasn't shown that he is deserving of that. I don't think Cowser is ready yet to be called up. 

If we are trading for pitching, I think it makes more sense to trade from our deep farm system than it does to trade away valuable members of the current team. 

I wonder how the Marlins feel about how good the Mets, Phillies and Braves are. 

They have all this pitching talent including some on the way and a brutally bad lineup. Not sure how much it impacts their line of thinking this winter. They were already well behind them. It would mine. I would recalibrate and deal Alcantara. Considering his talent and contract extension could get a ton for him in the market. Rebuild that position player lineup and still have plenty of good arms. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Well, I think the Orioles intend to compete this year. To compete without Mullins would be very challenging, and I'm talking about the 2022 version. The ballpark configuration and the pitching need really good outfield defense. Moving Hays to center just robs Peter to pay Paul, since left field defense is also important. You could make McKenna an everyday player but he hasn't shown that he is deserving of that. I don't think Cowser is ready yet to be called up. 

If we are trading for pitching, I think it makes more sense to trade from our deep farm system than it does to trade away valuable members of the current team. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that Mullins isn't the best option we have for CF today.

The question on the table is whether the Orioles are better off now (and in the future) by bolstering their starting pitching in exchange for a player we know we'd be downgrading for a bit. In other words, does the cost to CF performance get offset by the improvement to starting pitching.

And given that Mullins is approaching the point at which he will become prohibitively expensive to keep, is it better to extract that return value now rather than later.

These are not one-dimensional problems