Any interest in Trevor Bauer if he's released?

OrioleLochRaven

Regardless of whatever kink he's into or whether or not his accusers consented the bottom line is Trevor Bauer made a conscious decision to hit a woman (or women). And even though he's dialed back his online persona a bit (at least for the moment) he's shown no humility or remorse for his actions. I honestly don't know how you could possibly put a positive PR spin on his situation. There's also the question about his performance since he's publicly admitted to using foreign substances to help increase his spin rate and we haven't seen him pitch since the crackdown. Will he still be an ace or will he revert back to his Cleveland 4.00ish ERA years? When you take all that into  consideration I don't think the risk in signing him is even close to being worth the reward, even for a team in need of pitching help.

I also have no interest in debating Trevor Bauer's innocence so please don't bother replying/quoting me and asking questions like "remorse for what?".  If you want to paint him as a martyr/victim that's perfectly fine, but that's not the question that was asked and frankly it's not relevant or appropriate for this forum. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

My take on Trevor Bauer. Firstly, I am NOT condoning his behavior in any way. I wasn't there, I don't know what happened. 

Obviously he was used as a "we protect women" banner for MLB. He was targeted and what they did to him, was unjust. His out-spoken attitude, against Manfred in social media, played a HUGE role in the "holier than thou" MLB and its treatment of him. When you literally show proof, against the charges, and this whole fiasco continued, you knew someone up above, ($$$) was pulling the strings.

All that said, I would sign Bauer in a heartbeat, but he would have to agree to a second year. 

The talk of a media disaster is far too short sided. DeShaun Watson had over 30 complaints and what has happened to the Browns for it? Nothing. If the "game" didn't transcend the media, football would have been gone long ago.

2 year deal, means he wont be coming here.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Is this the thread where all the wannabe legal experts chime in?  Awesome.

I don't think he's good enough for the media headache.  He'd have to be, like, prime Kershaw for me to want to give him an opportunity.

Yep. But if Bauer shows he can pitch at the level he did in 2020-21 or a team is convinced he still has it then Bauer will play in 2023 despite the PR nightmares.

It's a double standard because if this was Mike Wright his career would be over and he'd end up becoming a long haul trucker. 

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think he's good enough for the media headache.  He'd have to be, like, prime Kershaw for me to want to give him an opportunity.

Frobby and I (and I'm sure others on here) are legal experts though 😉 - at least, our employers seem to think so. 

He should not talk about the cases, ever, in public. Not in any detail anyway. If probable cause was not found to try him in a court of law, so be it. He is supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. There could be civil suits that follow, and I assume there will be. 

Why should he suffer any further? This is America, we have this thing called due process. That doesn’t mean we believe every news report, and judge anyone in that. If only, right?

He is a huge personality. An “in your face” kind of guy. A great talent. I doubt the Orioles would even consider it. Another team, in another market will. Absent the off-field stuff, sure. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yep. But if Bauer shows he can pitch at the level he did in 2020-21 or a team is convinced he still has it then Bauer will play in 2023 despite the PR nightmares.

It's a double standard because if this was Mike Wright his career would be over and he'd end up becoming a long haul trucker. 

It is a double standard, but it is what it is.  

I'm not convinced that Bauer can't do it without spider tack or some extra help though.  We'll see.  But I'd rather not have him. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Frobby and I (and I'm sure others on here) are legal experts though 😉 - at least, our employers seem to think so. 

Frobby's retired, so does he count?  I dunno.  Maybe.  

I wasn't aware you were a personal injury attorney.  How many billboards do you have?

(Thems just jokes)

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ha, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

That just isn't true in a lot of municipalities.

Really? There are rules about what 2 consenting adults will do behind closed doors?  

There are a lot of f’ed up people out there that are into some weird freaky stuff. You are saying some of that is illegal even if they want it?

5 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

My take on Trevor Bauer. Firstly, I am NOT condoning his behavior in any way. I wasn't there, I don't know what happened. 

Obviously he was used as a "we protect women" banner for MLB. He was targeted and what they did to him, was unjust. His out-spoken attitude, against Manfred in social media, played a HUGE role in the "holier than thou" MLB and its treatment of him. When you literally show proof, against the charges, and this whole fiasco continued, you knew someone up above, ($$$) was pulling the strings.

All that said, I would sign Bauer in a heartbeat, but he would have to agree to a second year. 

The talk of a media disaster is far too short sided. DeShaun Watson had over 30 complaints and what has happened to the Browns for it? Nothing. If the "game" didn't transcend the media, football would have been gone long ago.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel like the Browns have absolutely been blasted for trading for Watson (i.e., it's been nothing but bad PR). 

Do you have any concerns about Bauer's influence on our mostly young roster? I'm only asking because we're talking about a guy who chucked a ball over the CF fence when his manager tried to remove him from a game? A guy who routinely seems to try to make the game more about him and less about the team and who seems to extremely immature for a 31 year old man. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It is a double standard, but it is what it is.  

I'm not convinced that Bauer can't do it without spider tack or some extra help though.  We'll see.  But I'd rather not have him. 

Frobby's retired, so does he count?  I dunno.  Maybe.  

I wasn't aware you were a personal injury attorney.  How many billboards do you have?

(Thems just jokes)

Hahaha.  No worries,  Jimmy McGill was the king of billboards.

I do civil defense work though. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What if he is actually innocent though?

There is no crime for 2 consenting adults to have weird fetishes.

Whether it's fair or not, he's guilty in the court of public opinion and that counts for a lot when you have paying customers and advertisers.

• Like 1