Any interest in Trevor Bauer if he's released?

OrioleLochRaven

Before anyone kills me, I know what he was accused of. I also know that after a 5 month investigation, the District Attorney of LA County decided not to pursue charges. Not saying his "tastes" are to be condoned or that he will not carry that stigma with him, but he was always ahead of the curve on the analytical approach to pitching. That and his potential to be an ace, or a valuable trade chip would seem to fit in nicely with Elias' approach.

The only way that this could be spun in a public relations type of way would be for him to be contrite.  That is definitely not his style.  If you have seen the youtube video he put out, he has claimed complete innocence.  I am certain that someone will sign him I doubt it is the Baltimore Orioles.

I don’t think Elias would want his first major, national media headline making off-season move (after the shift away from total rebuilding mode) to be signing TB.  Especially if there’s not another more significant move to follow to dilute the impact (and I don’t expect any significant moves until the trade deadline at this point).  Besides that, without having informed myself too much of the details of the matter, just seems like something the Orioles should avoid IMO.

11 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Is he technically only going to be league minimum salary? How many years remaining on that contract?

I think it would be less than the minimum salary.  He isn't getting paid until he's paid back for the games in which he was on paid administrative leave.

25 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

The only way that this could be spun in a public relations type of way would be for him to be contrite.  That is definitely not his style.  If you have seen the youtube video he put out, he has claimed complete innocence.  I am certain that someone will sign him I doubt it is the Baltimore Orioles.

He's actually not in a position to show contrition, is he?  He hasn't been acquitted, the DA simply doesn't have enough evidence to try him.  Any admission on his part could cost him his freedom.

Having said that, the Orioles should stay far, far away, IMO.  If the Dodgers consider this guy to be a PR hot potato, the Orioles certainly aren't in a position to deal with it.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

He's actually not in a position to show contrition, is he?  He hasn't been acquitted, the DA simply doesn't have enough evidence to try him.  Any admission on his part could cost him his freedom.

Having said that, the Orioles should stay far, far away, IMO.  If the Dodgers consider this guy to be a PR hot potato, the Orioles certainly aren't in a position to deal with it.

Not sure what the status of any civil proceeding might be as I have been trying to avoid this topic.

My take on Trevor Bauer. Firstly, I am NOT condoning his behavior in any way. I wasn't there, I don't know what happened. 

Obviously he was used as a "we protect women" banner for MLB. He was targeted and what they did to him, was unjust. His out-spoken attitude, against Manfred in social media, played a HUGE role in the "holier than thou" MLB and its treatment of him. When you literally show proof, against the charges, and this whole fiasco continued, you knew someone up above, ($$$) was pulling the strings.

All that said, I would sign Bauer in a heartbeat, but he would have to agree to a second year. 

The talk of a media disaster is far too short sided. DeShaun Watson had over 30 complaints and what has happened to the Browns for it? Nothing. If the "game" didn't transcend the media, football would have been gone long ago.

• Upvote 3