Don't bet against "Mr Everywhere"

wildcard

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He must have PMed you.

Not at all.  I saw his post.

1/27/2023 at 8:53 PM,  wildcard said: 

So in a pennant race season is alright to give away games until they are compelled to replace the starter from the rotation.  Sounds like a poor plan.

What the F are you even talking about?  No matter who the O’s put in the rotation, the odds are that at least one of the pitchers will have issues and be replaced  by May 31.   Who will it be?  Couldn’t tell you.  

You didn’t answer my question about Holt.

Edited by RZNJ

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He must have PMed you.

I think you are on more solid ground with Westburg than the comment about Irvin that drew my response.   I wouldn’t say WTF to this.   Westburg has a shot to make the team out of ST or soon thereafter.   Hopefully he plays well in ST and gives Elias and Hyde a difficult choice.   

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Urias injury contributed to the Frazier signing. 

Understood...  but they have Vavra, Westburg, Norby, Ortiz that could already have filled that void.

Now they have a guy (Frazier) making real MLB money (which they'll feel compelled to play for that reason)... and he's going to impede their progress.

We could have traded either Urias or Mateo, and still been OK without adding someone. We ultimately are going to have to trade a few middle infield prospects.

Instead we ADDED a player to that potential logjam.

You could argue that Vavra/Westburg/Norby/Ortiz are unproven MLB commodities, and that any one of them might not stand up to pitching in the bigs. But you'd be hard pressed to pose a credible argument that NONE of them will. Or that Frazier will.

We should not be having to discuss the dilemma of not having a place to play these guys. Not for a journeyman 2B player we didn't need.

Edited by owknows
  • Upvote 1

If he really is a MOOB, Elias should hold off a couple weeks to get the extra service time. I don't think he is MOOB, but that actually may increase his chance of making the roster.

I'm not sure Vavra makes the roster even without Westburg. They are still talking about adding a LH OF. Westburg's competition appears to be Urias, Mateo, and Frazier. I don't see him beating out any of those three but a trade could open a spot.

The signing of Frazier doomed Westburg's chances of starting the year in Baltimore and I won't rehash my dislike of that move. What I will find interesting is how Westburg is used in AAA. Will he play 2B mostly? Will he play 1B, 2B and OF? Will they continue to waste reps with him at SS? Will he still play 3B? 

While I think the Orioles have done a pretty good job in development, where I don't think they've done a good job is identifying and playing guys at positions where they will most likely play at the major league level. If the Orioles didn't believe in Vavra at 2B, why not play him a lot if LF and CF to give him more experience.

Knowing they were going to have a whole at 2B this year, why was Westburg not given a steady diet of 2B to see if he could develop better there? 

To me, this failure of positional development is why they felt a need to sign Frazier for $8 million despite having Westburg, Vavra and Ortiz with AAA time under their belts.

The Orioles clearly believe moving guys around to give them experience at many positions is more important then getting guys rep at the position they most likely will play at the major league level. It remains to be seen whether or not the positional players will struggle initially at the major league level because they never really got the reps in the minor leagues at their main position.