ESPN Top 100

Pat Kelly

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Put it a different way.  Both he and ownership aren’t buying into this team enough to do what it takes to win now.

He didn’t buy into the 2022 team either.

He's been very clear about this:

He's not going to make moves to win now at the expense of the future.

It's not a mystery.  He's directly stated it.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He's been very clear about this:

He's not going to make moves to win now at the expense of the future.

It's not a mystery.  He's directly stated it.

And no one is asking for that.

Signing Eovaldi to a 2-3 year deal doesn’t hurt your future. Playing Westburg and Ortiz doesn’t hurt your future.  Adding 1-2 bats on short term deals does not hurt your future.

If we were asking for 5 for 1 prospect for established player trades or signing guys to 300M deals, that would be different.

But every deal is about the short term with an eye on the long term.

Edited by Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Anyhoo, who do you think is not in the top 100 this year will be next year?

If I had to pick 1 guy who was not named in any top 100 lists that I've seen, I'm going with.........

Samual Basallo

That would be my pick.  Beavers seems to be a guy who has a chance.

My sleeper is Fabian. I didn’t like the pick because of the batting profile but after seeing what he did in the minors, I’m beginning to think that the Univ of Florida stuff Jammer has talked about is real.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And no one is asking for that.

Signing Eovaldi to a 2-3 year deal doesn’t hurt your future. Playing Westburg and Ortiz doesn’t hurt your future.  Adding 1-2 bats on short term deals does not hurt your future.

If signing Eovaldi was done at the expense of potentially signing someone better next year or the year after it's very clear it would have an impact on the future. The Orioles under Peter did not routinely give out multi year contracts to FA SP. They definitely aren't going to do it under JA. So the question is, is beating Texas' offer and potentially giving 3 years to a 33 year old with extensive injury history the best move for the future? 2021 was the only year since 2016 that he's thrown more than 115 innings.

Just now, LTO's said:

If signing Eovaldi was done at the expense of potentially signing someone better next year or the year after it's very clear it would have an impact on the future. The Orioles under Peter did not routinely give out multi year contracts to FA SP. They definitely aren't going to do it under JA. So the question is, is beating Texas' offer and potentially giving 3 years to a 33 year old with extensive injury history the best move for the future? 2021 was the only year since 2016 that he's thrown more than 115 innings.

Elias claimed that he had multi year deals out for pitchers. So, unless he was lying, he was fine doing this and chances are those guys would have come with a risk, as that was the case with basically every FA pitcher.

On top of that, you need 5 starters and our team doesn’t have that long term.  Also, the payroll is next to nothing the next several years. We have around 15 or so players who will be on the OD roster making the league minimum. That will continue to be a trend for a while.

So no, none of this is a real concern. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Anyhoo, who do you think is not in the top 100 this year will be next year?

If I had to pick 1 guy who was not named in any top 100 lists that I've seen, I'm going with.........

Samual Basallo

Basallo and Beavers are the ones I trust the most.  And Kjerstad.  But I'm really hoping Fabian takes a huge step. 

And Povich becomes universally ranked in the top 50.  

Long shots:  Baumler.  I'm still holding out hope!  And Bright.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias claimed that he had multi year deals out for pitchers. So, unless he was lying, he was fine doing this and chances are those guys would have come with a risk, as that was the case with basically every FA pitcher.

On top of that, you need 5 starters and our team doesn’t have that long term.  Also, the payroll is next to nothing the next several years. We have around 15 or so players who will be on the OD roster making the league minimum. That will continue to be a trend for a while.

So no, none of this is a real concern. 

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if Eovaldi is the only multi-year FA that he would be permitted to sign this offseason and next, that would be the move you would want the team to make? I'm well aware the payroll is next to nothing. It's pathetic. However, the Orioles, even when the payroll was much higher, did not sign a FA SP every offseason. Or even every other offseason. So the point stands and you didn't address it. If Eovaldi was the choice for not just this offseason but the next one as well, are you confident that's the best for the club? 

The rumors are that they were in on Syndergaard and Taillon. I think if I were to overpay to get one of those three guys, Eovaldi would be last on the list given the age and health. They were never said to be in on Eovaldi and he may have been eyeing Texas from the beginning as older pitchers are able to do. He's from there.

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if Eovaldi is the only multi-year FA that he would be permitted to sign this offseason and next, that would be the move you would want the team to make? I'm well aware the payroll is next to nothing. It's pathetic. However, the Orioles, even when the payroll was much higher, did not sign a FA SP every offseason. Or even every other offseason. So the point stands and you didn't address it. If Eovaldi was the choice for not just this offseason but the next one as well, are you confident that's the best for the club? 

The rumors are that they were in on Syndergaard and Taillon. I think if I were to overpay to get one of those three guys, Eovaldi would be last on the list given the age and health. They were never said to be in on Eovaldi and he may have been eyeing Texas from the beginning as older pitchers are able to do. He's from there.

Well, I think the thought they would only sign one pitcher to a multi year deal over a multi year period of time is absurd and I don’t believe that to be the case.

But if that’s the case, sure I would take him because I don’t believe they would be in the running for anyone better. It’s not that he’s some great pitcher but he represents the best/highest upside of the pitchers they would acquire.  I wouldn’t come close to paying Noah or Taillon anything compared to Eovaldi.

Eovaldi has 2 issues..health and homers.  Homers can be solved here.  Can he stay healthy?  I’m not overly optimistic that he can..but I’m not overly optimistic about any of them to stay healthy either.  You have to take chances.

A few pages back CoC said "You should have tons of room to add payroll. "  I have posted a spreadsheet multiple times that disputes that "fact". Revenue has been about $250 M for awhile, Operating Costs are  about $100 M, Expenses are about $20 M about Salaries so about $75 M, that leaves about $75 M which needs to Cover JA's profit whatever that may be. The leftover can be added to $75 M, ME ain't gonna go crazy unless JA accept less profit or Revenue increases.

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

A few pages back CoC said "You should have tons of room to add payroll. "  I have posted a spreadsheet multiple times that disputes that "fact". Revenue has been about $250 M for awhile, Operating Costs are  about $100 M, Expenses are about $20 M about Salaries so about $75 M, that leaves about $75 M which needs to Cover JA's profit whatever that may be. The leftover can be added to $75 M, ME ain't gonna go crazy unless JA accept less profit or Revenue increases.

And that revenue doesn’t include MASN, correct?

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I think the thought they would only sign one pitcher to a multi year deal over a multi year period of time is absurd and I don’t believe that to be the case.

I'm pretty sure they went 4 years after the Ubaldo contract without giving a FA pitcher over 22 million dollars...total. I'd be shocked if this changed under JA. 

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I'm pretty sure they went 4 years after the Ubaldo contract without giving a FA pitcher over 22 million dollars...total. I'd be shocked if this changed under JA. 

And again, they offered multiple multi year deals.  So unless you think Elias lied or threw out incredibly insulting deals, you are likely wrong here.