ESPN Top 100

Pat Kelly

Just now, Sports Guy said:

So basically, you are of the mindset that if they do it, we shouldn’t question it?  They should get the benefit of the doubt when every single piece of evidence points to this being a pointless and poor move?

No, not at all. Question it all you like. As I've repeatedly said, I don't think I would have committed the resources this way.

My issue is moreso with the strength of the opinion. It's just not a very big deal and the counter arguments (LH bat, not having to rely on Westburg, the GM having more knowledge/experience, veteranosity lol) are deserving of more consideration than the critics of the deal are giving it.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

No, not at all. Question it all you like. As I've repeatedly said, I don't think I would have committed the resources this way.

My issue is moreso with the strength of the opinion. It's just not a very big deal and the counter arguments (LH bat, not having to rely on Westburg, the GM having more knowledge/experience, veteranosity lol) are deserving of more consideration than the critics of the deal are giving it.

No, they really aren’t.

The LH bat thing at the new OPACY is a myth. We don’t need insurance for a position that we have as many as 4 or 5 options.

Don’t really care about the GM experience stuff. That’s saying we shouldn’t question him.

Paying 8M for a mediocre at best player and blocking your better young players is kind of a big deal and the type of move the Os of the 2000s would do yet now people are ok with it.

Of course, this site was riddled with people back then who thought those types of moves were good too, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, they really aren’t.

The LH bat thing at the new OPACY is a myth. We don’t need insurance for a position that we have as many as 4 or 5 options.

Don’t really care about the GM experience stuff. That’s saying we shouldn’t question him.

Paying 8M for a mediocre at best player and blocking your better young players is kind of a big deal and the type of move the Os of the 2000s would do yet now people are ok with it.

Of course, this site was riddled with people back then who thought those types of moves were good too, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Fortunately we'll get to see how it all plays out in a couple months.

2 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

1/4 of the cost actually, I assume you're talking about Josh Harrison?

Maybe it's the age, maybe they're set on the LH aspect, or maybe they like Frazier 4x as much because they think there's a good shot they get him back to the 2021 version. Or maybe they're just wrong.

Like I said, I wouldn't have allocated the resources this way, especially if they prevented something like the Gibson deal becoming the Bassitt deal. I doubt that's the case and think it's tied more to the years/total $, but who knows.

I just feel confident they know more about it than we do and if they're wrong, it's not a very big deal.

Pretty sure Angelos prevented that.  No way is some free agent cutting into his profits.  Sure a one year deal just to look like they're trying, but got to keep the payroll close to the A's.

I didn't agree with the Frazier signing for all the reasons outlined here, especially for how it likely delays Westburg / Ortiz. But I'm also keeping in mind that nothing happens in a vacuum. I would not be at all surprised if Elias was working on a deal that included sending one or two of our infield pieces to another team, and he grabbed Frazier as a veteran depth piece while he could, before he signed with someone else. 

8 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I didn't agree with the Frazier signing for all the reasons outlined here, especially for how it likely delays Westburg / Ortiz. But I'm also keeping in mind that nothing happens in a vacuum. I would not be at all surprised if Elias was working on a deal that included sending one or two of our infield pieces to another team, and he grabbed Frazier as a veteran depth piece while he could, before he signed with someone else. 

The only explanations I can think of are

1. A trade was/is in the works

2. Plausible deniability to gain an extra year for all of Westburg/Ortiz/Norby.

It still feels like Elias is pushing out our competitive window as far as possible. 

Edited by LookinUp

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It still feels like Elias is pushing out our competitive window as far as possible. 

I wonder if he's even thinking in the terms of a 'competitive window' at all?  I think he truly wants to build a perennial contender.  And that requires a solid foundation before pushing the chips in (and that's what concerns me about all the legal issues hanging around the Angeloses).

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

I wonder if he's even thinking in the terms of a 'competitive window' at all?  I think he truly wants to build a perennial contender.  And that requires a solid foundation before pushing the chips in (and that's what concerns me about all the legal issues hanging around the Angeloses).

I do not get wasting a year of Adley.

Just now, RZNJ said:

What does that mean, wasting a year of Adley?

You have Seven...no wait Six...years of team control before Adley has the right to pick his own employer.

I don't get why you wouldn't try and maximize the team's chances to win during that time period.

Especially since there is a fair chance that instead of six years, it's four, or five.

I think he's the type of player you accelerate your plan for.