P Nick Roth retires

Legend_Of_Joey

Good luck to the young man. Guys who understand where they really are on the prospect scene the soonest tend to go off and have success more than the ones that stick around a long time when they really know they are not good enough. 

I wish him nothing but the best!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s always a bit sad to hear that someone is giving up their dream, but hopefully Nick will find a new dream he can fulfill.   Good luck to him!

In a way I get that sediment, but when I see a NP hang it up, especially when they are only a few years into their career, I see I young man who is realistic and ready to get on with that next step in his life. 

Unfortunately, some players hang around way too long and then end up in their late 20s with limited skills and perhaps limited education if they didn't go to college and now have to figure out what's next. 

I think believe every young man who ended up playing pro should all feel proud because they are among the best to play the game. No one can ever take that away from them, but it's always better to understand your own skill set compared to your peers and make that call earlier than later.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

In a way I get that sediment, but when I see a NP hang it up, especially when they are only a few years into their career, I see I young man who is realistic and ready to get on with that next step in his life. 

Unfortunately, some players hang around way too long and then end up in their late 20s with limited skills and perhaps limited education if they didn't go to college and now have to figure out what's next. 

I think believe every young man who ended up playing pro should all feel proud because they are among the best to play the game. No one can ever take that away from them, but it's always better to understand your own skill set compared to your peers and make that call earlier than later.

I agree with all that.  I guess in some cases the players have an unrealistic view of their chances, while others simply love playing too much to give it up, or don’t feel they have any better alternative.   

In Roth’s case, he signed for a $1,000 bonus in 2019, has never gotten past high A in four years, and he may well have been cut this spring if he hadn’t chosen to retire.  He played 4 years of college ball, so hopefully he got his degree or is close to getting it. It’s obviously the smart decision to move on to something else.  

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I mostly agree.  I think a lot of the guys that hang around are the 'baseball lifer' types.  They are likely looking for jobs in the baseball world whether it be pro, college, or HS.  Pretty solid 'career training' to be part of an MLB organization.  Pro athlete opens a lot of doors for players later in life.  At the very least it tells future employers about their work ethic and ability to work in a team environment.  Folks that are not going to have anything to do with baseball are best suited to get out ASAP and get on with their lives.  There is also something more dignified to ending your career on your terms and not having someone tell you that you are no longer good enough to play.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I mostly agree.  I think a lot of the guys that hang around are the 'baseball lifer' types.  They are likely looking for jobs in the baseball world whether it be pro, college, or HS.  Pretty solid 'career training' to be part of an MLB organization.  Pro athlete opens a lot of doors for players later in life.  At the very least it tells future employers about their work ethic and ability to work in a team environment.  Folks that are not going to have anything to do with baseball are best suited to get out ASAP and get on with their lives.  There is also something more dignified to ending your career on your terms and not having someone tell you that you are no longer good enough to play.  

Yep, I agree with that overall. Some guys that's all they know and want to do. Of course, nowadays it's gets harder to get those coaching jobs because teams are starting to do the Orioles thing by hiring guys who have more experience with analytic and systems than professional playing experience.

I think we'll potentially see that chance over time as more pro guys gets experience in the systems and are able to bring both to the table.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, I agree with that overall. Some guys that's all they know and want to do. Of course, nowadays it's gets harder to get those coaching jobs because teams are starting to do the Orioles thing by hiring guys who have more experience with analytic and systems than professional playing experience.

I think we'll potentially see that chance over time as more pro guys gets experience in the systems and are able to bring both to the table.

I imagine the cutting edge orgs like LA, Cleveland, Tampa, Houston, and (can't believe I'm saying this) Baltimore are more attractive to those players looking for jobs in baseball due to their heavy reliance on technology and new school thought of teaching hitting and pitching.