Elias makes two things clear; 1st base and Irvin

wildcard

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

It seems like people don't realize that the pitching splits from last year are nowhere near as bad as they think. Home ERA was 3.73 and road ERA was 4.24. That's around the league average H/A splits for pitching.  The pitching just very obviously improved as a whole. The Wall could be part of that. Or it could not be. 

Clearly it was better. I hear all the time about how Rockies hitters are impacted when they get on the road. It’s like playing a different game. 

I don’t know how you would measure it but if pitchers were hesitant at home that is something that could carry to road games. If pitchers are more aggressive at home due to the wall that is something that could also carry over to the road. 

On 2/4/2023 at 12:21 PM, Frobby said:

I actually like the aesthetics of the new wall.  But it’s a matter of taste.  

I threw up in mouth a little bit. :D

The aesthetics is awful in my opinion, losing the low wall where outfielders got to battle fans for home runs balls, was a big loss. The high walls reminds me of those awful cookie cutter 1970s stadiums.

The jutting out of the wall is awkward to say the least as well.

I don't mind the distance increase any more, but they definitely hurt the look of the stadium with these changes.

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

What competitive advantage are the O's receiving relative to their opponent?

Creating a lower run scoring environment. If your talent is superior it doesn’t matter but if it’s not it matters. 

The second the wall was built made the Orioles more competitive at home. Put a drag on runs. 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I threw up in mouth a little bit. :D

The aesthetics is awful in my opinion, losing the low wall where outfielders got to battle fans for home runs balls, was a big loss. The high walls reminds me of those awful cookie cutter 1970s stadiums.

The jutting out of the wall is awkward to say the least as well.

I don't mind the distance increase any more, but they definitely hurt the look of the stadium with these changes.

I bet they tweak it more when they make stadium upgrades. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t know how you would measure it but if pitchers were hesitant at home that is something that could carry to road games. If pitchers are more aggressive at home due to the wall that is something that could also carry over to the road. 

Yep. I'm pretty sure our pitchers and Elias have mentioned this when talking about the Wall. That's a developmental type thing and not a competitive advantage thing. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Creating a lower run scoring environment. If your talent is superior it doesn’t matter but if it’s not it matters. 

The second the wall was built made the Orioles more competitive at home. Put a drag on runs.

A lower run scoring environment doesn't automatically give the Orioles a clear advantage over their opponents. The Orioles offense was below average last year. The drag on runs effects both teams. 

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Doesn't seem to help Oakland. Also, Camden historically hasn't been a high run scoring environment, even with the home runs. The park factors for runs scored tend to run either neutral or slightly above, because it was always a really bad park for doubles and triples.

8 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Yep. I'm pretty sure our pitchers and Elias have mentioned this when talking about the Wall. That's a developmental type thing and not a competitive advantage thing. 

A lower run scoring environment doesn't automatically give the Orioles a clear advantage over their opponents. The Orioles offense was below average last year. The drag on runs effects both teams. 

A lower run environment means closer games. You can then tailor your team to fit that.

The Royals did this when I was a kid, same thing with St Louis. 

It's interesting....one year park factors are often fickle, but we only have one year of data to go on with the new dimensions. Based on that one year, the bigger LF didn't result in the increase in doubles and triples that some were hoping for; it looks like the lost HR were traded instead for a bunch of singles. In terms of actual runs scored, it wasn't much different than many previous years.

https://www.seamheads.com/ballparks/ballpark.php?parkID=BAL12&tab=pf1

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, deward said:

Doesn't seem to help Oakland. Also, Camden historically hasn't been a high run scoring environment, even with the home runs. The park factors for runs scored tend to run either neutral or slightly above, because it was always a really bad park for doubles and triples.

It hasn’t ?  

It was a HR haven. Mediocre pitching got destroyed in that park. Especially when you look at the division the Orioles play in. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It hasn’t ?  

It was a HR haven. Mediocre pitching got destroyed in that park. Especially when you look at the division the Orioles play in. 

It hasn't. More HR didn't equal a crazy run environment overall. The numbers are what they are.

12 hours ago, eddie83 said:

ME is obviously putting a focus on defense & LH bats.  All guys drafted are Plus defenders giving us an advantage on defense.  He's drafting LH heavy hitters to give us an advantage on offense.  Living in the margins.  

Edited by emmett16

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Was referring to Oakland.  

Ah, sorry. Well, Oakland lost 102 games last year. The 2019 team that won 97 games hit 257 HR and were 5th in the AL in runs scored. Oakland's stadium has consistently been a lower run environment than OPCY, but I'm not seeing where they really built around that. They built around pitching, defense, and home runs, which is a classic formula.

10 minutes ago, deward said:

Ah, sorry. Well, Oakland lost 102 games last year. The 2019 team that won 97 games hit 257 HR and were 5th in the AL in runs scored. Oakland's stadium has consistently been a lower run environment than OPCY, but I'm not seeing where they really built around that. They built around pitching, defense, and home runs, which is a classic formula.

They are in a massive rebuild. 

57 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

A lower run environment means closer games. You can then tailor your team to fit that.

The Royals did this when I was a kid, same thing with St Louis. 

Yeah I just don't see how this gives the Orioles a distinct advantage over teams. Seems extremely negligible at best.