Angelos Claims He's Not Selling

ThisIsBirdland

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You know, if we were a Padres board there would still be the same amount of negativity?   

Can’t win the big one.  I could put together a better team for 250 million.   The usual stuff.

I disagree. Maybe in October that would be said. This is the optimistic time of the year. I bet PadresHangout is pretty damn positive. 

Not trying to speak for all but if they had signed a legit starting pitcher it changes the feel of the off-season. 

I’d love to have a rich owner who was in the mood to subsidize his baseball team, which appears to be what Seidler is doing.  But most owners don’t do that, and the Angelos family probably can’t at this point.  

I would love to be able to fast forward five years and see what the Padres are doing then.  Is this a long term plan, or a “strike while the iron is hot” philosophy?  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d love to have a rich owner who was in the mood to subsidize his baseball team, which appears to be what Seidler is doing.  But most owners don’t do that, and the Angelos family probably can’t at this point.  

I would love to be able to fast forward five years and see what the Padres are doing then.  Is this a long term plan, or a “strike while the iron is hot” philosophy?  

I doubt it works long term. Heck they may be in trouble in 2/3 years. Manny will be a FA. Then Soto. Poor farm after all the deals. 

This is a Iive in the moment type of team. They may still try this method but I doubt it works well. 

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t want the Os run in the same manner that SD has.

• Upvote 1

But are selling some Peter Angelos real estate assets over the last few years. Still trying to sell One Charles Center, a 23 story building. The latest asset sold:

Orioles owner Peter Angelos has sold a high-profile suburban shopping center for $15.1 million. The Foxtail Center in Timonium changed hands in late January, state records show. The buyer was SCC Foxtail Center LLC, a subsidiary of SITE Centers Corp

I love winning but I'd prefer the Tampa/Houston type of situation where you are more of the David than Goliath.   I'm just weird that way.   So many years of hating the Yankees who mostly had the highest payroll in the game year in, year out.     Although I was happy with the Orioles of the late 1990's it took a little fun out of it that they were one of the top payrolls in baseball at the time.   I hope the O's can extend some of their own but I hope they can win something while getting the least amount of high priced FA's as possible.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

How do you not hear yourself when you say, "the pandemic was great actually because it meant we could afford to pay our players without anyone attending games". Good thing for that global pandemic! Our pocket books thank you, COVID-19! Incredible tone deafness. 

He didn’t say anything remotely like that.  Where are you getting that from?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

They could if they wanted. Seidler is only a billion dollars or so richer than the Angelos clan.,according to Forbes. What is a billion dollars among friends? Angelos clan is the 19th richest  ownership group in MLB as of 2022. Maybe the other minority owners of the Orioles can make up the billion Cleveland Indians owner is putting some money into the renovation funding of the Cleveland stadium. Imagine if the state and city would ask Angelos to chip in a little also. But that would take someone with some baseballs. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He didn’t say anything remotely like that.  Where are you getting that from?

"It was also we were fortunate that as the world hit a pandemic, we were stripped down. … I mean, that was just good luck in that sense, to not have a lot of payroll. Teams that had a lot of payroll and that were relying on live attendance to pay for that, were in a much worse situation. We were much better situated. Just luck. Lucky, really.”

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-mlb/john-angelos-hopes-for-new-camden-yards-lease-by-summer-says-family-has-no-plans-to-sell-orioles-544EKWB2DBGQLMKKMTA5A4LG74/

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They could if they wanted. Seidler is only a billion dollars or so richer than the Angelos clan.,according to Forbes. What is a billion dollars among friends? Angelos clan is the 19th richest  ownership group in MLB as of 2022. Maybe the other minority owners of the Orioles can make up the billion Cleveland Indians owner is putting some money into the renovation funding of the Cleveland stadium. Imagine if the state and city would ask Angelos to chip in a little also. But that would take someone with some baseballs. 

Lawyers are only as good as their most recent case.   Angelos had some great paydays, but they’re over.  An investment guy like Seidler can have money rolling in while he’s out playing golf.   Anyway, as I said, I don’t feel an owner has any obligation to subsidize his team, and most don’t.  For now, Seidler appears to be an exception.  

• Like 1

Just now, interloper said:

"It was also we were fortunate that as the world hit a pandemic, we were stripped down. … I mean, that was just good luck in that sense, to not have a lot of payroll. Teams that had a lot of payroll and that were relying on live attendance to pay for that, were in a much worse situation. We were much better situated. Just luck. Lucky, really.”

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-mlb/john-angelos-hopes-for-new-camden-yards-lease-by-summer-says-family-has-no-plans-to-sell-orioles-544EKWB2DBGQLMKKMTA5A4LG74/

I heard that.  That’s a totally different statement than your paraphrase.  He didn’t say the pandemic was lucky or allowed him to pay his players.  He said the O’s were lucky that when the pandemic hit, they happened to have a low payroll.  

• Upvote 1