Ootp Baseball 2023 - Orioles in Playoffs

bluedog

Game 2 - John Means pitched 7 innings of 2 ER ball with 10 Ks, but was outdueled by Christian Javier and took the loss.

With nobody out and down by 2 runs, Cedric Mullins singled in Terrin Vavra in the 8th inning, stole 2nd base and went to 3rd on an errant throw from the catcher. Then Rutschman, Henderson and Stowers each struck out swinging to strand the tying run at 3rd.

Next up Garrett Stallings versus Lance McCullers Jr for the decisive Game 3.

OsStrosGm2story.thumb.GIF.654f5caf885863781cafdd0872352c9f.GIF

Game 3 - Aint the Beer Cold!

Cedric Mullins and Gunnar Henderson each greeted McCullers with 1st inning blasts to right field as the O's built a 3 - 0 lead. Stalling's gave the O's just enough to get the game to the back of the O's bullpen where Cionel Perez, Ryne Stanek, Tom Cosgrove and Ron Marinaccio blanked the Astros with 3 innings of solid relief. Marinaccio needed only 10 pitches to grab his 45th save of the season as he sealed the O's first playoff series win of the Elias era.

Gunnar Henderson's second two run homer run of the night gave the O's the lead for good in the 8th and helped the rookie of the year candidate to bring home series MVP. 

Next up the O's take on the Cleveland Guardians.

Os Stros Gm3 story.GIF

3 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I have a better chance than GRod of throwing 115 pitches in a game for the Orioles this year. 

Ootpb has a model for player development as they age and GRod evolved elite stamina during the season which is why he was able to work 115 pitches. 

A man can dream right?

2 hours ago, bluedog said:

Ootpb has a model for player development as they age and GRod evolved elite stamina during the season which is why he was able to work 115 pitches. 

A man can dream right?

I love this game. OOTP 24 will be out right around opening day. Only gripe had with the 23 version was they didn’t have OPACY updated. 

This was the game I played during Covid when there wasn’t any baseball.  It’s really weird to get emotionally attached to fictional players you’ve drafted and developed. 

I also had an ‘86 Mets franchise going which is nice cause you can keep going and pretend that Doc and Darryl never did blow. I traded for Ozzie Smith in that one, he was amazing on defense. Maybe I’ll get back to playing it, it was fun. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Reading this thread, I like the speed of the games!   What do they have, an 0.1 second clock between pitches?  😉

That Hall for Kelenic move was pretty bold.  Would you do that in real life?

You can simulate a game in less than a minute.  And then you can have it stop and you can control situations in late and close games from a strategy perspective (what pitch to throw, hit and run, take a pitch if you're at the plate, swing for contact or sell out for power, etc).  You can get through a whole season in a day or two...or you can really slow down and manage every pitch of every game.  

I'm not huge on Hall but I wouldn't trade him for Kelenic, especially with the amount of positional talent we have now.   558 plate appearances across two seasons, he's not been good.  And he didn't get better from 2021 to 2022, he got worse.  I realize that's not a huge sample size but you want to see him get better from 2021 to 2022, not worse.  

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You can simulate a game in less than a minute.  And then you can have it stop and you can control situations in late and close games from a strategy perspective (what pitch to throw, hit and run, take a pitch if you're at the plate, swing for contact or sell out for power, etc).  You can get through a whole season in a day or two...or you can really slow down and manage every pitch of every game.  

I'm not huge on Hall but I wouldn't trade him for Kelenic, especially with the amount of positional talent we have now.   558 plate appearances across two seasons, he's not been good.  And he didn't get better from 2021 to 2022, he got worse.  I realize that's not a huge sample size but you want to see him get better from 2021 to 2022, not worse.  

We need upside pitchers more than upside hitters, so I wouldn’t do it either.  Then again, @bluedogmade a whole bunch of position player trades, so maybe Kelenic’s upside was more useful on a restructured team.  Very Billy Beane of him!

• Upvote 1