Can Mateo and Mullins combine for 100 steals.

wildcard

Dan Connolly of The Athletic spoke to Mullins and Mateo.  Its behind a firewall so I will not post quotes.

Mateo says he can steal 50 and Mullins says if he can, I can.   Both say if they stay healthy.

Connolly also questioned Mateo about hitting better.   Mateo says he knows he needs to improve his ability to get on base and he has been work on that this off season.

https://theathletic.com/4242045/2023/02/22/orioles-jorge-mateo-steal-50-bases/

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

I think the first question is whether Mateo will get 500+ PA like he did last year, or will he lose playing time to better hitters?   And if he does play, will he get on base more often than last year?  

In any event, I’m going to guess that we will not see a 50% spike in SB from these two, or generally around the league.  Probably more like 20-30%.   But we’ll see.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

From Elias's comments on Urias, it sounds like Gunnar is playing most games at SS. I don't think Mateo is an everyday player. I don't think they will be anywhere near 100.

Mateo has some things to prove in ST.   It should be fun to following.   I wish I could has watch but.....

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

From Elias's comments on Urias, it sounds like Gunnar is playing most games at SS. I don't think Mateo is an everyday player. I don't think they will be anywhere near 100.

I agree that is what Elias said, but it just sounds off to me. Mateo has a breakout year when he gets to play every day. He wins the Fielding Bible Award at SS, and we move him to part-time role? I get the shortcomings of the bat, and he has more development to go, but to keep him on the roster and not give him the majority of games at SS in order to play Urias more at 3B is just wacky to me. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I agree that is what Elias said, but it just sounds off to me. Mateo has a breakout year when he gets to play every day. He wins the Fielding Bible Award at SS, and we move him to part-time role? I get the shortcomings of the bat, and he has more development to go, but to keep him on the roster and not give him the majority of games at SS in order to play Urias more at 3B is just wacky to me. 

You'd also be playing Gunnar at Short.

You talk about Mateo having a breakout year (3.4 rWAR) and a Fielding bible award as if Urias didn't have a breakout year(3.6rWAR) and a Gold Glove.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You'd also be playing Gunnar at Short.

You talk about Mateo having a breakout year (3.4 rWAR) and a Fielding bible award as if Urias didn't have a breakout year(3.6rWAR) and a Gold Glove.

Right. It makes perfect sense.

Its not like they are going with a project at SS and/or third base.

Henderson plays basically everyday (probably 150-155 games) and the other 3 vets rotate in and out of the lineup.