2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

No Hays

I'm a little surprised by Cowser in Left, Santander in Right and Hicks DHing. Wouldn't the better alignment be Hicks in Left, Cowser in Right and Ant DHing? Even if Hyde is setting up Hays to pinch-hit later in the game, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me with Ant being the weakest defender of the group. 

1 minute ago, TommyPickles said:

I really don't understand why they keep starting Frazier over Urias against RHP.

Frazier: .718 OPS against RHP, starting at 2B

Hicks: .714 OPS against RHP, starting at DH

Urias: .836 OPS against RHP, on the bench

Well, you do need to look at the pitcher half of the split too.  

In his small sample size major league career, Vasquez has allowed a .442 OPS to RH, .653 OPS to LH.
This year in the minors:   .833 OPS to RH, .704 to LH
Last year in the minors:   .634 OPS to RH, .739 OPS to LH
2021 in the minors:  .619 OPS to RH, .614 OPS to LH
2019 in the minors:  .673 OPS to RH, .538 OPS to LH
2018 in the minors:  .458 OPS to RH, .555 OPS to LH

So it's kind of a mixed bag there.   Some years it's been better to have lefites agianst him, some righties, and some one neutral.  This year in the majors, he has really shut down righties, but that isn't a lot of innings.

And of course the stadium, you definitely want as many LH hitters as possible at Yankee Stadium.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Winning will be exciting.  The rest means little to me. 

How is having a top-5 record in all of baseball not winning?

If your threshold for excitement/enjoyment is winning titles or being the undisputed best team from wire to wire, you'll end up disappointed 99% of the time.

Obviously we can all fan how we want to, but I try to enjoy the process as if it's the end goal. Which is also why I admittedly have no interest in selling off homegrown players and shoving all of our chips in. What is happening right now could be as good as it will ever get.

2 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

I really don't understand why they keep starting Frazier over Urias against RHP.

Frazier: .718 OPS against RHP, starting at 2B

Hicks: .714 OPS against RHP, starting at DH

Urias: .836 OPS against RHP, on the bench

Likely because the RF wall in Yankee stadium makes any LHB who pulls a ball in the air, Babe Ruth.

Edited by Malike

21 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

How is having a top-5 record in all of baseball not winning?

If your threshold for excitement/enjoyment is winning titles or being the undisputed best team from wire to wire, you'll end up disappointed 99% of the time.

Obviously we can all fan how we want to, but I try to enjoy the process as if it's the end goal. Which is also why I admittedly have no interest in selling off homegrown players and shoving all of our chips in. What is happening right now could be as good as it will ever get.

I guess since I am 66 and have rooted for 60 years, I am probably more anxious to see a winner right now now than 20 years ago . My days of patience are at an end though I have endured many bad seasons lol . 
My response was to the post about being excited simply because kids are called up .. no I will be excited if they help us win games. 

oh and that top 5 record was top 2 a month ago lol .. baseball seasons are marathons 

Edited by tntoriole