Early spring bullpen thoughts

interloper

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wonder if you injected Elias with truth serum, who he thinks the absolute best 26 players are.

You have to wonder at what point does this team actually get its 26 best players on the roster at the same time. The easy one is Westburg over Frazier obviously. But what's trickier is Kjerstad and Cowser. How much rope does Stowers get if he's the weakest link in a trio that includes himself, Hays, and Santander? 

40 minutes ago, interloper said:

You have to wonder at what point does this team actually get its 26 best players on the roster at the same time. The easy one is Westburg over Frazier obviously. But what's trickier is Kjerstad and Cowser. How much rope does Stowers get if he's the weakest link in a trio that includes himself, Hays, and Santander? 

There are plenty of at bats for all of those guys and that assumes Hays and Santander can stay healthy, which is a huge assumption.

Bautista, Wells, Pérez, Baker, Baumann, Givens and Akin.

If you feel you want Watkins or Voth as a long reliever and Baumann goes to AAA and closes, I could get behind that knowing you may need the innings early and wanting Baumann to be a short reliever.

Edited by Sports Guy

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you feel you want Watkins or Voth as a long reliever and Baumann goes to AAA and closes, I could get behind that knowing you may need the innings early and wanting Baumann to be a short reliever.

Voth will be on the team before Buamann.  I'd bet on that.

22 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Voth will be on the team before Buamann.  I'd bet on that.

He might be because they want the length, especially early in the season.

But if Baumann takes to the short reliever role well, he will have a larger impact as a high leverage guy.

Edited by Sports Guy

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don't think they go with 8 relievers out of the gate? I guess there are a fair number of off days early on. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He might be because they want the length, especially early in the season.

But if Baumann takes to the short reliever role well, he will have a larger impact as a high leverage guy.

I obviously have no insider knowledge of anything, but Voth will start in the pen, and Baumann will be in the pen in AAA.

Hopefully, Baumann can flourish in that role and be a factor as the season progresses.

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

You don't think they go with 8 relievers out of the gate? I guess there are a fair number of off days early on. 

Can they do 8 relievers out of the gate? Isn’t there a limit? (I can’t keep all those dumb COVID rules straight anymore)

22 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I obviously have no insider knowledge of anything, but Voth will start in the pen, and Baumann will be in the pen in AAA.

Hopefully, Baumann can flourish in that role and be a factor as the season progresses.

I think your scenario is likely. Just not convinced that’s the best way to do it but again, maybe the length is needed. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Another clean inning by Krehbiel today (3/21) along with Cionel Perez, Bazardo, and Garrett combining for four shutout innings. Krehbiel may be doing just enough to keep his spot. 

Yesterday (3/20) Politi had a walk in 1.1 scoreless. 

I could see Krehbiel making the team at this point. He's got an option so it's easy to send him out if he struggles. There's not much difference between doing that vs. adding someone like Gillaspie or Baumann out of the gate. 

Bazardo is intriguing, I sorta like him. 

Garrett I think will be one of the next cuts. 

Politi is making a case too. He's pitching well, but he's not out there dominating with stuff either, so I'm not sure about him.