Mets star closer Edwin Diaz out for year.

DocJJ

I like Bautista but I don’t think he was exactly automatic last year. And based on nothing else other than my gut feeling, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a big regression this year. 

That said, I’d have to be blown away for a trade. I’m not saying I’d definitely trade him but if the Mets called I’d listen. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like Bautista but I don’t think he was exactly automatic last year. And based on nothing else other than my gut feeling, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a big regression this year. 

That said, I’d have to be blown away for a trade. I’m not saying I’d definitely trade him but if the Mets called I’d listen. 

He was dominant.  What do you consider automatic, 100% in save chances?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bautista has looked good in his first 2 spring outings. So far, so good. Hopefully that will continue into the regular season.

Edited by rm5678

I had not watched any WBC games until tonight. The excitement of the people in the stadium is amazing, especially for Venezuela. Baseball has an older audience and dwindling audience problem. This is your audience right here. Many young, excited fans in the stadium. I can't wait to see the reception team Cuba gets in Miami tomorrow in the semifinals. 

On 3/17/2023 at 2:00 PM, RZNJ said:

Some people do seem to be assuming that Britton's and Jim Johnson's peak Oriole seasons are the norm. I'm just grateful they happened and lasted as long as they did.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:00 PM, RZNJ said:

The margin between a dominant closer and an average one is pretty thin, if you’re measuring by save percentage.  If you’re at 90% you’re very good, at 80% you’re out of a job.  Bautista was at 88% last year, 92% after becoming the closer.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Some people do seem to be assuming that Britton's and Jim Johnson's peak Oriole seasons are the norm. I'm just grateful they happened and lasted as long as they did.

Britton was automatic.  The hitters knew exactly what the pitch was going to be and still couldn’t hit it.   You only had to worry about the grounder being so weak that it would be an infield hit.  lol

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The margin between a dominant closer and an average one is pretty thin, if you’re measuring by save percentage.  If you’re at 90% you’re very good, at 80% you’re out of a job.  Bautista was at 88% last year, 92% after becoming the closer.  

“Automatic” is subjective.  I was confident when Bautista came in.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Another big injury last.night, Altuve has a fractured thumb after a HBP on the hand. No timetable yet. They have done business with us before. I wonder if they might be interested in Urias. 

And Altuve's injury was one that could have also happened in a truly, meaningless, Spring Training game

40 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Another big injury last.night, Altuve has a fractured thumb after a HBP on the hand. No timetable yet. They have done business with us before. I wonder if they might be interested in Urias. 

Gonna get their top 3 prospects for Urias like we did the with Dodger and Mateo.