Ranking the O's starters for the 2023 season

wildcard

Taking what I have seen from ST and past performance:

1)  Grayson Rodriguez -  He is not there yet but over the course of 2023 I think he becomes the staff ace.   I am not even sure he makes the rotation to begin the season but he has the best stuff and makeup to be the O's best starter.

100 IP   3.50 ERA 

2) DL Hall -  He is changing from a thrower to a pitcher.  His pitches are off the chart but he has to calm down.  Still has to master his pitches from the stretch.   Begins as AAA but he is likely to find his control early in the season. TOR Starter in the making.

100 IP   3.50 ERA

3) Kyle Bradish  -  Has the pitches and the durability.  Will blow up now and then but overall he has he stuff to beat any team on a given day.   Will be going deep in games soon.  #2 stuff.

170 IP   3.28 ERA (like 2nd half)

4) Dean Kremer -  Growing into a solid starter.   His stuff is there.   #3 Stuff

160 IP  3.23 ERA (like last year)

5) John Means -   Former All Star just needs to get healthy.  See him in July.  May be better in 2024 than in 2023.  #3 stuff

75 IP  3.81 ERA (Career ERA)

6) Tyler Wells -  He goes 5 innings and allows 1 run, he could be in the rotation to begin the season.   Average fastball but he has 5 pitches.  #4 starter stuff

130 IP   3.38 ERA  (last year 1st half)

7)   Cole Irvin -  I have enjoyed watching him this spring but he is only facing AAA competition.   I still need to understand  why he had a 5.26 ERA away from Oakland Stadium.   #5 

Capable of  180 IP    4.20 ERA

8  Kyle Gibson -  The O's defense, the Wall and Holt/Holmes  coaching will help him but he is only a #5.   Similar to Jordan Lyles. May be traded in July for  a prospect.

100 IP   4.32 ERA

9)  Spenser Watkins -  Good backup starter who pitches better as a starter than a reliever.  Will probably not see a lot of time in the majors. 

Capable of 140 IP  4.17 ERA as a starter but will probably not get that opportunity in the majors.

10)  Voth  - Probably a mid/long reliever and swing man.   Had a nice year as a starter for the O's last year. 

3.04 ERA  (like last season)

11) Bruce Zimmermann -  Looks better this spring but I really can't place him after last years performance.

Edited by wildcard
  • Thanks 1

For the first time in my memory, the O's have better depth than the Yankees.  Yankees rotation is looking week w/ Severino having lat strain and Rodon already having arm problems.  Have to give credit to Elias for at least getting plenty of SP depth, even if most of us would have like a better FA signing than Gibson.

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I know it's ST, but I'm concerned with GRod so far. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the OD roster. Maybe Wells gets the 5th starter instead?

He's under 20 innings right?

Yea, I'm not worried about Grayson.

Now I am worried the FO will try and further game his service time.  (I think he should have been up last year before he got hurt)

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's under 20 innings right?

Yea, I'm not worried about Grayson.

Now I am worried the FO will try and further game his service time.  (I think he should have been up last year before he got hurt)

Maybe I should have said that I'm worried that the O's won't include GRod on the opening day roster because his stats aren't as good as Wells, which gives Elias an excuse to game service time.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Maybe I should have said that I'm worried that the O's won't include GRod on the opening day roster because his stats aren't as good as Wells, which gives Elias an excuse to game service time.  

I'm expecting it and if it happens hopefully there's no freak injury at AAA that ends up delaying GRod until mid-season.

Aside from Grayson they are pretty much interchangeable. All should be pretty good, but no aces in the bunch. Grayson has ace ceiling but hasn't established it yet and even in the best case scenario isn't going to pitch full starter innings. If I had to win a game I would probably give the ball to Grayson. For overall WAR I'd pick Kremer but I'd put all of Grayson, Kremer, Gibson, Bradish, and Irvin in about the same range.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

This thread is based on your biased opinion going into spring training and takes zero into account from spring performances.

This could have been posted a month ago and you would have had the exact same thing.

This is for the most part true.   I adjusted GRod's innings back because I think he may spend some time in the minors.   And I am a little more optimistic about Irvin then I was before ST began.