Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

Frazier has been a perfectly capable ML second baseman this year.  He's on a path to earning his salary.  As others have mentioned, it's pretty clear that Elias's goal was to raise the floor at second base.  Frazier has certainly done that.  Would one of the rookies have done better?  Maybe.  Westburg certainly looks the part.  But, both Urias and Frazier have done well and neither is going to be given away.  I still believe that the trade deadline may open up some space.

Google definition of a person called a scrub and you get:

Read below. To me, that's name calling. Against board rules. You may not like Frazier on any level you want, but NO ONE on the Orioles meets that definition. 

What does scrub mean? Loser A person thought of as a jerk or loser, having little class and being generally annoying; often labeled as such because he mooches off of others.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I understand what you think.  Me and you are pretty much on the same page, and have been the whole time, regarding the Frazier saga.

What I can't understand is wanting to see Odor in a O's uniform again.  I literally can't fathom it.

I don’t think anyone is saying that.  They’re saying that as between Frazier plus $8 mm (which they hate) vs. Odor at the minimum (which they also hate), they hate Odor at the minimum a little less.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

There is no way I would want Odor over Frazier so I'm not even sure how that could be pined for be anybody not related to Odor. I will say what I said on 105.7 this afternoon, I still think Westburg was and is the best option as the everyday 2B. That doesn't mean Frazier hasn't been doing ok, and obviously the power has surprised us all, but if I had my druthers, Westburg would be manning 2B and Frazier would be a utility guy filling in at 2B and corner outfield and providing a contact bat off the bench late in games. 

It's also worth noting that Frazier's lack of ability to get the ball out of his glove last night in the 9th cost the Orioles a game ending double-play. Little things like that don't always show up in the defensive metrics and for the most part he's been fine at tuning DPs, but he has made a few more mistakes then I was expecting defensively.

But I'll take the power that I wasn't expecting over the slight slip in defense. 

Saying all of that, I'm not sure you mix with a winning formula. the Orioles re clearly winning a lot of games with Frazier at 2B and has contributed in several games with key hits. For all of his limitations, he is a high leverage guy and does a lot of things to help a team win that also doesn't show up in the box scores or stats. 

Do I still think Westburg would have been the better option this year at 2B? I do. Am I'm concerned that Frazier is the main starter at 2B right now? No I am not. 

BTW, I think it would be interesting to mic up Frazier during the game and see if he's really always that deadpan/boring or if that is just his interview style?

I think this sums up my feelings on Frazier very well.  I was not in favor of him, but he has been a positive addition in a couple of ways.  Like Tony says, it isn't so much that I don't want Westburg to play...but at this point, I am no longer bothered by Frazier.  The one point I want to see the remainder of the way is that we still have to have Westburg or Ortiz ready by next year.  Hopefully they seize the opportunities when given.

Frazier as a solid floor veteran has so far at least been a better move than I thought.

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

I understand what you think.  Me and you are pretty much on the same page, and have been the whole time, regarding the Frazier saga.

What I can't understand is wanting to see Odor in a O's uniform again.  I literally can't fathom it.

That's not what I said. I said I'd prefer seeing Odor at the league minimum again to paying Adam Frazier $8 million and getting the production Frazier has provided. I hated Odor last season and would never want him back. But I despise the Frazier signing even more. Especially considering Frazier has blocked Ortiz and Westburg for the entire season.

O's Hangout is the ultimate place where people put words in your mouth. It's super annoying. Now I just need DirtyBird to come in and drop a one-liner of pure nonsense.

1 hour ago, purplepittabread88 said:

I’m a university of Washington student and one of my friends works for the mariners. He said Frazier was always killing and craving cigarettes. Always leaving to go smoke one. That’s probably why he looks so nuts at the end of games when they extend his time in between cigs with a forced interview 

Even if total fiction I find this just funny as all hell. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Frazier has been a perfectly capable ML second baseman this year.  He's on a path to earning his salary.  As others have mentioned, it's pretty clear that Elias's goal was to raise the floor at second base.  Frazier has certainly done that.  Would one of the rookies have done better?  Maybe.  Westburg certainly looks the part.  But, both Urias and Frazier have done well and neither is going to be given away.  I still believe that the trade deadline may open up some space.

I agree with this. Heck, I believe he’s on pace for 20 HR. Westburg is not his fault. There’s enough ABs to go around for Westburg in the IF. It just has to be a rotation system. Especially with Mountcastle out. 

On 6/15/2023 at 2:15 AM, Brooks The Great said:

That's not what I said. I said I'd prefer seeing Odor at the league minimum again to paying Adam Frazier $8 million and getting the production Frazier has provided. I hated Odor last season and would never want him back. But I despise the Frazier signing even more. Especially considering Frazier has blocked Ortiz and Westburg for the entire season.

I don’t understand the thought process here. 

Frazier has gone a long way in prohibiting Ortiz and Westburg from playing, but there are other players who get in the way, too. And while Frazier does cost 8 million, that doesn’t mean Elias would have spent the 8 million somewhere else if he hadn’t signed Frazier. 

I’d take Frazier at 8 million easily just so I wouldn’t have to watch Odor strike out 2+ times every game. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Today's starting pitcher for the Cubs is a RHP in Hendricks. Frazier is a must start. He has a .448 Batting Average in 29 ABs against Hendricks. Plus, his glove will be important with Irvin on the mound.

You mean the glove that is average at best this year?

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2023 at 2:19 PM, Too Tall said:

Google definition of a person called a scrub and you get:

Read below. To me, that's name calling. Against board rules. You may not like Frazier on any level you want, but NO ONE on the Orioles meets that definition. 

What does scrub mean? Loser A person thought of as a jerk or loser, having little class and being generally annoying; often labeled as such because he mooches off of others.

Not too butt in ….Butt sports definitions and basic definitions are generally different. To me a scrub at the majors is that of a AAAA player. He’s never going to be anything more than a space filler. Looking at his WAR Frazier has 1.1 WAR….so he has a shot at anywhere from 2-3. That’s not really a scrub no matter what definition you are using. Fans want the next wave of rookies so bashing the replacement types is kind of common.

• Upvote 1