Probable rain out today in Detroit (Update: Game is postponed)

wildcard

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Thus far.

It's also fair to point out that he looks like a very different offensive player than he has historically looked. 

No question.

I think it's also fair to point out though, that performance is what it is.

And that oftentimes there is a misguided tendency to substitute expectations for performance.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, owknows said:

No question.

I think it's also fair to point out though, that performance is what it is.

And that oftentimes there is a misguided tendency to substitute expectations for performance.

So do you believe that when the year is over, we’ll be saying Mateo was better than Adiey?   I do not.  And I like Mateo a lot.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So do you believe that when the year is over, we’ll be saying Mateo was better than Adiey?   I do not.  And I like Mateo a lot.  

Can he suppress the K's is the main question for me. Right now he's rolling around 15%. Historically, he's 26.6%.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jorge-mateo/17273/stats?position=SS

He's outperforming every one of the projection services by 10%.

That's a lot. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see no reason at this time to believe that Mateo's performance will not be superior to Adley's at the end of the year.

I see that there is an expectation on many people's part that Adley's performance will be superior..  but that is kind of my point.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'll put it this way:

If this organization can take a guy like Mateo and transform him into what he's doing now, then we are in for a long, magnificent ride. 

Maybe they can! We'll find out.

I'm sure there are multiple things at play in Mateo's progression... assuming it sticks.

Coaching may play a role... physical development likely does (he seems beefier)... experience... confidence...

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'm sure there are multiple things at play in Mateo's progression... assuming it sticks.

Coaching may play a role... physical development likely does (he seems beefier)... experience... confidence...

I would be absolutely ecstatic if he continued this kind of run. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if he put up a .750 OPS come October.

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I would be absolutely ecstatic if he continued this kind of run. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if he put up a .750 OPS come October.

I'm pretty thrilled by it all.

But it does further complicate an already complicated middle infield logjam.

I think most assumed that both Mateo and Urias would be trade-expendable with the progression of Henderson/Westburg/Norby/Ortiz/Holliday.

but  both Mateo, and now an emerging Urias are making a serious case for staying put.