Thoughts on the draft lottery?

Mr-splash

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You also have a situation in the NBA in which the players have considerably more power than in MLB.  Players can effectively force a team to move them, sometimes even picking the destination.

I find it extremely irritating.   

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm all for free agency but yea, once you sign a contract you should honor it.

I agree with this, but only if it holds for both sides. If a team can cut a player before the contract is up, a player should be able to “cut” a team. (And this is exclusively about free agent contracts,  draft contracts where the players are forced into a scale, they should absolutely be able to hold out if they exceed the value of the contract). 

As to the draft lottery I don’t think it really has enough impact that it changes incentives. If you want to change incentive you make a minimum salary floor or penalize teams compensatory picks/shared pool $

7 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I agree with this, but only if it holds for both sides. If a team can cut a player before the contract is up, a player should be able to “cut” a team. (And this is exclusively about free agent contracts,  draft contracts where the players are forced into a scale, they should absolutely be able to hold out if they exceed the value of the contract). 

As to the draft lottery I don’t think it really has enough impact that it changes incentives. If you want to change incentive you make a minimum salary floor or penalize teams compensatory picks/shared pool $

The player still gets paid.  If the player that "cuts" the team gives back all the remaining salary I could see your point.  As it is you get players who sign big deals with teams and then within a short period of time force trades in which the team trading them gets a fraction of their value.

I don't really follow the NBA so that is my take and may not be wholly accurate.

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

I agree with this, but only if it holds for both sides. If a team can cut a player before the contract is up, a player should be able to “cut” a team. 

I’m fine with that.  But NBA teams have no power to avoid their contractual obligations.  They can cut a player, but still have to pay them.  This isn’t the NFL.  So, the players should honor their obligations.  

The conundrum with extending Adley is his age. He's 25, and if Joe Mauer is able to provide us with any clue, a Catcher is likely to start to decline in his age 32 season. Catcher's have shorter careers than most other positions. I was a huge fan of Ivan Rodriguez, but by his mid 30s he wasn't the same elite player that he was before.

All of this is to say that alot of foresight and planning must go into the considerations to extend a player such as Adley. The fact is that the Orioles have team control up through Adley's age 29 season and Adley is scheduled to be a free agent in his age 30 season. This timing complicates things.

Also to make things complicated is the fact that relationships with players are often spoiled in the arbitration process, so it might be wise to extend Adley up through his age 32 season and buy out 2 or 3 years of free agency.  If there's an impass and Adley won't take it or wants more years, the Orioles should front load the money so that if anything happens in the final years of the contract, it won't be as much of a hindrance to operate the team.

Otherwise, the only course action from the status quo is for the team to try to do everything within their power during Arbitration to make Adley satisfied while they have team control. Don't let the arbitration process damage their relationship with him.

24 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The conundrum with extending Adley is his age. He's 25, and if Joe Mauer is able to provide us with any clue, a Catcher is likely to start to decline in his age 32 season. Catcher's have shorter careers than most other positions. I was a huge fan of Ivan Rodriguez, but by his mid 30s he wasn't the same elite player that he was before.

All of this is to say that alot of foresight and planning must go into the considerations to extend a player such as Adley. The fact is that the Orioles have team control up through Adley's age 29 season and Adley is scheduled to be a free agent in his age 30 season. This timing complicates things.

Also to make things complicated is the fact that relationships with players are often spoiled in the arbitration process, so it might be wise to extend Adley up through his age 32 season and buy out 2 or 3 years of free agency.  If there's an impass and Adley won't take it or wants more years, the Orioles should front load the money so that if anything happens in the final years of the contract, it won't be as much of a hindrance to operate the team.

Otherwise, the only course action from the status quo is for the team to try to do everything within their power during Arbitration to make Adley satisfied while they have team control. Don't let the arbitration process damage their relationship with him.

Uh, wrong thread?